Tobacco use in sports

nash61

I really don't understand dipping. At least cigarettes have some historical "cool" behind them, work great as personal props and tap into the American myth of the individual.

But dipping? Nobody in history has ever made a case that chewing a wad of tobacco was sexy, sophisticated, or glamorous. "Bovine Chic" has yet to sweep the world.

It gives the same rush as cigarettes so most athletes, such as myself, will dip because it doesn't wreck your lungs. Plus, you can do it basically anywhere as it's way easier to hide than smoking a cigarette.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't understand dipping. At least cigarettes have some historical "cool" behind them, work great as personal props and tap into the American myth of the individual.

But dipping? Nobody in history has ever made a case that chewing a wad of tobacco was sexy, sophisticated, or glamorous. "Bovine Chic" has yet to sweep the world.

It gives the same rush as cigarettes so most athletes, such as myself, ill dip because it doesn't wreck your lungs. Plus, you can do it basically anywhere as it's way easier to hide than smoking a cigarette.
Weeelll thank goodness for that!

IbjBaeE.png

Why don't athletes just...chew gum?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

most athletes, such as myself, will dip because it doesn't wreck your lungs.

dat mouth tho

Mmm Mmm Good

(don't look if you're easily grossed out or even mildly grossed out)

mouth-cancer-from-chewing-tobacco.jpg

sportstar is going to be getting the lady's with his new mouth.

You know, I gotta be honest, now that he's been humbled and doesn't get to lord over an entire network news division, Keith Olbermann is really really good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It gives the same rush as cigarettes so most athletes, such as myself, will dip because it doesn't wreck your lungs. Plus, you can do it basically anywhere as it's way easier to hide than smoking a cigarette.

If you're around it enough, it's pretty easy to tell when someone has a dip in.

Some of my baseball teammates in high school used to do it on the back of the bus on the way to road games and our coach carried a briefcase with nothing but skoal in it and dipped during the games. I tried it once and almost puked. That was in 2005/2006.

I'd be interested to know if both of those things still happen.

PvO6ZWJ.png

And because they're carrying around an previously empty waterbottle with nasty brown liquid in it.

It's not nearly as discreet as people think.

IbjBaeE.png

And because they're carrying around an previously empty waterbottle with nasty brown liquid in it.

It's not nearly as discreet as people think.

More discreet than haveing a smoke cloud around you, and if you are outside you can just spit it on the ground. My colonel who I've known for 4 years just this past year i found out he dips. I always thought he kept them coke cans around because he was drinking out of them.

beside ortiz and peavy, are there other high profile MLB players that use it ?

Tim Lincecum, (former player) Manny Ramirez, Chase Utley, Nick Swisher, Pablo Sandoval, Raul Ibanez, (manager) Terry Francona, Josh Hamilton, Stephen Strasburg and Jayson Werth

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Stephen Strasburg

Not any more.
I think Hamilton quit too. At least I remember he was going to a couple years back at the end of the season but they were in the division race and Nolan Ryan wanted him to wait until the off-season.

Think I've seen Chris Sale do it too.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I expect that at least half these guys will fall right back off the wagon, some before the summer is out, but Deadspin won't post about that.

That I can say this with such certainty just attests to how awful and evil tobacco is, and how important it is for the MLBPA to act on behalf of the health of its members in getting tobacco out of the majors for good. No one should feel obligated to use this product, but that's what its mere presence does. So get it out. If it "gives guys that extra rush," then it's a performance-enhancing drug. Some cost you your balls, this one costs you your tongue or your life.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived