Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

I think puma made their early uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was Adidas?

It was Puma, but that's beside the point. Reebok was able to take designs from the companies they inherited the contract from and transition them without sacrificing the design. Nike didn't care to find a way to retain the little details like that Titans example. Their template was more important. Some teams told them to go piss up a rope and kept their old cut, but most didn't.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I thought it was Adidas?

It was Puma, but that's beside the point. Reebok was able to take designs from the companies they inherited the contract from and transition them without sacrificing the design. Nike didn't care to find a way to retain the little details like that Titans example. Their template was more important. Some teams told them to go piss up a rope and kept their old cut, but most didn't.

Then it's the teams fault. You just said it yourself.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I thought it was Adidas?

They're actually both at fault. Nike's responsible for pushing their revolutionary new template that took shortcuts and sacrificed parts of team identities and it's the team's fault for blindly accepting whatever Nike presented.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I thought it was Adidas?

They're actually both at fault. Nike's responsible for pushing their revolutionary new template that took shortcuts and sacrificed parts of team identities and it's the team's fault for blindly accepting whatever Nike presented.

But it wasn't blind. They looked at it and said OK. As stated, other teams looked at it nd not only said "no", but elected to not even use Nike as their suppler.

I thought it was Adidas?

But it wasn't blind. They looked at it and said OK. As stated, other teams looked at it nd not only said "no", but elected to not even use Nike as their suppler.

Blind wasn't the right word. They carelessly adopted whatever Nike presented them.

Take the Jets for example. Nike delivered a garbage product to them and they said okay. It's Nike's fault for not providing them an option where the greens match across their template and it's the Jets fault for just accepting said garbage. If Nike provides a good jersey then the Jets aren't wearing that mess. The Jets could've said no, but Nike also could've been responsible and handled their uniform in a not slapdash fashion.They're both at fault.

But now we're getting away from what I meant initially - Nike changed features of teams' designs to conform to their new template. Reebok conformed their templates to the team's designs.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I thought it was Adidas?

I keep wanting to disagree with BBVT on this issue, but I can't. Obviously Nike wants to use these as a billboard for themselves. I'd even guess that their contract includes some sort of a provision that at least a few teams are going to be Nike-ized (i.e., the league worked with Seattle to be the team that gets the Nike treatment). Yeah, a lot about this, and Nike, sucks but ultimately, the league and teams signed a deal and whatever the provisions are, they did not have to agree to them. They could have signed a deal that gives Nike no power outside of putting the swoosh on the sleeves and that would have been for less money.

Yes Nike is running wild, but there is no getting around the fact that the NFL is allowing it.

I am sure Nike or someone else would live to go crazy with MLB uniforms. Thus far, MLB has not allowed it to happen (outside of BP). Hopefully MLB will recognize that history is a key component and not allow some manufacturer to advertise itself with random piping, side panels and other "fashion jersey" looks. But if they do, it will be their own fault.

I do agree with McCarthy that Reebok did a better job than Nike. But the teams and league could have and should have provided better oversight to prevent this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The number font gets worse and worse with every new number we see. It doesn't have any kind of internal consistency. I think they were going for Zorro slicing into fabric in the 24th century, but you just can't make the numbers the way they show them to be.

Wait until you see the 7, and all of the lettering.

I've already got my bottle of Captain Morgan next to the computer in anticipation!

Here is the full numerical set. I will post the lettering soon.

BucsNumbers.png

The 7! UGH!

Yes Nike is running wild, but there is no getting around the fact that the NFL is allowing it.

I do agree with McCarthy that Reebok did a better job than Nike. But the teams and league could have and should have provided better oversight to prevent this.

Wow. Three or four years ago, who would of thought that this statement would ever be made? It's interesting... I think in the instances in which Nike simply came in and recreated existing designs, the on-field product generally looks better. (With a few obvious exceptions... Jets and Titans, for example.) But that's not really what everyone wants to discuss... what gets the people talking are the major overhauls and redbranding projects. And IMO if you compare the "cutting edge" redesigns done under Reeboks watch (Chargers, Cardinals, Vikings, etc) to the "cutting edge" redesigns of the past 3 years (Seahawks, Jaguars, Bucs), the Reebok unforms are all better. Still crappy, yes, but all of the former are obviously more about the individual team, and less about the manufacturer. I feel like Reebok was so much less likely to impose their corporate will on the teams (in fact most of the uniforms from the mid to late 00's seem to be more of a product of NFL properties then of Reebok) and, if not carefully controled by the team, Nike would be happy to make each redesign about them.

That's why I feel this whole "who's to blame" argument just really misses the point. People keep saying that the teams should be held more accountable because "of course, Nike is going to try to promote themselves first... that's their job". But, no... it isn't. At least it shouldn't be, not in this case. IMO Nike's number one responsibity here is to create the best possible product for the client. Any self-promotion should be a far distant second to that.

Sure, the team should be invoved in the process, and in the end is to "blame" for what they end up agreeing to. But why should they (the client) have to be so mindful of the possibilty that the company the league hired to make them look good will try to hijack the process? Why do we all just blindly accept that the company in charge of the NFL's uniforms will just "obviously" choose self-promotion over the needs of their client if they aren't watched like a hawk? That's a ridiculous position.

Yes the NFL & teams are at fault but Nike is at fault for really just having bad designs.

I do not care if the NFL or team approved them Nike still brought them to our viewing.

There is no way the teams or NFL said please put cut off stripes on our pants because that is look we must have in the NFL, oh yeah by the way please make a lot of the uniform elements not match as well.

Wow. Three or four years ago, who would of thought that this statement would ever be made? It's interesting... I think in the instances in which Nike simply came in and recreated existing designs, the on-field product generally looks better. (With a few obvious exceptions... Jets and Titans, for example.) But that's not really what everyone wants to discuss... what gets the people talking are the major overhauls and redbranding projects. And IMO if you compare the "cutting edge" redesigns done under Reeboks watch (Chargers, Cardinals, Vikings, etc) to the "cutting edge" redesigns of the past 3 years (Seahawks, Jaguars, Bucs), the Reebok unforms are all better. Still crappy, yes, but all of the former are obviously more about the individual team, and less about the manufacturer. I fee like Reebok was so much less likely to impose their corporate will on the teams (in fact most of the ubiforms from the mid to late 00's seem to be more of a product of NFL properties then of Reebok) and, if not carefully controled by the team, Nike would be happy tp mke each redeign about them.

That's why I feel this whole "who's to blame" argument just really misses the point. People keep saying that the teams should be held more accountable because "of course, Nike is going to try to promote themselves first... that's their job". But, no... it isn't. At least it shouldn't be, not in this case. IMO Nike's number one responsibity here is to create the best possible product for the client. Any self-promotion should be a far distant second to that.

Sure, the team should be invoved in the process, and in the end is to "blame" for what they end up agreeing to. But why should they (the client) have to be so mindful of the possibilty that their company the league hired to make them look good will try to hijack the process? Why do we all just blindly accept that the company in charge of the NFL's uniforms will just "obviously" choose self-promotion over the needs of their client if they aren't watched like a hawk? That's a ridiculous position.

Amen to this Nike should be about the goal of making every team look better

I would argue that what's been going on in college football for a few years should have been a giant, flashing warning sign to the NFL. And in contract negotiations, the league should have spelled out that "This is about creating uniforms that are consistent with team identities and not about creating Nike identity in team colors." And then each team should have said "you will make a design that is about (for example) the Seattle Seahawks and not Nike."

Do I have issues with Nike's designs? Of course. Is it good that uniform design is now about the manufacturer and not the team? No. But to OSV's point of:

Why do we all just blindly accept that the company in charge of the NFL's uniforms will just "obviously" choose self-promotion over the needs of their client if they aren't watched like a hawk? That's a ridiculous position.

I think that's the way it is. The companies do this now and it's up to the teams/leagues/schools to put a stop to it. So we kinda do have to accept it. And it's the NFL. They could have stopped this crap if they'd wanted to.

Look at the Pro Bowl uniforms. No matter how much the Pro Bowl sucks, it's the one event where the uniform does not run through and individual team. Yeah, it's not "sacred" but thousands of people watch it and the league allowed it to be the "Nike Bowl"...that has to be on the NFL.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I thought it was Adidas?

For the vast majority of clubs, rbk did absolutely nothing to transition as the new supplier other than change the logo. They simply used the existing contracted jersey manufacturers (Ripon, Wilson, etc.) which in effect meant there was zero change in the transition. What nike has undertaken is completely different by attempting to switch all 32 teams to a new supplier using their fabrics and template.

If you truly want to compare rbk to nike as nfl suppliers you have to look at what rbk/adi actually brought to the table as a supplier:

• Several horribly trendy and already dated redeisgns (falcons, vikings, cards, etc.)
  • rbk/adi tech-fit uniforms which looked horrible on field due to the horrible warping of stripes and numbers
  • ugly on field nfl equipment merchandise

Compare that to nike:

• A mixed bag of redesigns, some good (vikings) and some horrible (jags/bucs)
  • Some teams shoehorned into templates that don't look good (jets) while others have more consistent and improved looks while others actually have improved (chiefs).
  • superior merchandise but noticeably higher price points.

All in all it seems like the switch over from rbk to nike really comes out as a wash. What I do like about the nike on field is that there are considerably less templates being worn which at least makes the uniforms look much more consistent within a single squad.

Here's the Red jersey version:

TampaBayBuccaneers_UFN0701a_2014_SCC_SRG

No - the actual uniform doesn't have a gradient - this is just to visually represent Chrome.

The dot pattern however, IS part of the actual design. Like the patterns in the Seahawks' numbers

And what kind of high tech things do the dots do? Repel sweat? Makes you run faster?

Enhances your reflexes.

Nauseates your opponent.

In keeping with the Buccaneer theme embodied throughout the uniform, the dots symbolize an outbreak of smallpox aboard a pirate ship.

87Redskins.png

_N2V9751.jpeg

New Bucs with the jerseys.

Poor Verner just can't escape that shoulder yoke, can he?
Seeing all those numbers together must be an 11 year old's video game dream. Middle schooler's rejoice!

I don't quite get that, but I do think tha the 8s look like slashed 0s. ø

Archived