2014 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, instead of getting possibly the best available pitcher at the trade deadline, the M's end up with two crappy hitters. One guy (Denorfia) was wasting away in San Diego and the other (Jackson) was part of the Price deal.

Give me and any other Mariner fans one damn good reason why that brainless monkey they call a GM is still there? In fact, I secretly wish that they tank the rest of the way as a sign to the fans that they shouldn't deal with this kind of idiocy.

I think you're just mad the Mariners didn't get Price

*e-Dope Slaps DNASports*

DUH! All this talk about getting Price and what happens? Nothing. I get that they needed bats, but two guys who are basically .240+ hitters aren't going to cut it, especially now that Oakland has (once again) beefed up it's pitching rotation and, oh yeah, both Toronto and New York are still good teams and Seattle has to chase them for that last wild card.

It's basically World Series or bust for the Tigers. If they don't win, don't be surprised if they fire the first-year manager. With the Yankees, same goes. In 2011, when they lost the ALDS to the Tigers, the Yankee president Randy Levine said, When you don't win the World Series, it is a bitter disappointment and not a successful year."

That applies to the Tigers, A's, Cardinals, Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, and other contending teams.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140624/SPORTS02/306240039/motor-city-bengals-detroit-tigers-brad-ausmus

http://espn.go.com/newyork/conversations/_/id/7071773/2011-alds-new-york-yankees-randy-levine-says-season-failure

It's basically World Series or bust for the Tigers. If they don't win, don't be surprised if they fire the first-year manager. With the Yankees, same goes. In 2011, when they lost the ALDS to the Tigers, the Yankee president Randy Levine said, When you don't win the World Series, it is a bitter disappointment and not a successful year."

That applies to the Tigers, A's, Cardinals, Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, and other contending teams.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140624/SPORTS02/306240039/motor-city-bengals-detroit-tigers-brad-ausmus

http://espn.go.com/newyork/conversations/_/id/7071773/2011-alds-new-york-yankees-randy-levine-says-season-failure

I'd like to ask why you're so obsessed with the world series and think that after every big trade a team has to be world series or bust...

I'd like to ask why you're so obsessed with the world series and think that after every big trade a team has to be world series or bust...

Because, that's the way it is. Win now or nothing was won. Period.

My predictions barring a last-minute surprise deal.

AL EAST

New York

Toronto

Baltimore

Boston

Tampa Bay

AL CENTRAL

Detroit

Kansas City

Cleveland

Chicago

Minnesota

AL WEST

Los Angeles

x-Oakland

x-Seattle

Texas

Houston

NL EAST

Washington

x-Atlanta

Miami

New York

Philadelphia

NL CENTRAL

St. Louis

x- Milwaukee

Pittsburgh

Cincinnati

Chicago

NL WEST

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Arizona

San Diego

Colorado

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

AL EAST

New York

Toronto

Baltimore

Boston

Tampa Bay

AL CENTRAL

Detroit

Kansas City

Cleveland

Chicago

Minnesota

AL WEST

Los Angeles

x-Oakland

x-Seattle

Texas

Houston

NL EAST

Washington

x-Atlanta

Miami

New York

Philadelphia

NL CENTRAL

St. Louis

x- Milwaukee

Pittsburgh

Cincinnati

Chicago

NL WEST

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Arizona

San Diego

Colorado

I see the Orioles dropping to second in the AL East if anything

AL EAST

New York

Toronto

Baltimore

Boston

Tampa Bay

AL CENTRAL

Detroit

Kansas City

Cleveland

Chicago

Minnesota

AL WEST

Los Angeles

x-Oakland

x-Seattle

Texas

Houston

NL EAST

Washington

x-Atlanta

Miami

New York

Philadelphia

NL CENTRAL

St. Louis

x- Milwaukee

Pittsburgh

Cincinnati

Chicago

NL WEST

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Arizona

San Diego

Colorado

I have the Giants as a NL wild card.

I hope that if the Red Sox are a better team in the future, and if they are in the World Series soon, and the Cardinals are in it too, that the Cardinals have a chance. That Game 6 broke Michael Wacha's heart, and with a power hitter like Cespedes, it'll be more painful to watch.

You're banned from ever mentioning Wacha again.

Fine. I'm just discussing that horrible night. Okay.

I'm just discussing how that night in Fenway lit a burning and irascible passion with this Cardinals ballclub.

*re-checks Cardinals record*

I've seen more passion from :censored: ing pandas than from the 2014 Cardinals. Granted passion is worthless in baseball anyways...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, we know the Red Sox will be active in the winter. Let's hope this time it goes better than the 2011-2012 fiasco.

Heck, the Red Sox could make the wild card. They're a couple games out of the wild card, but in baseball, anything could happen.
Just because it's mathematically possible doesn't mean it's anywhere close to feasible. They are 10.5 games out of a wild card spot and 13 out of the al east. They also need to have everyone else bomb hard too.

Do we need a Pointless Prognostication thread to go with the Pointless Realignment thread? Let's cool it with the daily division predictions.

VmWIn6B.png

The Detroit vs. Oakland ALCS would be absolutely incredible, and I'm willing to place a larger wager that MLB-induced first round chaos will rob of us that matchup from happening.

Besides, Detroit's still going to derp there way to some highly mediocre 90-win type season and still be unbeatable come October. It's a tired act. I wish the Tigers would play to their talent level because that team, in that division, should be 95 wins easy.

--

First Yankees/Red Sox trade since 1997. Figures that it came 20 minutes after I snarked about no Yankees/Red Sox trades on Twitter.

spacer.png

Archived