New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

I don't think the B is necessary. A solid block C with the striping pattern is pretty solid.

I don't know. The Bengals "B" logo seems widely disliked here.

Yeah, that's because they use the team initial rather than the city initial. Plus it's in a terrible font, but I think we mostly hate it because they use a "B".

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love the gray mask debate.

i think IceCap has gotten closest to WHY teams do this. there is an argument to made that the mask is a neutral piece of equipment, but i don't think it works well unless you treat all the others (mouthpieces, arm bands, gloves, cleats, undershirts) the same way.

the reason gray mask are added to helmets is to complete a vintage aesthetic. it doesn't matter what the team colors are or if it "looks good". those things have nothing to do with anything here. the Browns, Colts, Giants, etc. are going for vintage design. they could al be better with striped socks, black cleats/gloves, and so on, but the most important brand piece of the uniform is the helmet and a face mask color choice give you an idea about what that team wants you to think of them. "vintage, old-school, traditional".

I know why they do it but I believe a logoless helmet lets me know their vintage without throwing the gray facemask in there.

I get it but just dont like it as said above it is a personal preference.

I don't buy the argument about its "a piece of equipment so it does not matter the color" because like someone else said so is the helmet.

By the way we are not derailing the thread because their is no news on the Browns right now.

i love the gray mask debate.

i think IceCap has gotten closest to WHY teams do this. there is an argument to made that the mask is a neutral piece of equipment, but i don't think it works well unless you treat all the others (mouthpieces, arm bands, gloves, cleats, undershirts) the same way.

the reason gray mask are added to helmets is to complete a vintage aesthetic. it doesn't matter what the team colors are or if it "looks good". those things have nothing to do with anything here. the Browns, Colts, Giants, etc. are going for vintage design. they could al be better with striped socks, black cleats/gloves, and so on, but the most important brand piece of the uniform is the helmet and a face mask color choice give you an idea about what that team wants you to think of them. "vintage, old-school, traditional".

EXACTLY. The colts look old school, if they were to switch back to blue facemasks they would look very 90s. Same with the Giants and the niners. (Although the Giants do employ grey in their uniform). On the other end of the spectrum gray looks kinda weird on a modern uniform like AZ, though I feel like any color wouldn't look great on that helmet.

Teams that, IMHO, would look better with gray facemasks?

Bears (for the same reasons it works for the Colts and Browns)

Redskins (because the yellow mask is nauseating)

Lions (because the black is out of place)

Steelers (for the same reason it works for the Colts and Browns)

Patriots (because the red mask is out of place)

Buccaneers (because chrome is for preteen dopes)

Chiefs (because 99.999% of white masks suck)(and for the same reason it works for the Colts and Browns)

and Vikings (because I just like gray masks)

Okay, I hate the Browns in a gray mask, but seriously, if the Chiefs ever change to gray, I'm seriously going to shank someone. The Chiefs look great with a white facemask.

I think the Bears would look bad with a gray mask. Maybe I'd view it differently if they never switched from gray, but I think it would detract from the look. I think it would be a little more tolerable if the logo was single-color. As is, we already have navy, orange and white on the helmet, so it feels like going minimalist on the facemask would be silly. Plus, the team has around 35 years of history in a navy mask with the same helmets and uniforms. It seemed like an unnecessary change.

Steelers - see Bears. Plus, a gray mask would look even more out of place inches above the awful italicized font. Fix that font before we consider anything else.

Lions - They'd look alright with gray, but they'd look even better with blue like in the Sanders era. And this time, maybe they could make it the right shade instead of just going to royal blue.

Vikings - I think that would be a somewhat interesting look. It would be far better than stupidly going with black as they've done now. Still, I think purple is preferable.

Redskins - I don't mind the yellow mask, but I guess that's because it's all I've known. With as busy as the helmet is, I feel like gray would look half-assed.

Bucs - black would be preferable if they hadn't replaced it with "dark pewter" in all their brilliance.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Browns using just a C is a logo would be much more acceptable than the Bengals using it because there's no real imagery potential for the name Browns, whereas there's plenty for the name Bengals (including their 97-03 primary)

Plus, like I said, the Bengals logo wouldn't get nearly as much hate if it is a striped "C" for Cincinnati. We don't need a "B" for Bengals. The tiger stripes already represent the name.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Point taken with regard to the Bengals "B". I'm certainly no fan of it and own nothing with it on it. That being said, stripes on a "C" would be hard to pull off. Not sure why they didn't just flip the tiger head around to the right direction and keep it. It's the best they've ever had.

Teams that, IMHO, would look better with gray facemasks?

Bears (for the same reasons it works for the Colts and Browns)

Redskins (because the yellow mask is nauseating)

Lions (because the black is out of place)

Steelers (for the same reason it works for the Colts and Browns)

Patriots (because the red mask is out of place)

Buccaneers (because chrome is for preteen dopes)

Chiefs (because 99.999% of white masks suck)(and for the same reason it works for the Colts and Browns)

and Vikings (because I just like gray masks)

I agree with all of these. Except for the ones I crossed out.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So, getting back to the Browns,https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxwiOObIIAEkdpJ.jpg:large

The bottom left helmet is likely to be it.

Buyers beware, as we all know how sketchy reddit can be, but go ahead and form your own opinion here http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2wdfj9/i_saw_the_browns_new_logohelmet/

I'm pretty sure all he did was play around with urls, but he's done this for two years in a row and found the Super Bowl winners gear the week of the game.

In this case he says he found some shirts with the new logo on it.

for those who don't want to read it, here's what he says he found:

Darker orange helmet, brown facemask "different" stripe. My guess is white in the middle, brown borders.

I know you guys are good at doing the same url thing from when the Vikings uniforms were revealed on here, so maybe some one can work their magic?

So, getting back to the Browns,https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxwiOObIIAEkdpJ.jpg:large

The bottom left helmet is likely to be it.

Buyers beware, as we all know how sketchy reddit can be, but go ahead and form your own opinion here http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2wdfj9/i_saw_the_browns_new_logohelmet/

I'm pretty sure all he did was play around with urls, but he's done this for two years in a row and found the Super Bowl winners gear the week of the game.

In this case he says he found some shirts with the new logo on it.

for those who don't want to read it, here's what he says he found:

Darker orange helmet, brown facemask "different" stripe. My guess is white in the middle, brown borders.

I know you guys are good at doing the same url thing from when the Vikings uniforms were revealed on here, so maybe some one can work their magic?

I think he said something about the stripes tapering, as in that's the change being made to them.

Nobody will convince me a grey facemask will look better than a white or team color facemask. I just don't understand the appeal. Might as well make the whole helmet grey since that's "just a piece of equipment".

The only time I think a grey facemask looked good was on the Eagles, Cowboys, Raiders, Ohio State and teams who actually use a grey or silver in their color scheme. In every other case I think a color is a better option for the facemask. The Browns, Colts, and 49ers all looked better before going back to grey facemasks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Can I post my Browns concept logo?

new-browns-logo_zps66c04f32.png

I like this and the minimalist vibe its got going on. If they were to use this logo, and they obviously won't, I would be happy with it.

I love the concept but the execution could be different.

Make the helmet part a little more abstract and less literal.

Think of the Nordiques igloo as an example. Make the C more of a C. Maybe keep the ear hole, or not - would have to see it both ways. Consider dropping other outlines from the helmet and facemask. Again, would have to see it.

It's a great idea - but could be made even more minimalist.

Thanks. The original goal of the logo was to go totally abstract with the C and the b. The more I tinkered with it the less it looked like anything. Perhaps that's my failing as a designer, but it didn't read as a helmet, it didn't read as a monogram, it just looked like some blobs of orange and brown.

I spent a long time on it before deciding to go more literal with the helmet.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Nobody will convince me a grey facemask will look better than a white or team color facemask. I just don't understand the appeal. Might as well make the whole helmet grey since that's "just a piece of equipment".

The only time I think a grey facemask looked good was on the Eagles, Cowboys, Raiders, Ohio State and teams who actually use a grey or silver in their color scheme. In every other case I think a color is a better option for the facemask. The Browns, Colts, and 49ers all looked better before going back to grey facemasks.

What about a team like the Cardinals who has never changed from grey facemasks since they were the only color available? or a team going back to a uniform from that time (either as a full time look or a throwback)? or do you think this should be in the no tv numbers/no name on back area of "you can't have it even for accuracy's sake"?

Archived