Atlanta in MLS

bleuet

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so generic. I had my hopes up when they showed the picture of the city seal and the torch in the presentation. And then boom! Giant A and generic ass stripes. This could be the logo for any team with an 'A' in its name anywhere. And then there's the unnecessary/unexplained bevels, the offcenter A, and the frustrating way the stripes and the 'A' interact underneath the "bar" of the A.

And does anyone else feel like the thin black outline on the "A" is unnecessary?

Roundels,roundels,roundels everywhere.

When is the roundel invasion going to end????????

I don't think MLS has any more roundels than other soccer leagues worldwide. Still outnumbered by the poofy medieval crest shape a la SKC, Montreal, San Jose and Orlando. At any rate, the shape is the least of the problems with this identity I find. (Personally I feel more clubs could stand to go the way of Vancouver and try out an interesting, unusual shape.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

It's so generic. I had my hopes up when they showed the picture of the city seal and the torch in the presentation. And then boom! Giant A and generic ass stripes. This could be the logo for any team with an 'A' in its name anywhere. And then there's the unnecessary/unexplained bevels, the offcenter A, and the frustrating way the stripes and the 'A' interact underneath the "bar" of the A.

And does anyone else feel like the thin black outline on the "A" is unnecessary?

I think the reason it's there is so the A is separated from the stripes in the one color version.

After looking at it, The lettering is slightly different from my final version. The A should be a little wider, and the round letters (O, S, C, etc.) should be a tiny bit taller. It was also designed to be tracked out a bit as it is in the crest. I think it looks best that way. There are also specific versions of each letter that are shaped to fit with other letters (you can see how this was done on the AT and TA combos in the crest).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

CJWneU7UwAADeax.jpg

It is what it is.

That said, I don't know what other extensions (if any) exist of this brand identity, so until I do see those I won't base the totality of my opinion on this. True, the badge is probably the most prominent element of the identity (though probably not the most visible), but I learned some time ago that some thought has to go into how it fits within the overall identity--alternate logos, apparel, fan gear, all that stuff--and then there's the whole reproduction issue i.e. embroidery, screening, web, print, stationery. I'd have to see the creative brief on this project (fat chance!), but taking all that into consideration, perhaps they felt that this was the overall best/safest/easiest way to go. And if that's the case, so be it.

Based off this image here, I almost feel like the gold will play a huge role in the overall identity. And if so that'd definitely set them apart from the established black-and-red (& at one point striped) United side roughly 400 miles up the coast. I guess time (and success on the pitch) will bear that out.

Much has been said about the a/ usage of a simple "A" for primary symbolism and b/ the positioning of such. I think I can understand the reasoning of both. To the former, as ubiquitous as the colloquialism "ATL" is nationwide, so too is the simpler colloquialism "the A" in and around the Atlanta area (y'all can thank the Atlanta Braves for that). And as for the positioning of the A inside the circle, my guess is this: had they positioned the whole letter in the circle, the plane on which the base of the letter sits would've created more space below the letter and within the circle than there would've been above the plane at the top of the letter, which most likely would've looked unbalanced. And, by pushing the stems down into the circle (this may or may not come out in the marketing speak, but I don't doubt that some point someone somewhere brought this up), it kinda creates the effect of the A...ahem..."rising" from within the circle. (!) Far as the beveling, I'm sure that was merely just for creative effect. As it is, it's inoffensive.

I kinda like the font treatment. (Harry, if you're reading this, I'm sure you had something to do with that.) Looks like it was modified from Stratum. My only gripe about that is its similarity to the font used for the Columbus Crew SC badge. But again, solid and inoffensive.

And i guess that would have to be how I summarize what of this brand identity I see now: solid and inofensive. It is what it is.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

There were better options out there. I understand that multiple teams can be called 'United' or '(name) City' but when DC has had United since it's beginning it seems a little redundant. If you wanted to be generic just go with Atlanta FC/SC and let the fans name the team.

banner_zpsoxpwiuls.jpg

I am surprised everyone is confused about the "A" 's location. They were talking about the torch and invoking that imagery and I think it's clear that the "A" is positioned lower, with the prominent serifs, and the red "flame" stripe protruding from the top to symbolize the Olympic torch. I'm not implying it's executed well or that I think the logo is good, but it I'm 99.9% sure that is what they were going for.

I am surprised everyone is confused about the "A" 's location. They were talking about the torch and invoking that imagery and I think it's clear that the "A" is positioned lower, with the prominent serifs, and the red "flame" stripe protruding from the top to symbolize the Olympic torch. I'm not implying it's executed well or that I think the logo is good, but it I'm 99.9% sure that is what they were going for.

IF that's what they're going for, then it's not that clear.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yeah, I'm not buying that at all. And I don't think you can say it's "clear" that's the case when almost no one sees that. It MIGHT make sense if the red stripe were modified above the "A" to look like a flame...but I think it's more of just a result of the "A" being positioned lower than an actual thought in the design process.

gYH2mW9.png

Yeah, I'm not buying that at all. And I don't think you can say it's "clear" that's the case when almost no one sees that. It MIGHT make sense if the red stripe were modified above the "A" to look like a flame...but I think it's more of just a result of the "A" being positioned lower than an actual thought in the design process.

I'm not asking you to buy it, it is what it is. There's a reason for it's position, the serifs protruding like a torch, and the red stripe acting as it is. I think it's pretty clear.

I'm not asking you to buy it, it is what it is. There's a reason for it's position, the serifs protruding like a torch, and the red stripe acting as it is. I think it's pretty clear.

That's the point, you're the only one I've seen that's made that statement. If it was "pretty clear," then there would be a lot more commentary echoing that. But that isn't the case.

gYH2mW9.png

All depends on what direction they decide to go with the brand as a whole (as far as color balance), but I'd be content with that 3rd one. I don't think the black&red stripes in the background contrast enough with the phoenix logo, but it's the only logo I've seen based on the one they went with that has a sense of identity.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived