Atlanta in MLS

bleuet

If I am right, Atlanta is beginning play in the MLS in 2017. Big TV market + solid owner should make this one work.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/16/major-league-soccer-names-atlanta-22nd-franchise-set-2017-debut?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Paid

From the text: "The Atlanta team’s name and logo, along with the coaching and administrative staff, will be announced at a later date. Fans will be asked to provide their suggestions for the team name."

What are your suggestions?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still think that the Atlanta franchise will be a huge bust.

As far as names go: MLS has been trying to push the name Alliance onto teams for a while (Atlanta Alliance) as well as Republic (Atlanta Republic). If Blank wants to go to the cities soccer history we have Atlanta Apollo, Atlanta Silverbacks, Atlanta Chiefs, Atlanta Ruckus, or the Atlanta Attack. I believe the big youth soccer club from the Atlanta Region is the Concorde Fire, but I could be wrong.

Additionally I have read that the current buzz from the soccer fan base seems to be pushing for Atlanta Phoenix.

Out of the choices I listed above I like Alliance or Apollo but I am not a huge fan of any of them in particular. It will be interesting to see what Blank & co come up with.

Atlanta Republic is the only name out of all of those that seem even the least bit "professional". The rest sound like something a u10 youth soccer team would name themselves.

I have a bit of a bias towards the name Republic though, since I used the name for a NCAA team-builder team. (Guam Republic)

I've traditionally been a southern sports pessimist, but I think with proper investment and well executed community relations, a market like Atlanta could be a massive success. My main concern is playing at the NFL park. If they can come up with a Seattle or Vancouver solution, it can be brilliant, if its a New England type deal, relocate them now.

As for identity and name, I love that they have the red, as it is essentially Atlanta's sporting color. As for the name, I would love for the team to buy the Silverbacks from the NASL owners. Also Silverbacks Park, and place their reserves or minor league team there (as well as maintain the Silverbacks indoor center. Think it is seriously cool the amount of soccer the Silverbacks and the facilities they operate offer the Atlanta community). The Silverbacks identity has become cenonimous with soccer in Atlanta. Good thing is if Blank does decide to go with a name from Atlanta's past, there's no way he'll be using the city's NASL identity, the Chiefs. Unless he wants serious backlash and bad publicity. Maybe Apollos, but they didn't use that name very long. If he wants to keep tradition, I think keeping the Silverbacks name would be an amazing tie to the existing soccer fan base. But then again, perhaps the Silverbacks' ownership keeps the identity and tries to set up shop elsewhere? Just a random thought.

As for other names, maybe find another bird of prey to tie in the Falcons and Hawks franchises? The Thrashers kept that tradition alive, but we all know how that ended. I don't like Alliance, and Republic is used by Sacramento, and their owners want MLS in the future. I unfortunately see the franchise picking up another Euro-style name. I don't mind Atlanta FC, but I fear something like Inter Atlanta, Atlanta Albion, Atlanta United, Atlanta City or some other rediculous name will be used as a way to make the MLS seem more global, when in fact it makes the league look amateur.

Good luck and congrats Atlanta!

How much is an NASL franchise like the Silverbacks worth? Because at this point, Blank would need to buy the current Silverbacks in order to use that name and history.

This could have advantages such as a built in fan base, but is it worth the extra millions to buy the team? Plus there is always the concern that Silverbacks fans may view this more as Blank buying their club, shutting it down, and starting a new club with the same name. Might backfire.I would put my money on a brand new name not used in Atlanta soccer before.

As for the success/failure of this venture, I think at least the ownership group has done their homework. It appears we are not going to have another NE Revolution on our hands with apathetic ownership. I've been to many games here at BC Place which has a similar solution to reducing the number of seats in the stadium as the new Falcons stadium, and it works quite well. But BC Place holds 55 000, not the 70 000 of the new Falcons stadium. I heard the MLS setup will seat 29 000 in Atlanta, which would be difficult for most clubs in MLS to consistently fill at this point in time.

Best of luck to Atlanta MLS though, love to see the league continuing to grow.

ATL has fully supported football and baseball, but have had troubles with their hockey and basketball teams. I hope it goes well, I guess we'll see.

MLS is going to become the biggest soccer league in the world. World class talent should be the teams top priority

ATL has fully supported football and baseball, but have had troubles with their hockey and basketball teams.

I don't know about that. All that winning the Braves did in the early part of their dominance in the 1990s made their fans more apathetic as time wore on. It got to the point where Division and even League Championship Series games were readily available for fans to purchase tickets from at the box office on the day-of game, simply because those fans had expected the Braves to play deep into October.

Then again, the new Braves stadium will be built closer to season-ticket holders, so maybe it's simply a case of "trying to go to Brave games at Turner Field but couldn't because of traffic."

Silverbacks could be an option...while the name/identity belonging to a different ownership group, from this article it sounds like they have met with Blank at least once.

http://www.atlantasilverbacksfc.com/news/detail/uuid/1s81dgdoyphfi1nv8suj3xhxhx/club-issues-statement-about-mls-announcement#.U095cdz3Afk

While I'd prefer they work out a deal for the Silverbacks, my money is on a completely new club name/identity...hopefully nothing too Euro.

Being a Phoenician aside, I do not think "Atlanta Phoenix" would work either...not sure you want the name of another city (directly/indirectly) associated with part of your identity/marketing/branding.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Further to nas' point....

I think buying the Silverback might be smart. it sets up Atlanta MLS with facilities to have an academy instantly plus a home stadium for their reserve side (probably a little big for a D3 side but whatever.) I don't know, seems like a perfect fit to me.

I don't think (I stand to be corrected of course) that the supporters would be upset about that either, I think it will be more like the Vancouver/Seattle/Montreal/Portland thing where it is seen as a promotion.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I like Silverbacks for continuity and I agree that there should be no Eurotrash names. Blackbirds is interesting because it ties into the Falcons, with red and black especially. Red, black and gold were the original Falcon colors. Apollo is a non-starter. For one it is outdated. Secondly, the team never did draw many fans and wound up playing home games in the Omni.

I'm not crazy about Phoenix, but that seems to be the favorite.

As so far as current Atlanta soccer fans go, the Ultras can go :censored: themselves.

No way the Silverbacks compete head-to-head with the MLS team come 2017 though so they should look to join up with Blank. I mean, come on, they drew between 4,000 and 5,000 a game last year. You're meaning to tell me less than 60% of those fans wouldn't jump ship right away? An NASL team drawing 2,000 a game won't survive in three years.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived