bleuet

Atlanta in MLS

Buying the Silverbacks wouldn't be a bad idea. Use the name (again, I like continuity); turn Silverbacks Park into a training complex (and possibly still rent it out for adult leagues and such).

Buying the Silverbacks wouldn't be a bad idea. Use the name (again, I like continuity); turn Silverbacks Park into a training complex (and possibly still rent it out for adult leagues and such).

I like Silverbacks for continuity andi I agree that there should be no Eurotrash names.

The only way the Silverbacks won't sell their name is if they'd rather relocate with the identity. Which, in my opinion, doesn't make too much financial sense. I'm assuming this MLS team would give them a fair amount of money to use the identity, and I am not sure using the name "silverbacks" anywhere else would really increase marketing success in any place they relocate.

Sell the name and identity, relocate somewhere else and start fresh.

They have already declared the team colors will be red and gold. I doubt Silverbacks becomes the moniker.

A lot of people are actually recommending sticking to Atlanta's bird theme and naming them the Phoenix. I can't think of a team name for an Atlanta franchise that makes more sense than Phoenix.

They have already declared the team colors will be red and gold. I doubt Silverbacks becomes the moniker.

A lot of people are actually recommending sticking to Atlanta's bird theme and naming them the Phoenix. I can't think of a team name for an Atlanta franchise that makes more sense than Phoenix.

Except that "Phoenix" the name of a rather large US city.

I think, really, there's only one winner here. A name with soccer history in the area, that really taps into what MLS is trying to do right now vis-a-vis team naming strategy. A timeless name, simple yet memorable.

Ladies and gentlemen...

Atlanta_FC.PNG

Atlanta FC?

Not another one? You already got Toronto FC, FC Dallas, soon Los Angeles FC, NYCFC etc...

Anyway, your posts are all interesting.

I like the idea of keeping a bird name. Blackbirds could work and there is even a species in Atlanta called the Red-winged Blackbird that is black with red and yellow wings.

blackbird.jpg

I guess it makes sense for Blank to want to keep a bird theme across his clubs, but Phoenix won't work as a team name for a major American sport. Atlanta Firebirds?

I like the Blackbirds idea. It ties in the bird theme and I think it leads to a classy looking crest if done right. Along the lines of Tottenham, Weat Brom and Norwich

They should just use the Georgia state bird. That way they could be the Atlanta Thrash... um, nevermind.

I like the idea of keeping a bird name. Blackbirds could work and there is even a species in Atlanta called the Red-winged Blackbird that is black with red and yellow wings.

blackbird.jpg

That. Is a great find.

Agreed...great find

I want to see the Atlanta Flames, which would make an interesting match up with the Chicago Fire... and if only the Dallas Burn were still around...

Except that "Phoenix" the name of a rather large US city.

And there's also a women's football team using the name right now...still, the MLS team could get a good price on buying it.

Hell, the Thrashers name worked it's just the team didn't. Would be fun if they did what the Colorado Rockies did and adopt the moniker of the city's defunct NHL team. I know it won't happen. But hey...