2014 NFL Season Thread

Whoever wears the white jersey wins the Super Bowl. Sorry Seattle.

I guess the Packers didn't win in 2010.
Actually the Steelers beat themselves that game. The Packers scored off all the turnovers. If Pittsburgh doesn't turn it over, the game probably wouldn't have been close.

But I gotta say I hate the Pats and was rooting for the Seahawks...until the fight. Sore losers just like FSU. Congrats Tommy boy. Now retire so I can see Jimmy Football become an all-time great.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't moved on my Tom Brady opinion BTW. He threw two interceptions and needed the dumbest single play call and his defense to bail him out to win his first title in ten years. F*** the patriots.

Yeah, I wasn't either. Everything he threw seemed to be within five yards of the line of scrimmage. I'd give the MVP to the kid who made the INT. Or Edelman, to be honest.

But...but..he's an NFL quarterback. You have to give him the MVP by default...

I agree with this. Brady made some good plays and some bad plays. Overall, he played good to allright game, but definitely not an MVP game. That red mini-van had Marshawn Lynch's name on it, but unlike the NHL, they don't award the MVP to a player on the losing team. They could have gave it to one of their stronger offensive fowards, or hell just give to Butler. He's the reason why Brady has his 4th ring.

It's weird how one play made the difference between how we're discussing Brady and the Patriots.

This is why I play the role of the wet blanket and stress how these all-time discussions are enormously stupid and subjective.

Without a bubble gum helmet and Mario Manningham, for one g-ddamn time in his entire life, showing incredible footwork, Brady is 6-0 in Super Bowls.

Without Adam Vinatieri being the most clutch kicker in history, and Darrell Bevell making the worst play call of his life at the worst possible time, Brady might be 0-6.

...maybe it's not all him, in either direction. Give him his due credit for being a mainstay of consistency for 15 years. That's a pretty damn good compliment.

spacer.png

I wasn't moved on my Tom Brady opinion BTW. He threw two interceptions and needed the dumbest single play call and his defense to bail him out to win his first title in ten years. F*** the patriots.

Yeah, I wasn't either. Everything he threw seemed to be within five yards of the line of scrimmage. I'd give the MVP to the kid who made the INT. Or Edelman, to be honest.

But...but..he's an NFL quarterback. You have to give him the MVP by default...

I agree with this. Brady made some good plays and some bad plays. Overall, he played good to allright game, but definitely not an MVP game. That red van had Marshawn Lynch's name on it, but unlike the NHL, they don't award the MVP to a player on the losing team. They could have gave it to one of their stronger offensive fowards, or hell just give to Butler. He's the reason why Brady has his 4th ring.

The NHL only awards the MVP to someone on the losing team once in a blue moon. You make it sound like it's a fairly regular occurance.

He also had four TD passes. And led the team back from a 10 point deficit in the 4th quarter against a defense that doesn't give up points in the 4th quarter.

Not the worst performance.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, but he did pull off a pretty impressive drive to put his team in the lead.

Yep. Brady solidified his legacy as the greatest of his era.

Agreed. Whether we like it or not, the Brady - Belichick era Patriots are one of the greatest teams of all time. In my opinion, Belichick is the greatest head coach ever. As for Tom Brady, well, I'll never be convinced any QB is as good as Joe Montana but I'm fine with putting Brady in the #2 all-time slot.

That's the thing, though. Brady has benefited greatly quite a bit from playing under Belichick, so who honestly knows? Brady's obviously a great QB with great success... but is he even in the conversation if he gets drafted by some other franchise and never hooks up with Belichick? I don't see it.

That's counter-factual. Maybe Phillip Rivers the undisputed GOAT if Eli doesn't demand to be traded from the Chargers. It's all a lot of guesswork and nothing really substantial.

Brady has the rings and the statistics to solidify his status as the best of his era. His only competition is a guy who got steamrolled by the same defence Brady went toe to toe with. You don't have to like him but Brady ended up on top.

You're fighting a losing battle, Mike. Back when the opinions around here were a little more nuanced, we might have been able to discuss this. These days? Brady is either the GOAT or he's a hack who did nothing but benefit from coaching and a system. There is no in between.

BB52Big.jpg

Does Joe Montana win rings without Bill Walsh (I know he won one with Seifert but same offense)?

You can only play for who you play for. To criticize Brady for only playing for Belichek is stupid. Until there's a QB that's won the championship for different coaches indifferent systems on different teams, it's a silly argument.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's weird how one play made the difference between how we're discussing Brady and the Patriots.

This is why I play the role of the wet blanket and stress how these all-time discussions are enormously stupid and subjective.

As I was saying, Mike. Around here, these discussions can't just be subjective. Nope. They have to be "enormously stupid" too.

BB52Big.jpg

Yeah, but he did pull off a pretty impressive drive to put his team in the lead.

Agreed. Whether we like it or not, the Brady - Belichick era Patriots are one of the greatest teams of all time. In my opinion, Belichick is the greatest head coach ever. As for Tom Brady, well, I'll never be convinced any QB is as good as Joe Montana but I'm fine with putting Brady in the #2 all-time slot.

That's the thing, though. Brady has benefited greatly quite a bit from playing under Belichick, so who honestly knows? Brady's obviously a great QB with great success... but is he even in the conversation if he gets drafted by some other franchise and never hooks up with Belichick? I don't see it.

That's counter-factual. Maybe Phillip Rivers the undisputed GOAT if Eli doesn't demand to be traded from the Chargers. It's all a lot of guesswork and nothing really substantial.

Brady has the rings and the statistics to solidify his status as the best of his era. His only competition is a guy who got steamrolled by the same defence Brady went toe to toe with. You don't have to like him but Brady ended up on top.

You're fighting a losing battle, Mike. Back when the opinions around here were a little more nuanced, we might have been able to discuss this. These days?Brady is either the GOAT or he's a hack who did nothing but benefit from coaching and a system. There is no in between.

Given that my cable went out just before the halftime show and didn't come back until around 7 minutes left in the fourth quarter? I'm just happy to got to see all the best parts!

With that in mind I'll head the advice and step aside.

Well that's fine with me, but I'll play the devil's advocate and point out Montanta did not get to six Super Bowls.

No, but Montana won his Super Bowls back when defense was still legal in the NFL.

I have to go with infrared on this one. The NFC during the Joe Montana era was a lot tougher to navigate than the AFC during the Tom Brady era. Tom is at least #2 in my book.

You're fighting a losing battle, Mike. Back when the opinions around here were a little more nuanced, we might have been able to discuss this. These days?Brady is either the GOAT or he's a hack who did nothing but benefit from coaching and a system. There is no in between.

Yes, because that's exactly what I meant when I said he's "obviously a great QB". But when the popular opinion is that Belichick cemented his legacy as the best to ever coach the game... it's completely fair to wonder what Brady's resume would look like with another coach.

Trust me, I think these conversations are as stupid as anybody even though I always find myself in the middle of them.

IUe6Hvh.png

It's all relative though. There was no cap in the Montana era, so it was easier to keep teams together and maintain stability. Teams are much closer in talent now, and good teams seem to lose good players every year. The NFC was clearly the tougher league back in the day (by far), but the top teams were arguably more stacked and built to maintain success without having to worry about restructuring contracts and all the other nonsense that the CBA has brought us.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NHL only awards the MVP to someone on the losing team once in a blue moon. You make it sound like it's a fairly regular occurance.

Well I wasn't intending to make it come off that way. And admittidly, I didn't do research, but I don't think it ever happened in a Super Bowl.

Please dont compare Tom Brady to Joe Montana its like comparing Nickleback to the :censored:ing Beatles

When the 49ers won Super Bowl XIX

They played LT's Giants in the Divisional Round

The 1985 Bears in the Championship Ganme

Then they beat the the 14-2 Dan Marino best season ever for a QB in the Super Bowl

The Pats would lose to each of those teams by 40

Pete Carroll what the hell man first and goal two time outs beats mode RUN THE BALL YOU IDIOT.

This season sucked Roger Goodell got his wish the empty suit man...... Never mind To call Goodell an empty suit is unfair to a seersucker on sale at the goodwill.

Goodell is such a stain on the game and ruined the season from Ray Rice to his buddy buddy trophy presentation to Robert Kraft. I am now convinced if the NFL does not get rid of this :censored: for brains comish soon, the league is heading for a crash.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yes, because that's exactly what I meant when I said he's "obviously a great QB". But when the popular opinion is that Belichick cemented his as the best to ever coach the game... it's completely fair to wonder what Brady's resume would look like with another coach.

Relax, I wasn't referring to you or your post. My point was that 90% of the posts around here seem to go to the extreme (see my reply to Kramerica calling us enormously stupid for even having this discussion.)

BB52Big.jpg

Well I wasn't intending to make it come off that way. And admittidly, I didn't do research, but I don't think it ever happened in a Super Bowl.

Chuck Howley Super Bowl V

Brodeur was :censored:ing robbed in 2003.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Story line for Super Bowl 50:

Patriots beats Aaron Rodgers & the Packers at Levi's Stadium. Battle of Northern California QB's who both grew up 49ers fans and idolized Joe Montana. Tom Brady wins his fifth ring and 4th MVP just a few miles from where he grew up (San Mateo) to pass Joe as arguably the greatest of all time and then retires where it all began.

You're fighting a losing battle, Mike. Back when the opinions around here were a little more nuanced, we might have been able to discuss this. These days? Brady is either the GOAT or he's a hack who did nothing but benefit from coaching and a system. There is no in between.

NO. Tom Brady is very good, but I don't honestly believe he's the best quarterback of this generation.

Put him on the Bengals and he has 0 rings. It's why the rings argument is stupid.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I reaccess what someone said earlier: The Patriots did not win this game. The Seahawks lost the game they should have had.

The Patriots won the last 8 minutes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived