College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

They certainly can be douchey. I'm not denying that. This is an extreme example though. Most of their stuff isn't this obnoxious.

ZHXNWCDBTEKRZZI.20111227062022.jpg

This is what I like -- simple and clean, which let's the uniform speak for itself.

This presentation is a different kind of bad though, and it's not something only Nike does. The lighting is such crap that you can't see the details of the uniform very well. This is more annoying to me than the other stuff, as absurd as it can get.

Yea, I was tempted to call him out on this as well - the lighting distorts everything so badly, it totally masks the actual uniform.

Point taken. I admittedly should have chosen a better example. The drabness of that uniform doesn't help my point. Brighter colors are more visible in the same lighting.

2014-Nike-Mach-Speed-Oregon-Football-Glo

But I was more so speaking to the black back-drop that is present in nearly every uniform reveal from Nike.

BIGpVgFCQAAHSg4.jpg

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the contrast of shadows and highlights this lighting set-up typically provides -- particularly with the way they get the helmets to look. It's not ideal for showing all of the little details of the uniform, (which I know is what most of us want to see) but I like it for its promotional purpose. But to each his own.

Their newer stuff all seems to be more well-lit. Maybe I should have used this as an example.

HO14_NFB_NCAA_Oregon_Details_613_PR_orig

Agreed. I like what Oregon does, but this picture was a part of that presentation for that 2012 Rose Bowl. Just SLIGHTLY over the top.

tumblr_lx4axyIciN1r86ql0o1_1280.jpg

It's Oregon. Everything they do is over the top.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They certainly can be douchey. I'm not denying that. This is an extreme example though. Most of their stuff isn't this obnoxious.

ZHXNWCDBTEKRZZI.20111227062022.jpg

This is what I like -- simple and clean, which let's the uniform speak for itself.

This presentation is a different kind of bad though, and it's not something only Nike does. The lighting is such crap that you can't see the details of the uniform very well. This is more annoying to me than the other stuff, as absurd as it can get.

Yea, I was tempted to call him out on this as well - the lighting distorts everything so badly, it totally masks the actual uniform.

Point taken. I admittedly should have chosen a better example. The drabness of that uniform doesn't help my point. Brighter colors are more visible in the same lighting.

2014-Nike-Mach-Speed-Oregon-Football-Glo

But I was more so speaking to the black back-drop that is present in nearly every uniform reveal from Nike.

BIGpVgFCQAAHSg4.jpg

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the contrast of shadows and highlights this lighting set-up typically provides -- particularly with the way they get the helmets to look. It's not ideal for showing all of the little details of the uniform, (which I know is what most of us want to see) but I like it for its promotional purpose. But to each his own.

Their newer stuff all seems to be more well-lit. Maybe I should have used this as an example.

HO14_NFB_NCAA_Oregon_Details_613_PR_orig

Agreed. I like what Oregon does, but this picture was a part of that presentation for that 2012 Rose Bowl. Just SLIGHTLY over the top.

tumblr_lx4axyIciN1r86ql0o1_1280.jpg

It's Oregon. Everything they do is over the top.

In the first image, I think the lighting is actually intentional.. It helps display the chrome helmet, chrome trim/accents, etc.. We all know (knew) Oregon's colors and basic look, but the chrome detailing was the first of its kind, so that was the focus of the promo.

Preview of A&M via Adidas FB twitter

DG6o5FOR.jpg

Nice...gang signs! Great message, I guess we have low expecations for football players these days.

As for the uniform, I hate it because it's not displaying the team/school colors.

what a bull$**t answer there is a reason they are called alternate jerseys there not supposed to be "home" jeresys so the fact black is the predominate color isn't a reason to complain now if this was a new home jersey i would complain too because a home jerseys should be your primary color

I am an Aggie and I have always been an Aggie, and some of the old Ags have points when it comes to new advances but their consistant complaning of different colored alternate is just dumb look at oregon i don't hear a lot of alumnus complaing about there alternates get your stuff together guys seriously

Different fan bases will have different tastes. If Ohio State wore green and gold rather than the rumored black jersey, no way would the fans back it. Most other schools would get similar reactions. Oregon is that one outlier that gets away with stuff other teams can't.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I am an Aggie and I have always been an Aggie, and some of the old Ags have points when it comes to new advances but their consistant complaning of different colored alternate is just dumb look at oregon i don't hear a lot of alumnus complaing about there alternates get your stuff together guys seriously

You hear from some of the older Oregon alumnus and long-time fans who don't care for all the uniform combinations but I'd say a vast majority of the fanbase don't have a problem with it because the constant uniform change has been a staple of Oregon during their rise to prominence.

WHAT!? HOW DARE A FAN BASE WITH A LONG FOOTBALL HISTORY NOT REACT THE SAME AS A FAN BASE WITH ONLY RELATIVELY RECENT SUCCESS?! Y FAN BASES NO COOKIE CUTTER?!

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Boom! Logic'd!!!

As for these "Legends" jerseys, it isn't shocking, but seems like a transparent attempt to make money off the back of a guy who was an amateur when he was at your school. I hate it.

Looks like NCSU's new uniforms will be a simple transItion to the new primeknit template.

11378570_1616344975306927_307145666_n.jp

Additionally, kinda looks like the 6 is different from the past few uniforms, maybe a slight number font update? The old 6 always looked kinda blocky and bunched.

Do they really need a patch for Russell Wilson?

Do they really need a patch for Russell Wilson?

- Really? No, probably not. And in case you missed we have one for Mario Williams' #9 as well. Neither will see the field, as the man sporting the 16 above is a true frosh QB, and no one is #9 this year, as of now anyways.

Hey, remember when NC State's coaching staff ran off Russell Wilson for Mike Glennon? Good times, man. I'll never forget it.

- Not exactly how I'd phrase that, but it's a solid misconception.

As for these "Legends" jerseys, it isn't shocking, but seems like a transparent attempt to make money off the back of a guy who was an amateur when he was at your school. I hate it.

- Seriously?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL_VV2hUkAAKp4q.jpg:large

Definitely a change to at least the 1, 4, 6 ,7, and 9 - can't make out any other changes.

A sigh of relief, I thought adidas was going to UCLA us.

possible new or unused maryland helmet?

11817259_822941494468123_463246294013221

If it wasn't matte, I'd be all for it

Fan made. These are all from @JVince11 as he makes his own helmets. Many are based off those worn, some are concepts, and a few are tweaks of the game worn designs. He seems to always take photos of his newest helmets either on his back porch table or in his kitchen.

Edit: Found the original tweet and the full photo

B0WYlmEIMAAv1eK.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I think matte helmets are so overused that the "proper" use has sort of been lost.. Matte helmets are great for allowing metallic, chrome, or brightly colored decals to (forgive me for using this term) "pop" on the helmet, where a glossy finish would reflect light similarly to the decal and the decal would lose some of its "effect".. I don't think matte decals is a terrible idea, but I think matte on matte is overkill, when regular gloss on regular gloss pretty much accomplishes the same goal.

I think matte helmets are so overused that the "proper" use has sort of been lost.. Matte helmets are great for allowing metallic, chrome, or brightly colored decals to (forgive me for using this term) "pop" on the helmet, where a glossy finish would reflect light similarly to the decal and the decal would lose some of its "effect".. I don't think matte decals is a terrible idea, but I think matte on matte is overkill, when regular gloss on regular gloss pretty much accomplishes the same goal.

I understand what you're saying, but I have to disagree. The use of normal decals on a matte finish looks awful to me. Especially on the oddly shaped decals, like this MTSU helmet. The negative space, so to speak, really ruins the look. It looks tacky and quickly done.

5411321020693266_55ec954b9aecd06814552ea

A nicer example is this Iowa State lid. The negative space isn't nearly as bad, but it still drives me nuts.

iowa-state-matte-helmet.jpg?itok=Ji5hyQw

I know I'm talking about the excess piece of the decal, and not the decal itself, but this is why I'm not a huge fan of matte helmets in the first place. Of course many teams have done it well, and these are just the extreme examples, but they still do the job.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

A few years back, Nebraska's alternate was a white matte helmet, which wasn't so bad since they could die cut the decals right around the N perfectly. But at the end of the day, "glossy" white helmets aren't really all that glossy (compared to dark colors like black), so why even bother with a matte lid at all?

There are a few applications where matte makes sense (maybe a camo helmet for Army?) but it's really a big case of Matte For Matte Sake and everyone copying each other.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived