NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Does Madison Square Garden count with its location being right on top of a major transit hub with connections to Amtrak, LIRR, and NJ Transit? Granted, it's by absolutely no means easy to get to by car, nor does any other location in Manhattan

"Oh I don't want to have to take a train. And then you have to change trains and it's just a pain."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An 18 mile drive that will take you about an hour (if you're lucky to have zero accidents on the way). The situation is really quite unfortunate for the players and the few loyal fans they do have left, but it's horrible business. And really, PHX is pretty different from a lot of the cities you're used to seeing teams in. Not making excuses for the Coyotes, simply attempting to use logic to explain the situation in this market — which apparently has no use in this thread.

Carry on.

Well, I think we can agree on a core argument, which is that putting the arena in Glendale was a Really Bad Idea.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, I'd say that MSG, and the Barclays in Brooklyn, are very easy to get to. At major transit hubs, and everybody here takes the subway (or the LIRR, for Islanders fans next year). Those are certainly easier for everyone to get to than any of our other sports venues.

4) If there are not enough people willing to drive 15-30 miles to see hockey on a weeknight to even half-fill your arena for your division-champion, conference-final-reaching team, your franchise is a lost damn cause

We already knew that, but just to make it official...

The Jobber is on the exact opposite end of the Valley from what most people consider to be Phoenix's "hockey watching" audience.

And coming from a SoCal freeway lifer, yes, Phoenix traffic as a whole is not that bad. It's only truly bad in one spot (the 10 between the 17 and 202 as it passes through downtown Phoenix). The problem is the majority of that Phoenix "hockey audience" has to drive through that corridor. So if someone worked downtown and had to go back to pickup their family in Chandler or Mesa then go all the way back across the valley to Glendale, yeah, it would suck to get there.

I didn't have a problem because when I was in Tempe, I only went up for about three or four games and on the weekends (couldn't go with school, unless it was a Ducks game.) When I lived in Peoria/Glendale, I went all the damn time because it took me 10 minutes to get to the Jobber.

But yeah, even with some of the problems outlined, the attendance should NEVER be below 12,000 if the people really cared, weekday game against Columbus or not. Especially with the record of the Yotes over the last few years and even moreso with last year. Had they actually made the arena in Scottsdale, it probably would have helped a lot, but still not enough to remedy the issue, I'm afraid.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There might have been more hockey-watchers around the arena if the housing bubble hadn't burst, but here we are. The Canadian dollar was 65 cents American once. Big things happen.

An 18 mile drive that will take you about an hour (if you're lucky to have zero accidents on the way). The situation is really quite unfortunate for the players and the few loyal fans they do have left, but it's horrible business. And really, PHX is pretty different from a lot of the cities you're used to seeing teams in. Not making excuses for the Coyotes, simply attempting to use logic to explain the situation in this market — which apparently has no use in this thread.

Carry on.

If you have this many structural flaws in the market and logistics, then Phoenix was a bridge too far for the NHL. Or maybe somebody in the Coyotes organization should have done a demographic study and said something during the 1990s.

Yeah, I'd say that MSG, and the Barclays in Brooklyn, are very easy to get to. At major transit hubs, and everybody here takes the subway (or the LIRR, for Islanders fans next year). Those are certainly easier for everyone to get to than any of our other sports venues.

While being vaguely unfamiliar with the parking situation at the outer DC metro stations, I'd say the Verizon Center in DC also qualifies then. The arena's right on top of a station that handles Red, Yellow, and Green lines, and a couple hundred yards from a station that handles the Orange, Blue, and Silver lines (and Red). For those who don't know, that's all of them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Quebec City also offers a national francophone television contract like what the Canadiens have, revenues from a team-owned network (or a network-owned team), they'll be the anchor tenant in a new arena, and they'll be an eighth Canadian team just in time for the Canadian networks to re-up their TV deals.

They speak French, though! Fun fact: the penalty for "roughing" translates to Quebec French as "rudesse." You are sent to the box for rudeness. I love it. Hockey just sounds so right in French, I don't know what it is.

Watch this video for evidence, and for what I promise is all-time epic trolling at 2:00

I don't like Quebec French. The anti-French sentiment (people were jailed for speaking French in Quebec) following the British conquest of French North America really destroyed the beautiful sound of the language (as francophones altered the pronunciation of many words to sound more English), found in France.

Also, did I hear Clint Malarchuk's name? That guy is only famous for getting his throat cut the :censored: open and nearly dying during a Sabres game.

spacer.png

Quebec City also offers a national francophone television contract like what the Canadiens have, revenues from a team-owned network (or a network-owned team), they'll be the anchor tenant in a new arena, and they'll be an eighth Canadian team just in time for the Canadian networks to re-up their TV deals.

They speak French, though! Fun fact: the penalty for "roughing" translates to Quebec French as "rudesse." You are sent to the box for rudeness. I love it. Hockey just sounds so right in French, I don't know what it is.

Watch this video for evidence, and for what I promise is all-time epic trolling at 2:00

I don't like Quebec French. The anti-French sentiment (people were jailed for speaking French in Quebec) following the British conquest of French North America really destroyed the beautiful sound of the language (as francophones altered the pronunciation of many words to sound more English), found in France.

Attempts at Anglicanization were short term and very limited after the Conquest, so I doubt that's what changed the language. Rather it probably changed because that's what happens with language in settler-established colonial societies. American and Canadian English are slighty different from each other, and both are distinguishable from the English spoken in the UK, after all.

• Like 1

Trying to decide which part of the latest update is funniest.

Here's some candidates:

Jamison said, “We’re aware of what we have to do to get this closed. We’re working very hard to get there. So far, the anticipation is that we will get there. That’s kind of where we’re at, at the moment, and I probably wouldn’t take it much further than that.”

"It's been 18 months and I still don't have the money. Another 72, 73 tops though, and I should be pretty much set."

Holdover Councilman Manny Martinez, who voted in favor of the current deal, said he would have to reconsider his support if Jamison blows the deadline and asks for an extension or a second deal.

“I would have to think about it, but probably yes, depending on what Mr. Jamison tells us at the time, depending on the circumstances,” he said.

Well, he told you nothing last time, so what would queer the deal for you? A nude reading of Mein Kampf performed on bath salts?

Even his patience has limits, though, Martinez said.

“At some time, we have to say, ‘Well, this is it,’” he said.

History suggests otherwise, good sir.

Cave Creek medical-records consultant and well-connected hockey fan Bea Wyatt...

Gosh, I wonder why she has no problem with Glendale giving away $300 million in taxpayer money it doesn't have?

...said she assumes the long negotiations simply are the result of the NHL’s due-diligence process.

"BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!" --John Spano and Boots del Biaggio, from prison

“There is some concern among a lot of people. There’s some tweeting in the Twitterverse about people being concerned about the date,” said Wyatt

"I'm pretty well-connected. I'm aware of all the Tweetings. Sometimes I Pinterest them and make a Facebook post about them. You should like my page on Grindr."

“I feel confident that things will get done. I’m like 99.9 percent,” she said. “People do call me a Pollyanna.”

"Don't drag me into this, you loopy desert whore." --Pollyanna

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ah, they'll cave and offer an extension. After lots of assurances and promises from Bettman, of course...

Don't think so. The new mayor told Jamison directly when they spoke the other day that they're not going to offer an extension. He either finishes it by 23:59:59 (MST) on Thursday... or it's over under these current terms. And the next ones, if there are any, won't be nearly as generous. Which will kill Jamison's bid since he can't even get this done with these ridiculously generous terms.

Once we get confirmation that this stupid dumpster fire is over, drinks are on me.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Don't think so. The new mayor told Jamison directly when they spoke the other day that they're not going to offer an extension. He either finishes it by 23:59:59 (MST) on Thursday... or it's over under these current terms. And the next ones, if there are any, won't be nearly as generous. Which will kill Jamison's bid since he can't even get this done with these ridiculously generous terms.

The rumor from a couple weeks back that the league will "loan" the money to Jamison to buy the team if he can't pull it together on his own keeps rolling around in my head, and I can't shake it.

Once we get confirmation that this stupid dumpster fire is over, drinks are on me.

Cheapskate.

Bea Wyatt, I believe, is the girlfriend/wife of noted creeperoo George Fallar, who was behind the Coyotes PAC and, if some conspiracy-theorizing HFboarders are to be believed, has started running Joyce Clark's infamous twitter account.

I know too much.