MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The different camos represent different branches of the military and when the new "blueberries" were unveiled they did say the brown ones would still be around for certain occasions that honor that specific military branch. They also said the blue and brown would be alternated each season as far as which is the "primary alternate" (for lack of a better term). So, this season they're wearing the blues every Sunday home game but occasionally use the browns for suitable events... which means next season they'll wear the browns every Sunday home game but will occasionally use the blues whenever a specific event calls for it. If I'm not mistaken (off the top of my head only) the blues are Navy and the browns are Marines. Also, you've likely noticed the brown one is an updated version as it has the new wordmark which was not on the jersey last season.

You are correct.  The browns are the Marine Corps pattern.  This is the same pattern I wore when I was serving.  

The story behind the game yesterday is kind of funny though.  The Padres Twitter account stated these were being worn to honor the Army and Army National Guard.  That is all well and good, but they didn't use the Army pattern.

Pads_Convo.PNG

15 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Any word why MLB chose eight teams to wear throwbacks Wednesday? It was just mentioned on the Cubs TV broadcast. 

Not sure.  As someone mentioned earlier, the Mets might be in gray 1986 jerseys, which just features script Mets.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

21 hours ago, jayjackson3 said:

You are correct.  The browns are the Marine Corps pattern.  This is the same pattern I wore when I was serving.  

The story behind the game yesterday is kind of funny though.  The Padres Twitter account stated these were being worn to honor the Army and Army National Guard.  That is all well and good, but they didn't use the Army pattern.

Pads_Convo.PNG

Strange but the Padres probably just said "we wanna honor the Army but we've only got the Marine and Navy patterns... what do we do? Well, since we've worn the Navy ones all year if we say we're honoring the Army might as well wear the different pattern even if its not Army because it'll stand out as being different than the Navy ones"

It's kinda ignorant but it's probably the truth of how the decision was made.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Strange but the Padres probably just said "we wanna honor the Army but we've only got the Marine and Navy patterns... what do we do? Well, since we've worn the Navy ones all year if we say we're honoring the Army might as well wear the different pattern even if its not Army because it'll stand out as being different than the Navy ones"

It's kinda ignorant but it's probably the truth of how the decision was made.

Could be much, much worse.  If they'd said they were going to honor the Army by wearing he Navy print, both branches would riot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's a hideous patch.  He deserves so much better. 

It looks pretty cool at first, then you realize how messy it is.  That graphic in patch form would be a disaster.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Reds are wearing the 99-06 uniforms tonight for Ken Griffey Jr. 

I'll watch tonight to see them one more time, but I really don't miss these uniforms. Also, weird that I'm at an age where a uniform I remember so well and watched so often is now old enough to be worn as a throwback. 

Cn0DSIiXYAA3paJ.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

39 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Reds are wearing the 99-06 uniforms tonight for Ken Griffey Jr. 

I'll watch tonight to see them one more time, but I really don't miss these uniforms. Also, weird that I'm at an age where a uniform I remember so well and watched so often is now old enough to be worn as a throwback. 

Cn0DSIiXYAA3paJ.jpg

Those vests are gonna look terrible. Not the design, but the cut of the sleeves. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, dsaline97 said:

Those vests are gonna look terrible. Not the design, but the cut of the sleeves. 

No argument here, but the cut of the sleeves will be accurate to how they were worn back then. 

brandon-phillips-of-the-cincinnati-reds-

(rare photo of Brandon Phillips in those uniforms. The 06 season was his first with the Reds, and then they changed to their current uniforms in 07, which HOLY :censored: means the current uniforms are in their tenth season and have been around longer than the uniforms that preceded them. That's hard to believe.) 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, dsaline97 said:

Those look to me like actual vests and not just sleeveless jerseys, I thought people wanted that. 

Archived