Nike NFL "Color Rush" uniforms?

dcameronh

I was thinking that this would be the one place we might see stripes on the undershirts - doesn't look like they're selling the jerseys so there isn't the retail disincentive.

The Packers did have an all-gold uniform from the same time period - I'll work up a mockup of that on Monday.

Wait, what!?

If they're not even selling the jerseys then what in the holy balls is the point of this whole exercise?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets should have used this opportunity to experiment with the NY logo on the helmet. Maybe use s metallic decal to match the stripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Jets should have used this opportunity to experiment with the NY logo on the helmet. Maybe use s metallic decal to match the stripes.

They did use a metallic decal.

TNF_Release_CallOuts_Article.jpg

temp20151026-IMG_5605--nfl_mezz_1280_102

But it would have been fun to see them replace the regular logo with the alternate, just to see how it looks on the field.

6529373231_174659f28d_o.jpg

They're already going away from their classic look for this one game, might as well keep going.

Exactly. That NY logo looks so much better on a helmet than the regular one. I love the metallic decals too, but they clash too much with the flat jersey material to be used full time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As overly busy as the Jets' current logo is, that NY oval looks awful on a helmet. Something so bland could only exist as a secondary logo, and secondaries shouldn't be on helmets. At least the Giants' logo is stylized. This looks like a cheap imitation that they'd use in advertising to hint that the player was on the Jets without using actual team branding. This is a logo you'd have seen Curtis Martin wearing in an ad for Hungry Man dinners.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As overly busy as the Jets' current logo is, that NY oval looks awful on a helmet. Something so bland could only exist as a secondary logo, and secondaries shouldn't be on helmets. At least the Giants' logo is stylized. This looks like a cheap imitation that they'd use in advertising to hint that the player was on the Jets without using actual team branding. This is a logo you'd have seen Curtis Martin wearing in an ad for Hungry Man dinners.

You know something? You're right. It needs MOTION LINES!

Exactly. That NY logo looks so much better on a helmet than the regular one. I love the metallic decals too, but they clash too much with the flat jersey material to be used full time.

I don't care for the basic NY logo for the same reason I'm not crazy about the Giants' logo - neither has a thing to do with the team name.

I don't care for the basic NY logo for the same reason I'm not crazy about the Giants' logo - neither has a thing to do with the team name.

Teams that play in LA and New York should be able to emphasize the city over the team name. You're a team from New York. That's your identity. Not some stylized jet.

The oval NY is awesome and needs to be adopted by the team immediately.

^ I don't think all team logos have to play to the team name. Those logos are all stylized in some way. The Jets NY logo is just awkwardly placing a bold sanserif NY inside an oval. This is overused, and people get pissed on here when it's said, but that logo looks like something a novice made in Microsoft Word.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Teams that play in LA and New York should be able to emphasize the city over the team name. You're a team from New York. That's your identity. Not some stylized jet.

The oval NY is awesome and needs to be adopted by the team immediately.

That's exactly how I've always felt. Mascots work fine for small cities where they have to appeal to kids to draw, or where the city itself isn't very well known or marketable, but for big-time cities, you're right - that's your identity. Having a mascot or other logo is fine for shirts or for kid-themed things, but other than that, keep it serious and base your identity around the city, not the mascot.

But does the current primary have any more to do with the name? Between those two logos, they are equal in that regard, but the basic logo is less of a mess.

And regardless of whether it's NYC or Green Bay, I don't know that primary logos need to display the team name. Most MLB caps represent a letter for the City. The "spoked B" as well (OK, that could be "Bruins" but I have always interpreted it as "Boston")

In any case, I think a City-based logo works. I am glad that not every team does it, but it's fine with me that a few do.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

We can all agree there's a smidge of middle ground between a gaudy (and hypothetical) kid-themed smiling cartoon Jet and this very real logo:

New_york_jets_alternate_logo.gif

The italic font is a fantastic and subtle detail, but I don't think it goes quite far enough to work in the "Jets" identity... some very subtle tweaks like, say, a hybrid of the logo above with the 80's/90's wordmark or some simple Jet-like elements would go a long way... the Jets' identity can be pushed beyond "New York's green football team" without being cartoonish or juvenile.

On this site of all places, I'd expect the bar to be higher than "the green team from NY."

Don't confuse your personal preferences with an objective "high bar."

The Jets aren't an old old team like the Packers or Bears, but they still come from an era that didn't put as much emphasis on including mascots in logos. The oval NY is the perfect modernization of the Nameth-era logo, in my opinion. Which works for the Jets.

The Jets NY logo is just awkwardly placing a bold sanserif NY inside an oval.

The key to making it work is keeping the bold-italic Jets script prominent in the identity so that it's clear that the NY is tied in with the wordmark. So if you were to have the current primary as a patch on the front as you do now, the NY and the Jets would support each other rather than be repetitive (unlike the Steelers' patch on the blank-helmet side of the uniform, there's no practical reason for the Jets to have that patch).

I think that's the best way to go about things. I don't want any return to the green and black or the jet script or anything from the (shudder, deep sigh, deep inhale) "New York Sack Exchange" era.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On this site of all places, I'd expect the bar to be higher than "the green team from NY."

Don't confuse your personal preferences with an objective "high bar."

The Jets aren't an old old team like the Packers or Bears, but they still come from an era that didn't put as much emphasis on including mascots in logos. The oval NY is the perfect modernization of the Nameth-era logo, in my opinion. Which works for the Jets.

If a high bar is objective, where I set it is a personal preference. Again, you're ignoring a tremendous amount middle ground between "mascots in logos" and a design that maintains elements of the classic wordmark while re-assimilating the franchise's namesake in a contemporary way.

Take this thrown-together edit for what its worth ;)

291m7mv.jpg

A far cry from "mascot" or "kid-themed" - NY dominant with a subtle accent that elevates the team name beyond a clumsily-branded afterthought for the green team to wear on their sideline gear. The Bills wisely kept their 80's logo through numerous relaunches because it cohesively brands both the city and franchise names. The Jets could do the same by simply implementing minor details from prior elements from existing logos.

We can all agree there's a smidge of middle ground between a gaudy (and hypothetical) kid-themed smiling cartoon Jet and this very real logo:

New_york_jets_alternate_logo.gif

The italic font is a fantastic and subtle detail, but I don't think it goes quite far enough to work in the "Jets" identity... some very subtle tweaks like, say, a hybrid of the logo above with the 80's/90's wordmark or some simple Jet-like elements would go a long way... the Jets' identity can be pushed beyond "New York's green football team" without being cartoonish or juvenile.

That logo is just terribly boring..

Anyways, in this photo posted on Jets twitter account the logo doesn't look metallic.

CTZ7VI1WcAI3X_s.jpg

Archived