Bad Uniforms/Logos made classic by Good Teams

chcarlson23

I was thinking about this after I saw the good logos ruined by a bad team thread. There are just some uniforms/logos that are awful, but are hailed as classic, or even great, because of the legacy of the team.

Here are a few

Montreal Canadiens

1111numbersgame.jpg

While they're not bad, they're nothing like the actually classic red sweater.

Dallas Cowboys

cowboys-uniform.jpeg

Everyone here agrees that these are bad, but they're still classic. The logo is the same way.

s-l1000.jpg

Its not that good of a logo. It's only a double outlined star, I could have made this in Kindergarten, but yet it represents decades of Football glory...

What are some other ones you've noticed?

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that either of these are "bad" but certainly, some logos / uniforms are overrated by storied franchises.

For me:

• I agree on the Canadiens. I don't like their logo and I don't like the stripe running through the red uniform. It's not that they are awful; just a bit overrated, IMO. I actually don't agree on Dallas. Maybe they get a pass on the mismatched blues, but overall, I think they've earned their "classic" description.
  • Packers. I love the yellow shell. And the uniforms are good overall. But the logo, a "G" for "Greenbay."
  • Browns. OK, they have not been a good team for some time. And I don't think their (lack of) logo and plain helmet are bad. But these are considered classic because the Browns have been around forever. A look like theirs would never have flown if introduced after 1970. So not "bad" or really "good team" but still kinda fits.
  • A lot of college teams; particularly in football (since basketball uniforms change so much). Alabama's numbers on the helmets; Penn State's boring uniforms; even Michigan's winged helmet.* Maybe even UCLA, which has a helmet and jersey that do not belong together. Oregon too; they've been so good during their Nike takeover but I don't think that, say, Purdue could have gotten away with being that brash and going 4-8 every year.

*OK, I am probably wrong on Michigan...I just hate the winged helmet but I know most people love it. But would they if Michigan was just a middling program for the last several decades?

However, I do think a lot of praise is well-deserved. The Yankees, of course, get the Canadiens "classic" treatment, but I legitimately think what they have is beautiful. Same with the Yankees and the Celtics.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't know that either of these are "bad" but certainly, some logos / uniforms are overrated by storied franchises.

For me:

• I agree on the Canadiens. I don't like their logo and I don't like the stripe running through the red uniform. It's not that they are awful; just a bit overrated, IMO. I actually don't agree on Dallas. Maybe they get a pass on the mismatched blues, but overall, I think they've earned their "classic" description.
  • Packers. I love the yellow shell. And the uniforms are good overall. But the logo, a "G" for "Greenbay."
  • Browns. OK, they have not been a good team for some time. And I don't think their (lack of) logo and plain helmet are bad. But these are considered classic because the Browns have been around forever. A look like theirs would never have flown if introduced after 1970. So not "bad" or really "good team" but still kinda fits.
  • A lot of college teams; particularly in football (since basketball uniforms change so much). Alabama's numbers on the helmets; Penn State's boring uniforms; even Michigan's winged helmet.* Maybe even UCLA, which has a helmet and jersey that do not belong together. Oregon too; they've been so good during their Nike takeover but I don't think that, say, Purdue could have gotten away with being that brash and going 4-8 every year.

*OK, I am probably wrong on Michigan...I just hate the winged helmet but I know most people love it. But would they if Michigan was just a middling program for the last several decades?

However, I do think a lot of praise is well-deserved. The Yankees, of course, get the Canadiens "classic" treatment, but I legitimately think what they have is beautiful. Same with the Yankees and the Celtics.

Yes, all of these are classic, but just looking at the uniforms and logos in a vacuum, these are not the best. I actually like the Habs red sweater, but the white one isn't as good, and the Cowboys logo is just a basic star, its not like the Whalers, or the Yankees.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

If I may go homer on this one:

ec4d094328054d7df62719d8cef2203b.jpg

Though I do think these featured the best color scheme the Jazz ever had, I can accept that the 90's-ness of it may have been a bit overboard. However, the best teams in franchise history (by far) wore the mountains and cemented that look as the "glory look" for the franchise. That, coupled with childhood nostalgia, has made them a sort of "guilty pleasure" uniform for me. I know it's a bad uniform, but that's what my favorite team looked like when they were at their best, and I watched it all happen; I can't help but love it anyways.

And I'll go so far as to say I really want them to throwback to it. And go all out with an alternate court, too. Go big or not at all!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1) Broncos flaming rats

2) Brady-era Patriots side panels

3) Crosby-era Vegas gold Penguins

4) Hasek-era angry goat Sabres

I LOLd at that.

I kinda forgot about the Pats. These uniforms would probably be viewed as crap if that Pats were still mediocre.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1) Broncos flaming rats

2) Brady-era Patriots side panels

3) Crosby-era Vegas gold Penguins

4) Hasek-era angry goat Sabres

I LOLd at that.

I kinda forgot about the Pats. These uniforms would probably be viewed as crap if that Pats were still mediocre.

If the Patriots were mediocre, we'd look at their uniforms the same way as the Bills' navy.

I'd also like to add the Diamondbacks throwback. Would there be as much clamor to bring it back if they didn't win the WS in them? Not exactly classic, but definitely a not-good look made better by a championship.

Oh, and the Rockies black vests too! No way those would have stuck had they not made the World Series wearing them almost exclusively in 2007.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Edmonton Oilers--when they switched to the darker blue & copper they looked much better.

But maybe the current team will ruin the blue & orange that don't match.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

No question these outdated, mismatching unis would be long gone if not for six Lombardis.maxresdefault.jpg

As a Steelers fan I would say no....but that is because they won 4 with the old set. I remember when they changed the jersey font to match the helmet font...there were people climbing on the Clemente Bridge to jump off it. BUT had they not won 4 Super Bowls at the beginning I agree the Steelers would look A LOT different than they do today.

No question these outdated, mismatching unis would be long gone if not for six Lombardis.maxresdefault.jpg

As a Steelers fan I would say no....but that is because they won 4 with the old set. I remember when they changed the jersey font to match the helmet font...there were people climbing on the Clemente Bridge to jump off it. BUT had they not won 4 Super Bowls at the beginning I agree the Steelers would look A LOT different than they do today.

Had the Steelers' 70s dynasty never happened....

pitt14.png

....which would still be an upgrade.

6uXNWAo.png

Had the Steelers' 70s dynasty never happened....pitt14.png....which would still be an upgrade.
I agree something like that probably could've happened.

An upgrade, though? Absolutely not. I'll take a slightly disjointed set in need of some tweaks over a total eyesore.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Edmonton Oilers--when they switched to the darker blue & copper they looked much better.

But maybe the current team will ruin the blue & orange that don't match.

That color scheme wasn't bad, but it's not better than the current blue and orange. What ruined that color scheme were the god awful EDGE unis.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Archived