Bad Uniforms/Logos made classic by Good Teams

chcarlson23

I don't know that the Reds double knit pullovers of the 70s were "made classic" by the team's success, but it will forever bug me that those great teams played in these uniforms...

s-l1000.jpg

...rather than these, which they retired in 1971, just as things were getting rolling...

BuUu7liCMAEdF36.jpg

The Reds are on their fifth different uniform set since those 1969-71 models. They could've followed the lead of teams like the Dodgers and Yankees and kept them as-is since then and they'd be regarded as all-time classics. Instead, we've had to witness, in one decade or the other, pullovers, elastic waistbands, wide pants leg stripes, vests, ice cream hats, cut off sleeves, excessive black, and now gimmicky number and name fonts.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised that no one's mentioned the Thunder. I guess it goes without saying?

The Oklahoma City Thunder haven't won any championships and they've only been in OKC for 7 years.

Who would think of their set as "classic"?

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

They're the oldest baseball team. They don't need anything fancy.

The Patriots were the first team to come to mind. The side panels, the three-striped white socks that don't belong anywhere, the ugly NOB lettering, ugly numbers, their stupid little brushstroke of a logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Surprised that no one's mentioned the Thunder. I guess it goes without saying?

Not just the Thunder...

12010637_10153535599571877_4170136390296

Like the Thunder, nobody is claiming those Clippers uniforms are "classic". Until somebody does, they belong in plenty of other conversations, but not this one.

I don't watch, nor do I care about basketball, so pardon my ignorance... But... I kinda think those jerseys are nice. They're crisp, clean, and get the job done. Yes, they would look better if "Clippers" were in blue, but I don't see a big problem. The logo, however, is a mess, I'll agree.

Its not that good of a logo. It's only a double outlined star, I could have made this in Kindergarten, but yet it represents decades of Football glory...

samuel-l-jackson-stare.gif

Simple =/= bad.

Simple =/= good all the time either... I.e. The Cowboys, the current Lighting logo, and the Washington Capitals. While the Cowboys logo is classic, isn't a bad logo, is overly simple, and in a vacuum isn't a great logo...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I don't know that either of these are "bad" but certainly, some logos / uniforms are overrated by storied franchises.

• Packers. I love the yellow shell. And the uniforms are good overall. But the logo, a "G" for "Greenbay."

Crazy as it sounds, I could swear I've heard that the G didn't originally stand for Green Bay.

BB52Big.jpg

Pittsburgh Pirates 70's early 80's. Had they not won a World Series with the group of players they had, there would be 0 and I mean ZERO nostalgia for those banana gone bad unis.

I think this question depends on if the fan experienced those 1977-85 years, the Pirates were largely successful during that time period, with memorable moments and talented players. Even today, you'll still see pillbox hats, and those bumblebee jerseys at PNC Park.

How about the Yankees' pinstripes? There's nothing that really stands out about them in any way. Just simple pinstripes with the Yankees logo on the chest, and a navy blue hat also with a Yankees logo. Note the fact that the two Yankees logos on the uniform are similar but not the same.

Or that their primary logo and it's enitre color palette are nowhere to be found on either of their jerseys.

I think a lot of people are misundestanding the point of this thread. This isn't "Is it Classic? Yes? Than it's bad..." This thread is, what logo and uniforms in a vacuum are bad, or are just not good, but yet are hailed as Classic. The Yankees NY logo in a vacuum is good. So is the Habs logo or the Red Wings. The packers uniforms are good too. (Yes, the logo is meh, and same with the islanders.)

Edit: (Except for the black uni of the Isles, its the opposite. :upside: )

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

<p>

I don't know that either of these are "bad" but certainly, some logos / uniforms are overrated by storied franchises.

• Packers. I love the yellow shell. And the uniforms are good overall. But the logo, a "G" for "Greenbay."

Crazy as it sounds, I could swear I've heard that the G didn't originally stand for Green Bay.

Oh, please, let's not start that back up. Somebody might take it seriously again.

<p>

Oh, please, let's not start that back up. Somebody might take it seriously again.

Yes...rumor has it that it stands for "Greatness." Either way it does not work except for the fact that it has been with the most important franchise in the league for so long.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

BuUu7liCMAEdF36.jpg

Those uniforms are very generic and it makes me appreciate the addition of piping.

I take it you don't like these, either?

los_angeles_dodgers_los_angeles_dodgers_

PI-MLB-Cardinals-Jordan-walden-050315.va

7962135.jpg

All great looks ... baseball uniforms can look good with or without piping if done well.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived