2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Are the Penguins and Blues wearing special 50th anniversary jerseys this year?

As far as I know, the Blues aren't planning any novelty jersey for the anniversary.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's barely better than their trash home and away. If they go to a new jersey they can do better than that alternate. (Hint: look to the past. Why is this hard?)

I just really hate that big white yoke and I find the logo uninspired and easy. 

To that, I'll add that burgundy and navy is a bad pair of colors. They don't quite clash, but they don't go together well, either. I don't think it's wise to deviate from a color scheme that's been unique since the team's inception and immediate success. Also, clinging to the proprietary number style while reducing it to single layer is another weird way to half-let go of the past. I'm having trouble thinking of stylized numerals that look good with just one color. Usually that only works with athletic block, while deviating from block sort of requires you to follow through and be a bit more fanciful.

But we're dealing with what really seems to be a shoestring operation of an NHL organization, one that's left to itself to do whatever the budget allows while people worry more about the Rams, Nuggets, and Arsenal (and I don't think anyone's even putting much work into the Rams or Nuggets, either). "Barely better than the league's worst" is about all you can ask for from the post-second-lockout Avalanche.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

To that, I'll add that burgundy and navy is a bad pair of colors. They don't quite clash, but they don't go together well, either. I don't think it's wise to deviate from a color scheme that's been unique since the team's inception and immediate success. Also, clinging to the proprietary number style while reducing it to single layer is another weird way to half-let go of the past. I'm having trouble thinking of stylized numerals that look good with just one color. Usually that only works with athletic block, while deviating from block sort of requires you to follow through and be a bit more fanciful.

But we're dealing with what really seems to be a shoestring operation of an NHL organization, one that's left to itself to do whatever the budget allows while people worry more about the Rams, Nuggets, and Arsenal (and I don't think anyone's even putting much work into the Rams or Nuggets, either). "Barely better than the league's worst" is about all you can ask for from the post-second-lockout Avalanche.

I don't agree with your last paragraph...  They are the 8th highest cap team this year, not even close to a budget team.

I just think they have bad design guys and think their current look is good.

The Avalanche don't have 'design guys.'  Their 2007 set was the revelation, and adding yet another colour (navy) to an already convoluted palette was the underline.  The alternates barely have any contrast and they inexplicably use a logo that better represents the history of the team they beat to win their last championship.  Talk about inept.

40 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The Avalanche don't have 'design guys.'  Their 2007 set was the revelation, and adding yet another colour (navy) to an already convoluted palette was the underline.  The alternates barely have any contrast and they inexplicably use a logo that better represents the history of the team they beat to win their last championship.  Talk about inept.

Haha true. The New Jersey Devils were the Colorado Rockies before the move. Just another reason on the list of why rebranding into a replicate Rockies team is a bad idea. There's more than one reason.

Their 2007 set isn't a design. Reebok gave them several choices of templates. They chose the one with the long arm stripes and click n' filled the template in Avs colors within 5 minutes. They slapped on the same logos, made no further changes and it was done.

1 hour ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

When are they going to unveil them? The season starts tomorrow and they have yet to unveil their 50th anniversary jerseys. Philadelphia and Los Angeles did it quite some time ago.

I was saying their new yellow uniforms are as a joke

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

Burgundy and navy blue feels like the late 90's when it was cool to take your colors and darkify them. It's an old trend in an era where everyone else is going back to their bright colors. 

I think it's a color scheme that can work, and I've posted this concept a thousand times. The basic idea being that the Avs have always had one too many colors and the easiest way to fix that was to darken the blue to navy and eliminate black. 

joesakicwht_zpsd6b65166.pngjoesakic_zps5bd4d453.png

but by now if you're going to go back to that template you might as well just go back to the original colors. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Those mock-ups look good but that's because the blue doesn't look as dark as the navy blue most teams use now. The white uniform took me a second to realize it was even much darker than slate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Indeed.  The navy should definitely be on the lighter side if this was to implemented but my god do those mock-ups look good.  Perfect Avalanche concept right there.

15 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Their 2007 set isn't a design. Reebok gave them several choices of templates. They chose the one with the long arm stripes and click n' filled the template in Avs colors within 5 minutes. They slapped on the same logos, made no further changes and it was done.

Touche.  Rather perplexing why they chose the worst template possible.  Had they used something similar to Columbus it would have been passable.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Burgundy and navy blue feels like the late 90's when it was cool to take your colors and darkify them. It's an old trend in an era where everyone else is going back to their bright colors. 

I think it's a color scheme that can work, and I've posted this concept a thousand times. The basic idea being that the Avs have always had one too many colors and the easiest way to fix that was to darken the blue to navy and eliminate black. 

joesakicwht_zpsd6b65166.pngjoesakic_zps5bd4d453.png

but by now if you're going to go back to that template you might as well just go back to the original colors. 

That's essentially the Canucks' late 90s color pallette (which speaks to your darker color comment) on the Avs.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like that the Sharks ditched the front numbers... They actually look like a respectable hockey team now! :D 

And on the flip-side, the Kings with 2 shoulder patches looks... amateurish... if that makes sense. I think it might have something to do with the fact that the Reign have 2 homeplate logos on their shoulders, but I don't really know. It's hard to explain...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Pretty sure the Avs have black breezers and all black gloves because they were just lazy and grabbed whatever was around them.   Or hell, maybe forgot to design those elements and were stuck using standard issue equipment.

And now it's their look!  Ugh

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

Pretty sure the Avs have black breezers and all black gloves because they were just lazy and grabbed whatever was around them.   Or hell, maybe forgot to design those elements and were stuck using standard issue equipment.

And now it's their look!  Ugh

I do believe there was a story about them wanting maroon pants but not having time to get them made before the season started. Probably had to do with the pivot away from Rocky Mountain Xtreme identity.

They also petitioned the NHL to wear black helmets at home (with the white sweaters) too, because it looked cool, but that was rejected.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

It looks like the black numbers on the whites and black outlines on the burgundy's were added at the last minute to justify the lazy decision.  I'm a big fan of their original look but it would have been worlds better if black was restricted to the logo.

Archived