TheGrimReaper

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TRoyConcepts    378

I seriously don't understand even slightly why the Mountain C logo or the alternate is liked in any capacity. So bland and generic. Only thing that's nice about either is the shade of blue. Sure the Current logo is slightly outdated, but it's still a great logo. A simple modernizing would suffice. Buuuuuuuut noooooooooooooo. There must be some correlation betwwen high altitude and poor taste.

habsfan1    1,348

The most I could accept is a Rockies throwback alternate jersey. Their regular set needs to look like they're still the Colorado Avalanche.

the admiral    10,664

Colorado merchandise is hot because everyone's moving to Denver and they let you buy weed. Getting in on the trend isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but the Avs did so poorly because the Avs are a neglected subsidiary of another neglected subsidiary and no one cares about anything.

Toronto206    142

I will admit, the third jersey design itself is something to be desired. I like the white yokes, and the large size is unique to them. Something based off that third jersey, will being unique, would be best- those jerseys imo just happen to be their best. But I stand with the new logo, as it is one of my favorites in the league. A very unpopular opinion, but I'm just excited for the thirds to become home and roads. One thing I'm confused on is why people admire the original jersey's design: when I think of an avalanche, I think of downward, rushing motion, which the current primary logo poorly captures. But the jerseys replicate the angular design of mountaintops, and do not reflect the flowing, curving design of the logo on the front. From the way I see it, the new logo would be a better fit with the original design because they both reflects mountains. Just one thing I noticed.

daniel75    379
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Colorado merchandise is hot because everyone's moving to Denver and they let you buy weed. Getting in on the trend isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but the Avs did so poorly because the Avs are a neglected subsidiary of another neglected subsidiary and no one cares about anything.

You don't have to live in Colorado to buy weed ?

Nordiks_19    53

Am i the only one who thinks the Avs current logo is one the best in the league? Would be a real shame if the took it off and replace it with such a boring logo

habsfan1    1,348
3 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Am i the only one who thinks the Avs current logo is one the best in the league? Would be a real shame if the took it off and replace it with such a boring logo

It's absolutely a great logo. It's a 90s design, but a very good 90s design. There's a reason why it's still being used, even after 2 decades.

It just needs a tweak or two. A few simplifications of all the curves and outlines then it would be cleaned and freshened up.

Morgo    2,162

I don't even think it needs to be tweaked.  For a so called '90's logo' it's pretty restrained and the fact it has stayed around this long seems to disprove the notion that it can't stand the test of time.  It's been around only 4 years less than the Sabres original blue and gold look and it actually has championships attached to it.

They should leave the logo as is and adopt a respectable uniform template.  Banish the bib-atrocity and remind people of the teams winning history.  They could even use the mountain striping as the basis for something more traditional, like the stadium-series uniform hinted at.  I can respect that the logo isn't for everyone, but ditching it after 21 years is a mistake on par with what the Sabres did in 1996.  Especially when you factor in the championships.

OnWis97    2,309

Yeah, I don't think the Avs logo looks too "90s."  I still don't love it.  I would prefer a similar design with a "C," i.e., the place name (ignore my love for the North Stars "N-Star" logo), if it could be well-executed.  Still, they have to be careful with the idea of making a change. It's 20 years old and has seen two cups.  Dumping it will be a jolt to some of their fan base.

coltravesty    61

avs third jersey is nice, but if they made a white version it will be sexy af. I'd get an away jersey with whomever they draft on it in a heartbeat. 

Kaz    711

The current Avs logo is a bottom 1/3 logo, but the new one without any adjustments would be one too.  I just hope they don't ditch the current color scheme, it's the only good part of their identity.

the admiral    10,664

"The three stripes represent Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, and Patrick Roy."

WSU151    2,545
On 2/27/2017 at 9:07 PM, Morgo said:

In this case it is.  Whether you care for the design or not is irrelevant.  This is the Colorado Avalanche identity...

ryQqvOa.jpg

cAUxVl0.jpg

The Avs' banners are a mess.  The Stanley Cup banners are two different grays (always have been) plus the years are different fonts.  Sloppy.  

The fonts for the names and numbers for retired players aren't the actual font the team uses (close, but several differences on the numbers, and the font for the names is a joke).  I think Adam Foote's retired number is better than the other four, but it's still obvious that no one gave a damn about attention to detail.

Take a look at the kerning of Foote's numbers compared to Bourque and the others, and then notice how the outlines on Foote's numbers is way thicker than the other four.

52_Avalanche_5.0.jpg

Of course, this is a team that can't even hang all the banners at the same height....

Ice_Cap    7,795
23 hours ago, Morgo said:

For a so called '90's logo'...

So-called? It's literally a 90s logo.

Whether or not that dates it is up to personal opinion, but it's a logo from the 90s with very 90s-esque design cues. 

23 hours ago, Morgo said:

I can respect that the logo isn't for everyone...

Well that's really what it boils down to. I just don't like it. I prefer the current alternate/soon to be primary. It's a simple matter of aesthetic preference. 

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

"The three stripes represent Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, and Patrick Roy."

Its only March and I think we have the winner for comment of the year...

Corvus    57

Noticed some Canucks third jerseys for 50% off today in a local store. With the elimination of 3rd jerseys next year could be some deals to be had.