2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Penn State should remind the committee that Ohio State still worships a coach that physically assaulted an opposing player on national television. 

Whats your point?

While bad... Not quiteeeeee the same thing. 

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

If their "weak body of work" had them at #4 last week, how can a conference championship victory over what'll be a top-15 team in the final polls hurt the weak body of work?

Well it did not happen but it would have been 1-3 staying in and Penn State jumping them.  It may have happenthad Washington squeaked by in their game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Watching Penn State and Wisconsin on turf really shows the quality of players both teams have, but Penn State especially. Both team were able to do a lot more in ideal conditions last night compared to B1G Ten football weather regular season.  I think Penn State is worthy of a top 5 ranking, as they've gotten. 

That at being said, I think Michigan actually matches up the best with Alabama, ironically enough.  But I'll never count out D'shawn Watson when the game is on the line. Nor will I ever count out an Urban Meyer team coming off rest. 

3 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Well it did not happen but it would have been 1-3 staying in and Penn State jumping them.  It may have happenthad Washington squeaked by in their game.

After watching Penn State last night, I think Washington did JUST enough to stay at #4 and PSU slept walked just long enough in the first half. If the Huskies only won by ~10, I think we may have been looking at Alabama vs Penn State. 

12 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

That at being said, I think Michigan actually matches up the best with Alabama, ironically enough.  But I'll never count out D'shawn Watson when the game is on the line. Nor will I ever count out an Urban Meyer team coming off rest. 

Not a chance. Speight is very immobile and only mobile Qbs have a shot against that defense.

Looks who has beaten or been close to Alabama: Cam Newton, Bo Wallace, Chad Kelly, Jordan Jefferson, Johnny Manziel, Deshaun Watson. Speight ain't like those other dudes.

1 hour ago, Viola73 said:

Penn State should remind the committee that Ohio State still worships a coach that physically assaulted an opposing player on national television. 

Whats your point?

1.  The level of veneration for Woody Hayes by Ohio State the institution doesn't begin to approach that from Penn State to Joe Paterno.

2.  One heat-of-the-moment action that netted instant and decisive punishment =/= years, if not decades, of willfully turning a blind eye to and facilitating the sexual abuse of children.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

18 minutes ago, rams80 said:

1.  The level of veneration for Woody Hayes by Ohio State the institution doesn't begin to approach that from Penn State to Joe Paterno.

2.  One heat-of-the-moment action that netted instant and decisive punishment =/= years, if not decades, of willfully turning a blind eye to and facilitating the sexual abuse of children.

This is not the Say it Ain't So, Joe thread...save it for that. We are here to talk about college football in 2016.

The other New Year's Six games are announced...

Orange: Michigan vs. Florida State

Cotton: Western Michigan vs. Wisconsin

Rose: Southern California vs. Penn State

Sugar: Auburn vs. Oklahoma

10 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

This is not the Say it Ain't So, Joe thread...save it for that. We are here to talk about college football in 2016.

Fine, in 2016, Penn State chose to publicly commemorate the 50th anniversary of Joe Paterno's first game (which is basically unheard of even at institutions with legendary coaches who DIDN'T turn a blind eye to the sexual abuse of children) during a game.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Clemson should have swapped with Washington. Washington's conference final was a better win, and their loss was to a ranked team.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Fine, in 2016, Penn State chose to publicly commemorate the 50th anniversary of Joe Paterno's first game (which is basically unheard of even at institutions with legendary coaches who DIDN'T turn a blind eye to the sexual abuse of children) during a game.

Many, many weeks late. Way to go. This stuff is 3 1/2 years old. They didn't get the death penalty. Get over it. Just like you got over your precious Rams moving west. Find a new ax to grind.

29 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

The other New Year's Six games are announced...

Orange: Michigan vs. Florida State

Cotton: Western Michigan vs. Wisconsin

Rose: Southern California vs. Penn State

Sugar: Auburn vs. Oklahoma

These are great matchups. I can't wait to see them.

1 minute ago, jmac11281 said:

Many, many weeks late. Way to go. This stuff is 3 1/2 years old. They didn't get the death penalty. Get over it. Just like you got over your precious Rams moving west. Find a new ax to grind.

I was a proponent of the team moving to Los Angeles.  You have me confused for someone else.

That said, I work in higher ed.  I'll get over Penn State's light punishment for Sandusky/Paterno the same time I cease needing annual training to remind me how to behave as a functioning, decent human being what to do when I find out about a sexual assault on campus.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived