NHL 2017-18

Bmac

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

And here's where I point out the Colorado state flag (where the Av's C comes from ) came about two plus decades before the Cubs adopted the style C they have now. 

And here's where I point out that the Cubs have been using that C style for about 100 years longer than the Avs.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

And here's where I point out that the Cubs have been using that C style for about 100 years longer than the Avs.

And here's where I point out that's irrelevant, because the Avs are just adopting a previously existing symbol of the state in which they play and are named after.  Not to mention it's not even really the same "C" if you want to truly go the pedantic route. 

Just now, BrianLion said:

And here's where I point out that's irrelevant, because the Avs are just adopting a previously existing symbol of the state in which they play and are named after.  Not to mention it's not even the same :censored:ing C

It's not irrelevant. The C might not be the same C but it's pretty close, and it's the been the cap logo for one of sports' most iconic brands for over a century. I think more people associate that C with the Cubs than the state of Colorado.

It's inevitable that people would call them the Colorado Cubs or whatever.

3 hours ago, BrianLion said:

And here's where I point out the Colorado state flag (where the Av's C comes from ) came about two plus decades before the Cubs adopted the style C they have now. 

Does not matter, the Avs already got a great logo, and had one of the best secondary logos every created: 

Ryan-OByrne-Forsberg-Night-Gamer-Right-S

Big hairy foot, just brilliant.......

now look at this

csmall.0.jpg

The Yeti Footprint fits better with the primary logo and was always eye catching on the ice.  That being said, the 'C' also makes for a great shoulder patch.  Just need to keep it restricted to the uniforms.

On 10/12/2017 at 2:17 AM, Elmos World 17 said:

I guess this belongs in unpopular opinions, but I like that logo, and I really liked the alternate uniform they had last year (but the shoulder yoke was too big)

That’s not unpopular. Coloradans love it.

2 hours ago, jerseyjunk said:

The idea behind it is brilliant,  Avalanche, Mountain, Bigfoot.  Bigfoot walk in mountain. 

Big hairy smelly guy that will kick your ass, like Adam Foote.

The idea behind it is forced. Bigfoot is a Pacific Northwest legend through and through.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

13 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

The Cubs thick red C dates to the mid-1950s. The Colorado state flag was designed in 1911. The Cubs used a thin blue (or white) C starting in 1908, but I don’t think your average Joe would consider that similar to the Colorado C in form or appearance, nor signature to the Cubs, as it was only used for about 5 seasons.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 10/11/2017 at 10:27 PM, habsfan1 said:

100% chance next year we get an alternate with the C logo as the crest.

10 months ago on this board there was 100% chance the Avs were going to promote the C logo thirds to the primary home/road.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

The idea behind it is forced. Bigfoot is a Pacific Northwest legend through and through.

Bigfoot/Sasquatch is Pacific Northwest.  The Avs' mascot/foot was technically that of a Yeti (different beast)...which comes from the tall peaks of Asia (and the Rockies :P)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

16 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Bigfoot/Sasquatch is Pacific Northwest.  The Avs' mascot/foot was technically that of a Yeti (different beast)...which comes from the tall peaks of Asia (and the Rockies :P)

In that case, it was a bad idea to use a foot because it invites the association with the Bigfoot legend. Either way, Yeti folklore is, as you mentioned, Asian. All things considered here, I much prefer them appropriating a Colorado icon and fusing it with hockey imagery than using a mark inspired by random legends with nothing but surface-level connections to generally mountainous areas.

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The Cubs thick red C dates to the mid-1950s. The Colorado state flag was designed in 1911. The Cubs used a thin blue (or white) C starting in 1908, but I don’t think your average Joe would consider that similar to the Colorado C in form or appearance, nor signature to the Cubs, as it was only used for about 5 seasons.

The Chicago Athletic Club has been using that C for longer than anybody else, dating back to the 1890's.

20131125-009n.jpg

The Yeti foot is still too cartoony for my tastes (and I'm a hardcore Johnny Canuck supporter), while the "C with puck" is just dull. There should be a happy medium between the two logos.

Archived