NHL 2017-18

Bmac

I know someone who bought a Maple Leafs one and he said the one thing that I feared most when I heard about the way this was going to be constructed....the logo seems cheap. He said it's thin and it's tough to get back to it's smooth shape. Adidas showed in their promotional video pertaining to this but what I wanna know, how many of us pack it in suitcases or put them in drawers? I always hang all of my jerseys. I will spend the extra 60 bucks or so for the Authentic(which isn't that bad for the price $180 blank) than buy the replica.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ark said:

The half collars are much better than the full collars

matthews_wings.jpg

jonathan-drouin-canadiens-nhl-1300.jpg?i

I disagree. The full collars are still too big, but it’s a clean look. The half collars and the polo shirt collars look horrible. 

They look equally terrible.  I've tried to accept the new collars because they're the only blemish on an otherwise stellar league-wide-redesign but I can't.  They're clunky, obtrusive and in most cases, just plain ugly.

I strongly suspect within a season or two we'll start to see the collars getting fixed like what happened with Nike's NFL redesign.

Overall though Adidas did such a head and shoulders better job than Reebok did when they took over that I can't be too upset.

22 hours ago, Morgo said:

The Canucks should never change their colours or striping configuration ever again.  They should either commit to the Orca & Script or replace it with the modernized Stick N' Rink.  If they chose the latter, they could justify replacing 'Agency' with a Bloc Font.

I don't think you can commit to a logo that, as the previous poster to you said, doesn't quite fit nor was intended for the current green and blue colour scheme. The rink and stick (modernised or not) was originally intended for the green and blue colours and carries with it enough historical weight and is easily recognisable. I like how the Nordiques were also pointed out - very similar type logo. The simplest ideas are often the ones that last the longest. The Orca (while I really do like it) doesn't have the staying power that the rink and stick could. I'd lose the 'modernised' current version of the logo and revert back to the traditional horizontal stick but maybe beef it up a little bit. You can still have fun with a bunch of secondary logos but that logo could easily be used as the primary forever moving forward. KISS.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I disagree. The full collars are still too big, but it’s a clean look. The half collars and the polo shirt collars look horrible. 

They both suck.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Crappy collars may be an intentional design flaw.

People buy jerseys now because they are new and ADIDAS!

Then in a few years people buy again because they fixed those damn collars.

I'm at a point in my life and collection (over 200 nhl jerseys) that when it comes to ADIDAS, I'm only buying the new Vegas road (to have jerseys for all teams) and Toronto (because they're my favorite team), thats it.  

Cost and quality have made my decision. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I can hold off buying NHL jerseys. Right now the changes Adidas have done aren't doing it for me and yes, it's mostly because of those oversized toilet collars. Unless the Rangers go to the Finals, I'm not buying another jersey. (This is gonna be 3 leagues now in which I haven't brought a jersey since Reebok was making them)

XM4KeeA.png

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It was less Adidas doing a better job than Reebok and more the same team of designers knowing more today than they did in 2008.

Like knowing that carrying over existing designs is a better idea than shoehorning them on click-and-fill templates.  They could have saved themselves a ton of work had they done this back in 2007.

On 18/10/2017 at 5:48 PM, Chromatic said:

I maintain that that's the best jersey they've ever worn, and should be their road right now. Te home version would need to be tweaked, but I don't care if the home doesn't match 1 for 1, nobody cares about that for the Habs, Rangers, Wild, Stars, Blackhawks etc.

Agreed. My biggest pet peeves with the original blue jerseys:

1. The inverted Stick In Rink doesn't stand out like other inverted logos.

2. The two thick green striping needed white outlining to prevent the green from bleeding into the blue. 

The other improvements I would make to the blue jerseys and to the overall set:

1. Keep the white inner border emphasizing the 'C'.

2. Skating Johnny Canuck on the shoulders. That's an absolute must.

3. The original pants striping should have green bordered by white to, again, prevent the green from bleeding into the blue.

4. Green bordering on the block font.

20170329_123918.jpg

20171020_123559.jpg

On 10/19/2017 at 7:09 PM, Morgo said:

Like that was hard ;)

Qc6Oztb.jpg

I just don't understand why anybody would've ever thought NHL jerseys would look good with that kind of piping and no hem stripes.

And the NHL not learning from the NFL's foibles with the fat toilet seat collars. Though yes the half is definitely more tolerable. 

My brother in law is a Chicago Blackhawks fan (not a bandwagon guy either) He said he wouldn't wear the new jersey if he got it for free.

16 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I just don't understand why anybody would've ever thought NHL jerseys would look good with that kind of piping and no hem stripes.

The Edge rollout was a very confusing time for designers and teams, from what I remember. 

Reebok wanted tight fitting sweaters that would be tucked in. The league told them no, but not before a lot of the designs were in the pipeline. That’s why so many initial Edge designs didn’t have hem stripes. They’re designs left over from when the sweaters were going to be tucked in. 

The intial Edge sweaters also used cuts that Reebok intitally felt couldn’t do traditional striping. At least not as it had been done. That obviously went out the window when Chicago, Boston, New Jersey, and a few others told them to make it work. 

The tighter fits and moisture repellent materials didn’t last long either. The players hated the tight cuts and often went up a size or two for looser fitting sweaters. They also complained about the moisture repellent fabric causing sweat to pool in their gloves. 

The end result was that by year three of the Edge era the on-ice cuts and material had become almost identical to the old CCM/Koho sweaters. With a few notable differences like the curved hemlines and Edge collars. 

As time went on more and more teams realized they didn’t have to keep their Edge looks. Slowly but surely teams moved back in a traditional direction. 

TL:DR? The Edge uniform system was designed to be one very radically different thing that got vetoed, and a lot of original designs reflect that. 

Archived