Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's Nike taking advantage of someone's death (three years ago!) to introduce a design element (I don't believe the team encouraged it, otherwise they'd have had it sooner.)

The Lions have worn a WCF patch every season since he died.  So the team probably wanted to keep it going.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I'd put this one on par with the Vikings redesign, at least in terms of what it accomplished. Both redesigns brought the franchise back to a more traditional look, albeit with modern touches. Both redesigns have irksome minor flaws. Both served as adequate replacements to bad design choices. 

I'd call it a win. 

Except the previous Lions set wasn't a "bad design" choice. The only design flaw with the previous set was the odd numbers. The rest was a solid design. It was a "traditionalists hate it even though it is a solid design" choice.

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Lions have worn a WCF patch every season since he died.  So the team probably wanted to keep it going.

Yeah, I put this on the team.  Nike just took their ad hoc tribute and incorporated it into the design.  Pathetic all around. 

34 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Also - this WCF nonsense opens a door that can't be closed.  Now every team that gets a redesign will either need to make some kind of permatribute, or explain why whoever isn't worthy of one.  I'd expect a permatribute from the Steelers, maybe AL coming back when the Browns complete their correction in a few years, and hell - it'll become the norm.

It's nonsense and indefensible.  It's Nike taking advantage of someone's death (three years ago!) to introduce a design element (I don't believe the team encouraged it, otherwise they'd have had it sooner.)

I don't think the Browns and Steelers will have permatributes. Sure, I'm 99.9% certain that the latter will have a patch of some sort on their jersey this year, but I highly doubt that it will be permanent. I don't think the Browns will resurrect the AL patch either.

But this is the NFL so you never know.

NSFCvyu.png

15 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Oh God... They kept it on there. No offense Lions fans, but get over it. Yes, it's sad your owner died, but c'mon. It's been 3 years. These permanent patches/decals(looking at you Chiefs and Raiders) need to end. 

The "new" Browns tried the same with Al Lerner. Lasted five years before they remembered nobody cared.

6uXNWAo.png

2 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Except the previous Lions set wasn't a "bad design" choice. The only design flaw with the previous set was the odd numbers. The rest was a solid design. It was a "traditionalists hate it even though it is a solid design" choice.

Having to take a swipe at a whole group of your fellow posters is usually an acknowledgment that one's argument is weak. 

Just now, Gothamite said:

Having to take a swipe at a whole group of your fellow posters is usually an acknowledgment that one's argument is weak. 

Not taking a swipe, because it isn't an insult. Traditionalists hated the previous Lions set for their own reasons. That is totally fine. But from a purely design perspective, it wasn't "bad". It just didn't fit the Lions in the views of a lot of people (a lot of those people being traditionalists). Not using "traditionalists" in a negative or derogatory way.

Overall, I like the Lions new uniforms. It is a much needed change to a more traditional look. That God awful late 1990's/early 2000's  trend of putting black on uniforms where it had no business being there had to go. 

However, as a Chicago Bears fan, I really don't like the "WCF" on the left sleeve. It is a cheap copy of the "GSH" that their division rival has had as a staple of their uniforms for decades. 

1 minute ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

However, as a Chicago Bears fan, I really don't like the "WCF" on the left sleeve. It is a cheap copy of the "GSH" that their division rival has had as a staple of their uniforms for decades. 

Kristen-Wiig-Aunt-Linda-Oh-brother.gif

Swing and a miss in my opinion.

Hard to tell in the pictures, are the numbers grey with a dark grey stroke? If so, they nullify the one thing this switch needed to accomplish, simplify in the absence of black. But in some pics it looks white.

The word marks on the sleeves are bad and the stripes are less distinct. I thought they were pretty much perfect before, though the lack of silver in the logo might have been its one flaw. I even liked the stylized font. Overall clear downgrade to me.

4 minutes ago, YessSir32 said:

From Marvin Jones' instagram. Personally, I think this combo is beautiful.

JPtbKTj.jpg

That would've been a much better option for Color Rush than the unfortunate and mostly ugly dark gray uniform they ended up going with. It doesn't look as bad as I was expecting but I still don't want to see it hit the field. Of course it inevitably will so hopefully they limit it to once, or twice at the absolute most, a season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

39 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Kristen-Wiig-Aunt-Linda-Oh-brother.gif

You can blow me off if you want. 

But the Lions ripping off the Bears  "GSH" by putting "WCF" on their left sleeve is the equivalent of a Steelers division rival deciding to put their logo on only one side of their helmet. 

12 minutes ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

the Lions ripping off the Bears  "GSH" by putting "WCF" on their left sleeve is the equivalent of a Steelers division rival deciding to put their logo on only one side of their helmet. 

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right.  

38 minutes ago, JTrainGBR83 said:

Is the helmet color slightly darker or is that just the lighting?

tempGSC32622--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Probably just the lighting, when the new Bucs helmet was unveiled it looked much darker on black background than the real version did.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Really?  I did not know that.  Is it this one here?  I never even noticed it.  Fine, then it's on the team, not Nike.  I have nothing against honoring someone that meant a lot to a franchise, but a permanent memorial on a jersey where it's competing for space with wordmarks, shields, special-event patches, and possibly other memorials when someone else dies, is too much.

6820554_orig.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived