Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't get is why you would outline WCF in white and not Lions?! If they could have added white in the places like the contributor in a few post back said or Lions on BOTH sides, then done deal. Numbers are slanted, didn't see that until now.

Nike is syn-no-y-mous with a-sym-me-try and will con-tin-ue to be.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Additional photos that I've found across the Twitters.

IMG_8284.JPG

IMG_8285.JPG

Upon further review, this jersey is actually nice on its own when not in full color rush. Might even look good with the blue pants (and gray socks)

But at the same time it feels like a GFGS alternate Nike would come out with for a college team, especially when paired with the gray pants.. When I first saw that, I immediately thought Kentucky.

Helmet: A I love it. The silver facemask looks great, the stripe looks great, and the blue outline on the logo actually works with the stripe. If only they dropped the white from the logo, or added white to the stripe to make it consistent. 

Home and Away Jerseys: C So close yet so far. Sleeve wordmark, mismatched WCF, and thin italic numbers all tarnish it, but it's not completely terrible.

Home Pants: A+ No pants wordmark! The striping looks great.

Away Pants: B- Pairing them with blue socks ruins otherwise great pants.

Color Rush: Nice look for a high school, terrible look for a professional team.

Throwback: A+ No explanation needed.

spacer.png

Yeah, the color rush uniform is pretty ugly, but most of them are. Here's something that just occurred to me that makes this one especially annoying.  If you look at the primary home and road uniforms, the dark Gray (I'll say "anthracite" one time and one time only) only shows up in one spot... the number outlines on the jerseys. There's no dark Gray on the helmet, none on the silver or blue pants.  It seems fairly obvious that this particular color (one of Nike's signature colors) was shoe horned onto the primaries in the most innocuous way possible, just to have the excuse to trot out that dark Gray alternate. This is like the 49ers using the tiny black outline around their logo as an excuse to drag out the ugly black alt. That bugs me. Either do a better job of incorporating the color throughout the whole set, or skip it.

I'm surprised by the amount of "meh, they're fine" and "I like them a lot" responses. 

I know this kind of thing is subjective, but I usually agree with the consensus around here. These? I'm still trying to find something I like about them, honestly. I just kind of feel like I'm missing something. 

3 out of 4 jerseys have terribly ugly sleeves. The dark gray for no reason bothers me. The blue pants don't fit the Lions to me. The gray on dark gray numbers on blue are too dark. The socks matching the blue pants and color rush pants are a look we have pretty much all agreed that we dislike. The color balance is all off. White in little places only, or anthracite in little places only, it just looks off. I don't get it, guys. Help me understand.

To me... it is a draw. interesting, but not better than before.  I think the Lions could have a classier look.  Like the Seahawks, it looks like they removed almost all white from the home uniform.  I would have left in white home numerals, and white trim on the stripes and NOB.  I would have introduced alternate white pants with blue and silver stripes.  And I would not have moved silver even further towards grey.  Color Rush could simply have been all blue or all white (better).  Unlike Seattle, there is not real trim color to focus on, and I don't like all gold or all silver nearly as much as all color.  Blue facemask would be better. 

Positives:  Got rid of black. No wording on pants, old style stripes. facemask does not look like chrome (so far). Blue tone is a bit better.  Got rid of name on front of jersey.  Nice to have classic Thanksgiving uni back. 

Negatives:  No white pants (never were, but I had hoped).  Wordmarks on sleeves - maybe could have been a bit subtler.  Color Rush is interesting, but goofy, like most teams' version.  Might be neat to see silver tops with blue pants once or twice instead.  Blue road pants are nice, but best if limited to 3-4 games per year, should wear with silver/grey sometimes.  Of course, we will see all blue once in a while, its inevitable.   

Not bad, modernized, but a draw. 

4 minutes ago, hecticbro said:

Why is the Nike logo on the sleeves backward?

It's been that way on all NFL jerseys since 2012.  Technically it's not backward.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, imawalkingcorpse said:

As perfect as a 25 point lead in the superbowl.

As perfect as the 2007 Patriots.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

"WCF" is unfortunate, but I think VERY livable with. Huge fan of bringing back the blue pants, but only if they were to have been smart and gone with white-topped striped socks. Oh, and put "DETROIT" on the sleeve of the white jersey instead of Lions. But whatever.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Decent uniform, and an upgrade from the previous one. Yes, there are things I take issue with (the WCF and LIONS on the sleeves, lack of stripes on the pants of the color rush jersey, blue socks with blue pants, and the number font) but overall, I'd say this is the second best Nike-manufactured uniform - next to Minnesota. And even with some of the issues, they're not as bad as they could have been (the font isn't my style, but it's not horrific). I'd give it a 7/10.

6 hours ago, Gupti said:

I believe that this reveal indicates that solid socks are going to be the norm from now on. They wouldn't just make an exception in the rules for one team who wanted to go against the grain to look cool, so the rule obviously isn't going to exist anymore. And if the league won't enforce it any longer, why the heck would individual teams feel the need to? It's not like it was the teams who decided to add the white sanitaries to their uniforms because they thought that they would complement their looks. Since no one will be stopping them anymore, I think that we're going to see players on all teams make the switch to solid socks (if they haven't done so already) in the next couple of years until the white sanis are a relic of a bygone era. I would imagine that that is because the solid sock look for Color Rush must have been considered a success by the league. Take that for what you will.

I think you're right, and this is an area of which I'm glad they evolved. Solid socks, IMO, look better than the half-white/half-team color socks of the past. I think most people prefer the latter due to the history, but it looks gimmicky when compared to solid socks. Now if only we could get teams to pair their socks with contrasting pants...

NSFCvyu.png

According to Fanatics the replica jerseys use the old template and Premier use the new one. I own a Ravens color rush Premier and the fit is much different than the replicas. Sleeves are shorter and jersey is much snugger fit

ff_2640425_full.jpg&w=600ff_2633462_full.jpg&w=600

The thing I hate most about the Dolphins redesign is the numbers - they're "weak" - meaning, too thin and too tall (or at least the style creates that illusion.)

These are very close to being in that category too, but the outline might save them.  I still do not like the font - I think a more traditional (even if italicized) block would have been better.  It's not the end of the world though.

What is encroaching on the "end of the world" is the charcoal outline on the gray numbers.  It really muddies things up and makes the uniform look too dark, and it doesn't help that they play under artificial light.  White, or no outline at all might have worked better (I'd lean towards none.)

Also - this WCF nonsense opens a door that can't be closed.  Now every team that gets a redesign will either need to make some kind of permatribute, or explain why whoever isn't worthy of one.  I'd expect a permatribute from the Steelers, maybe AL coming back when the Browns complete their correction in a few years, and hell - it'll become the norm.

It's nonsense and indefensible.  It's Nike taking advantage of someone's death (three years ago!) to introduce a design element (I don't believe the team encouraged it, otherwise they'd have had it sooner.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd put this one on par with the Vikings redesign, at least in terms of what it accomplished. Both redesigns brought the franchise back to a more traditional look, albeit with modern touches. Both redesigns have irksome minor flaws. Both served as adequate replacements to bad design choices. 

I'd call it a win. 

Archived