Logos & Uniforms that remind you of something else

Bruins

when i was a little kid, living near poughkeepsie, new york, i had a truck toy similar to this one.

IMG_6210-630x472.jpg

Not until years later did I learn that Hess has absolutely nothing to do with the New York Jets. The color scheme and two stripes, and general wordmark look made me conflate the two in my toddler mind.

i still think of Hess trucks every time I see the New York Jets.

1168212942_5444.jpg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

when i was a little kid, living near poughkeepsie, new york, i had a truck toy similar to this one.

IMG_6210-630x472.jpg

Not until years later did I learn that Hess has absolutely nothing to do with the New York Jets. The color scheme and two stripes, and general wordmark look made me conflate the two in my toddler mind.

1168212942_5444.jpg

I wouldn't say they had nothing to do with each other. Leon Hess, founder of Hess, was also an owner of the Jets. Not sure if that's why they look like Hess trucks but could be. 

1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

IMG_6210-630x472.jpg

1168212942_5444.jpg

Ummmm . . . Leon Hess, the founder of the Hess Corporation, was the owner of the Jets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Hess

That said, the color connection is probably a coincidence. Per the Wiki article, he was part of the consortium that bought the Jets in 1963.  However, he was one of five partners and didn't become the majority owner until 1973, so I would assume he didn't have sole authority to select the Jets color scheme.

Giants Stadium had a large Hess sign for many years.  I'm pretty sure that was not a coincidence.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJDGb2ecnliHXGQcNEPzq

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

17 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Insta...

I swear to god, the flavour is in my mouth every single time.

Part of me wants to throw those jerseys in the blue box for recycling.

All the flavor...none of the calories.  Good deal.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Regarding the Pac-Man Hawks logo...it certainly reminded me of Pac-Man, though I knew it was a coincidence.  But it was years before I saw the Hawk's head.  I just could not shift my focus from the backwards-C with a dot in it...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 3/20/2017 at 9:00 PM, EddieJ1984 said:

c4s_2bucsuniform030414_12688185_8col.jpg

Alarm-clock-007.jpg

Don't think I can post what I'd compare the browns too lol

I got it covered:

e2d68cda9ea7f921b66e4aafbfdd13f5.jpg

Reese's-PB-Cups-Wrapper-Small.png

Specifically, the early 1980s look with the near-matte orange pants remind me of the Reeses packaging, specifically the older-style packaging for a Reese's ice cream packaging (which I can't seem to dig up) almost completely devoid of yellow. Their classic brown-over-white, white-over-orange, and white-over-white looks also remind me of this to a lesser extent...but I can't help you with their current set. :/:P

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On 3/21/2017 at 0:05 PM, ColeJ said:

Other people already beat me to the Hess thing.  I never made the comparison, and when I read about the ownership of the team, I couldn't believe I didn't notice before then.  I mostly quoted you because holy crap, you apparently lived, like, twenty minutes away from me.

As for the Browns, I never understood the talk about this bringing them into the future, because the lettering and stripes on the pants reminded me of a pair of old workout pants my dad had had since the 80's.  The style looks dated to me, if anything.

55f40f1d0dbc970d025ff614a63ca528_origina

pumped.jpg

Others...

492995032000.giflargetexacologo.gif

ya6m9cyfm1h9uildz4yseecps.gifdepositphotos_48683497-Mushroom-slices.j

ophgazfdzfdkeugut9bdw3iyz.gifautv-cheers.jpg

24040432017.gif102?cb=20151004124734

EDIT: Apparently the original Bart image I used was replaced by the website with a download link.  Sorry about that.  Fixed now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Other people already beat me to the Hess thing.  I never made the comparison, and when I read about the ownership of the team, I couldn't believe I didn't notice before then.  I mostly quoted you because holy crap, you apparently lived, like, twenty minutes away from me.

As for the Browns, I never understood the talk about this bringing them into the future, because the lettering and stripes on the pants reminded me of a pair of old workout pants my dad had had since the 80's.  The style looks dated to me, if anything.

i actually lived in Wappinger's Falls, New York... during the whole Tawana Brawley ordeal that was all over the headlines nationally. Lived right next to her family.

I don't remember a ton from the trial or anything though. I was a pre-schooler in 1988. I just say Poughkeepsie because no one at all has ever heard of Wappinger's Falls.

But since I derailed the conversation a little, I'll come back with another on-topic contribution.

13986_01_lg.jpgorange-tootsie-pops-127408.jpg

those helmets with the raised ridge down the middle certainly don't NOT help the association in my mind.

On 3/21/2017 at 11:50 PM, DustDevil61 said:

I got it covered:

e2d68cda9ea7f921b66e4aafbfdd13f5.jpg

Reese's-PB-Cups-Wrapper-Small.png

Specifically, the early 1980s look with the near-matte orange pants remind me of the Reeses packaging, specifically the older-style packaging for a Reese's ice cream packaging (which I can't seem to dig up) almost completely devoid of yellow. Their classic brown-over-white, white-over-orange, and white-over-white looks also remind me of this to a lesser extent...but I can't help you with their current set. :/:P

Credit where credit is due, this was submitted to Uniwatch by a reader Phil, who visualized most succinctly what many of us were already thinking:

Cleveland-Browns-all-brown-uniforms-5.jp

browns-brown-brown-uniforms-0526f58b9451

10079689535_496ef12e67_o.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived