Brewers new uniform

WissX

18 hours ago, McCarthy said:

You know what is hard to believe? The Miller Lite uniforms have been around since 2000! Just go back to the BiG permanently and knock it off with this halfzies identity that doesnt please anyone. 

Can someone explain why the underlying tail only underlines the wers? 

ttfelv66500qiz4fenp9hphn5.gif

It was designed to not cross the placket.  Presumably they didn't want the kind of "gap" issues the script itself can have.  

9149120-jorge-lopez-mlb-milwaukee-brewer

Of course, if that was their only solution they should have just left the vestigial tail off altogether.  Scripts don't absolutely need tails, complicated scripts like this one even less so.

9545551-ender-inciarte-mallex-smith-mlb-

Better no tail at all than half of one. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something just occurred to me that I find a little hard to believe.  Counting the change to the Motre Bame/Germanic set in 1994 as the starting point, this is the Brewers 24th season in navy.  Before that, they spent 24 seasons in royal blue.  Maybe my perception is skewed because I grew up when they were a royal blue and yellow/athletic gold team, but I wouldn't have guessed that the navy has now been around as long as the royal blue.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yeah, this set has lasted longer than it should have.  I blame ownership - Bud Selig was known for constantly tinkering with the club, alway trying to stay ahead. He never would let this uniform linger out of intertia.   When Wendy and Laurel took over, they let things (and people) coast for far too long.  And Attanasio might have wanted to wait before putting his own stamp on the franchise, which is usually commendable but not necessarily in this case.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

It was designed to not cross the placket.  Presumably they didn't want the kind of "gap" issues the script itself can have.  

9149120-jorge-lopez-mlb-milwaukee-brewer

Of course, if that was their only solution they should have just left the vestigial tail off altogether.  Scripts don't absolutely need tails, complicated scripts like this one even less so.

9545551-ender-inciarte-mallex-smith-mlb-

Better no tail at all than half of one. 

Yeah I'm with you. If the break in the shirt is a problem that requires the short tail then it's bad design, among other things, to even have a tail. 

I think they went too too heavy towards the beer label direction. Around 99/00 that was a period of great complexity in beer label designs which may be why the brewers logos have so many superfluous touches. Like the additional blue shadow on the wordmark. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I'm probably the only person around here who would love to be an updated version of either of these uniforms.

73+colborn.JPGDonMoney100000_20080613353.gif

I really like the simple vertically arched wordmark and think it looks better on a white jersey than on the pinstriped version worn with the BiG.  I would also be interested to see how "Milwaukee" looks in the same vertically arched style instead of the script version that was worn with the BiG.

Whichever wordmark is used on the road version . . .  no powder blue road set!

Did that guy sign his picture "Da Money"?

7 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Triple Play 98 had a green alt for this set. Wish that had become a thing. Must've been in the works at some point.

There was a yearbook or magazine made in the 90s that hinted at a green jersey, as it was a green background, with a navy "BREWERS" outlined in gold at the top.  Looked very Notre Damey, but nice.  I think there's a pic of in somewhere deep in the MLB Changes thread.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Ahhhh.  That at least makes some sense.  It's terrible but at least a bit less random.

Of course, I'd say to the Brewers: First, your over-done wordmark has that effect worse than most teams anyway, and second, why does the "Milwaukee" tail barely cross the placket?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

9 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Ahhhh.  That at least makes some sense.  It's terrible but at least a bit less random.

Of course, I'd say to the Brewers: First, your over-done wordmark has that effect worse than most teams anyway, and second, why does the "Milwaukee" tail barely cross the placket?

#EpicTailFail   :P

The "Milwaukee" script was never intended to be put on a jersey.  Which is pretty obvious once you look at it.

GettyImages-515210810.0.jpg

It was designed to be used on a sleeve patch, and possibly placed on merchandise. 

jonathan-lucroy-trade-milwaukee-brewers.

Once they put it on the front of the jersey, its flaws became apparent.

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That brief 1972 uniform, after they stopped using modified Pilots jerseys but before the switch to pullovers, is still my favorite. 

23b7b515040ebccf7b90b69254185241.jpg

I love the neck and sleeve piping. 

Simple yet unmistakable, classic yet unique.  The color scheme is perfect for the True Blue Brew Crew. 

Wow!  I didn't realise that this version existed.  According to Okkonen, that uniform was used only in 1971.  The 1970 uniforms had no front number and had the Pilots' sleeve stripes; and the 1972 uniforms were pullovers.  So evidently the team used its 1971 uniforms in spring training of 1972.

I will say that I prefer the thicker sleeve stripes of the pullovers (maybe just because I am more accustomed to seeing them); but, overall, this uniform is great.  

Other nice shots of that set:

Image result for 1972 topps brewers  Image result for 1971 brewers

Image result for 1971 brewers

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

55 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Did that guy sign his picture "Da Money"?

I didn't notice that before.  Maybe that's his rap name.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If there were to be only royal blue and athletic gold team, the Brewers should be it. Unfortunately, the organization is okay with mixing looks of eras, further muddying its identity. An even more unfortunate thing would be if the Mariners go back to those colors before the Brewers would. I don't think the Mariners should ever be in that color combo (their look is navy and teal). However, IMO, it will return to Seattle before it returns to Milwaukee. 

14 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

If there were to be only royal blue and athletic gold team, the Brewers should be it. Unfortunately, the organization is okay with mixing looks of eras, further muddying its identity. An even more unfortunate thing would be if the Mariners go back to those colors before the Brewers would. I don't think the Mariners should ever be in that color combo (their look is navy and teal). However, IMO, it will return to Seattle before it returns to Milwaukee. 

That would be a damn shame.  The Mariners' replacement set for those colors is much better than the Brewers'.

I want someone to go to that scheme.  I'd take Seattle doing so if offered and it was the only option.

However, I tend to agree with the sentiments of the above posters.

1. Seattle.  Their color scheme is unique and has firmly become their identity.  Yeah, I am sure there are trident caps at SafeCo, but most fan bases wear some sort of throwback.  Seattle has a unique look and even though when teams that change looks in my memory, I am not always clear on what is "them" (see: Canucks), I feel that this is the Mariners at this point.  
  2. Milwaukee.  Everything we've already said.  Just about everything is bad about this identity.  In theory, they could make a better identity with the same colors, but the color scheme would remain drab and uninspired.  I'd also guess that there's A LOT more affinity for the blue/yellow in Milwaukee than Seattle.  First, the Mariners never quite nailed their look.  The early stuff was mired in the powder blue era (not to mention futility) and "M's" look that Griffey started in was pretty bad.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt the "S" hat is a huge presence in Seattle. The current look is more associated with Griffey and with being competitive.  It's also unique.  Conversely, in Milwaukee, you have a team with a fan base that, if polled, may very well vote to go back to 1982.  The Brewers had a decent run in the early 1980s and the "throwback to current" ratio at Miller Park is pretty close.  Add how stale this look has become (if not just bad from Day 1) and they're the best choice.
  3. Someone else?  Maybe. The only one that comes to mind for me is the Padres.  I want them in brown full-time but I tend to doubt ownership will let that happen.  Blue/yellow would be a compromise. That temporary jersey last year was pretty sharp.

Anyway, my first choice would be Milwaukee.  Second would be San Diego, unless brown is on the table.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived