NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

Also, I can understand and appreciate the fact that you value "consistency" over all things.. But why should the two jerseys adhere to the exact same design, when they'll literally NEVER be worn at the same time? The old Vikings and current Cowboys don't have any issues (i'm sure there are others)..

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

The white space is to be consistent with the green jerseys. The green Jersey had a green space between the yellow and white so it matches the opposite. I take consistency over minor design flaws. Either have the green jersey go yellow-white-yellow with no green gap or keep it as is

People have said to bring them back full time. I'm fine with it as an alternate but full team is too much. I like the creamsicle but I don't want them back full time the blood red is such a badass look yet so many people say bring back the cream orange because Florida 

The best way to do it would be a gold and green stripe on the road with no gaps, same weight as the helmet/pant stripe, and two gold stripes on the home (like they did way back when). Consistency is overrated. You’ll never be a woke uniform designer if you design with obsessively consistent tendencies (not to mention the league would look really boring). It’s actually very simple:

“If you want to look great, coordinate!” :lol:

Also, grey face masks look dirty and tough. Colored face masks look vibrant and contemporary. There’s a place for both.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

40 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It all depends on how you define "consistency".. On the green jersey, yellow never touches white.. So to be consistent with that, those white spaces should be removed.. 

Consistency with no design flaws is greater than consistency with design flaws

Except that's not consistent. The consistent stripping is to have the secondary colors with a gap for the primary color of the jersey. The gap is to accommodate for the dominated color of the jersey. Having just the green and yellow stripe is a much more noticeable difference than having the gap

3 hours ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Gray facemasks make the helmets look washed out and dull. Example when the Browns had a white facemask it looked much brighter than with a gray mask. The giants white facemask also looks much better. The colts look better and so on. There's just no reason to use gray any more

I've posted this before, but let me do so again, since we're discussing it.

These are just my personal "rules" if you will, as to what circumstances I find a gray facemask to be acceptable.

1. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team has gray or silver as one of their main colors. 

2. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team is recreating a uniform from the past which used a gray mask.

3. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team is attempting to create a look that is more classic, "hard-nosed" or basic/tougher.

4. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team plays football.

Again, these are just rules that work for me, but these are the only cases in which I find a gray mask works.

47 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Except that's not consistent. The consistent stripping is to have the secondary colors with a gap for the primary color of the jersey. The gap is to accommodate for the dominated color of the jersey. Having just the green and yellow stripe is a much more noticeable difference than having the gap

Except that IS consistent.. The ONLY place on the entire uniform where white touches yellow is the striping pattern on the white jersey.. It's the only inconsistency in the set.. 

There are SEVERALways to maintain "consistency", and often times, they are inconsistent with each other.. Except my version of "consistency" in this case avoids a design flaw, while yours presents one

46 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Except that IS consistent.. The ONLY place on the entire uniform where white touches yellow is the striping pattern on the white jersey.. It's the only inconsistency in the set.. 

There are SEVERALways to maintain "consistency", and often times, they are inconsistent with each other.. Except my version of "consistency" in this case avoids a design flaw, while yours presents one

But the stripping patterns are consistent. So what on the green jerseys they don't touch that's because the dominated color is green instead of yellow. The stripping pattern supersedes colors touching. Again with the green jerseys is white-green-yellow-green-white meaning there is a space for the dominated color so why make the away jerseys green-yellow-green?  Basically it's S-D-S pattern. Either keep the gap or leave it. It makes no sense just beats the green jerseys barely use white

PS as to why it matters well it keeps the team identity throughout all looks. A viewer should glance at then and recognize the team. I do have a problem with the Cowboys inconsistencies. If not their looks get diluted. Just look at college some teams won't even use their team colors. I also have beef with mismatched colors on white like Jax and Seattle. The giants are arguably the worst offenders as their white jerseys have no blue and have red stripping. You also contradict yourself. If consistency doesn't matter why worry about keeping the yellow and white away? 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

These are just my personal "rules" if you will, as to what circumstances I find a gray facemask to be acceptable.

1. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team has gray or silver as one of their main colors. 

2. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team is recreating a uniform from the past which used a gray mask.

3. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team is attempting to create a look that is more classic, "hard-nosed" or basic/tougher.

Again, these are just rules that work for me, but these are the only cases in which I find a gray mask works.

Dude gray facemask are ugly nearly every time. Uniforms should only incorporate team colors and not use unnecessary ones. Gray is unnecessary. The colts looked so much better with the blue and white facemask. It honestly looks laughable with the new style helmets and facemasks. Like what is appealing about them? My rule is it only works of gray is apart of team color scheme

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The best way to do it would be a gold and green stripe on the road with no gaps, same weight as the helmet/pant stripe, and two gold stripes on the home (like they did way back when). Consistency is overrated. You’ll never be a woke uniform designer if you design with obsessively consistent tendencies (not to mention the league would look really boring). It’s actually very simple:

“If you want to look great, coordinate!” :lol:

Also, grey face masks look dirty and tough. Colored face masks look vibrant and contemporary. There’s a place for both.

Their old jerseys always had the gap. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Admittedly yes this is kind of a dated thing as many other teams used this style from the time but I favor consistency of the new uniforms than the inconsistency of the old ones. Thing is I barely noticed a before before someone pointed it out. Maybe having the green jersey be gold-green-good and away be green-gold-green would be slightly better but I just think it'd look awkward on the green jersey and think a white-gold-white would be better. Or they could try like the Steelers and have the green outline everything and keep the stripping the same. I don't want teams to dilute their looks to almost unrecognizable proportions. Just look at college. What team is this? 

icon_21477003-675x380.jpg

I'm not saying slightly changing the stripping is as bad as this but it starts somewhere. I'm also not against crazy alternates but I still feel they should include some part of the team identity

Gray facemask just look ugly and cheap to me. It doesn't strike me as rugged or intense. Again I prefer consistency and color coordination. White does the just as good

1953PACKERS-TeamPicture-1.jpg

The white and gold don’t have sufficient contrast to carry a stripe pattern unless it’s a dark gold. It just doesn’t have the same effect as a high contrast green and gold stripe does.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

17 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm confused.  Is this praise?

My bad, I meant the italics still look good even though I prefer the blocks.

As for grey facemasks, I'm generally against it unless grey is one of the teams colors (whether it be primary, secondary, even tertiary). I understand that they're vestiges of a different era of football, but in my opinion it generally adds nothing to a teams overall composition. Example: the Cards and Colts looked much better when they wore red and blue as their facemask colors respectively. They were both dulled when they switched back to grey.

NSFCvyu.png

23 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

My bad, I meant the italics still look good even though I prefer the blocks.

As for grey facemasks, I'm generally against it unless grey is one of the teams colors (whether it be primary, secondary, even tertiary). I understand that they're vestiges of a different era of football, but in my opinion it generally adds nothing to a teams overall composition. Example: the Cards and Colts looked much better when they wore red and blue as their facemask colors respectively. They were both dulled when they switched back to grey.

The Cardinals have never worn anything but a gray facemask since facemasks were added to helmets. Plus, I disagree those are two teams who have a classic helmet design that looks great with a gray facemask.

On 5/29/2018 at 2:05 AM, Old School Fool said:

Yes. There's also a gray facemask.

Has this been confirmed?  I hope it's true.  Otherwise, not much of a throwback look, although I'll greatly appreciate the block number font.  The leaked images say something about the 1979 Steelers, and they wore black facemasks. They switched to black I think in '77, maybe a season or two earlier.

3 minutes ago, Volt said:

Has this been confirmed?  I hope it's true.  Otherwise, not much of a throwback look, although I'll greatly appreciate the block number font.  The leaked images say something about the 1979 Steelers, and they wore black facemasks. They switched to black I think in '77, maybe a season or two earlier.

I was hoping for a gray facemask a couple pages back just for more differentiation between regular and throwback unis. 

But if it's definitely a 1979 throwback as the ad says, then probably regular black facemask.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Then it's a good thing that the Browns don't use a gray facemask with their current uniforms.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s because the human eye perceives colors differently based on what’s around them. 

There’s a reason white and gold are not supposed to touch in vexillology.  They blend together at any distance at all and become a fuzzy, indistinguishable mess. 

We just have a different point of view. You view as white not touching yellow o view it as the sleeve stripes not touching. The yellow doesn't really bother me

Also could you answer my question of what uniform redesign you favor over the classic?

3 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

The Cardinals have never worn anything but a gray facemask since facemasks were added to helmets. Plus, I disagree those are two teams who have a classic helmet design that looks great with a gray facemask.

I don't know why cardinals is listed I didn't list it but even then the cardinals would look better with a red facemask after the photoshoped jobs I've seen

I just don't get the appeal in gray facemasks. They just look dull and ugly and never strike me as tough or badass

37 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

I don't know why cardinals is listed I didn't list it but even then the cardinals would look better with a red facemask after the photoshoped jobs I've seen

I just don't get the appeal in gray facemasks. They just look dull and ugly and never strike me as tough or badass

Because the post to which he was responding by quoting says "the Cards and Colts looked much better when they wore red and blue as their facemask colors respectively"

It's where I sit.

55 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Bc when some people think football (or classic football) they associate that with the looks from the past. These looks included gray facemasks. 

Personally I love a gray mask when it fits in with the rest of the uniform. My personal rule is that is must include black cleats and white socks (or bottoms in the nfl's case). 

Gray works for Indy, NYG, previously the browns, and could work for a few other teams as well as teams like Bama and USC in the college ranks. But it would look silly with say the Texans or Falcons. Clashes with the rest of Arizonas uniforms, although that whole thing is a mess imo. 

Archived