2018 NBA "Off"Season-Because It's Always On

buzzcut

On 7/9/2018 at 11:43 AM, DG_Now said:

Because of the CBA. The NBA should abolish its salary cap and a lot of these current problems go away.

New ones arise, of course, but they wouldn't be too much different than what we have now.

If you rid yourself of the cap, then many will ask to eliminate the salary floor as well. There will be a small market owner who would forgo their revenue sharing split and just be thrifty. Last season, 14 of the 30 teams claimed to lose money before revenue sharing and nine lost money after the redistribution of revenue.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/19/revenue-sharing-losses-net-income-cavs-spurs-wizards

And Michelle Roberts was elected to another four year term yesterday.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/07/10/michele-roberts-re-elected-executive-director-nbpa

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you get rid of the salary cap then players will just form superteams with whichever team decides to throw money around wildly.

I do think that getting rid of maximum deals and just letting teams spend as much money as they want on individual players will help the league, as the financial ramifications of being a third wheel on a superteam vs. being the go-to guy on a good but not great team would be significantly higher.

2 hours ago, Kaz said:

If you get rid of the salary cap then players will just form superteams with whichever team decides to throw money around wildly.

I do think that getting rid of maximum deals and just letting teams spend as much money as they want on individual players will help the league, as the financial ramifications of being a third wheel on a superteam vs. being the go-to guy on a good but not great team would be significantly higher.

That was my reaction.  DG, I'd be curious to hear how getting rid of the cap helps.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It depends on the problem you're trying to solve.

If the problem is parity or competitive imbalance, good luck. As long as there are singularly dominant talents who can dramatically alter the game (like LeBron), the NBA will always have periods where one team wins multiple championships over several seasons. It's part of the game.   

If the problem is fairly compensting labor, then removing the cap obviously helps. Owners will still cry poor, but someone like Draymond or Booker will take $60m/year from the Magic than $55m from the Knicks or $35m from the Warriors. It would help the players at the top end maximize their value, and also open up another avenue to compete with teams like the Warriors who lucked into generational circumstances (Steph injury in a contract year, cap bump).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

No league should have a cap. Caps only exist to artificially lower players' salaries and save owners from spending their own money. That it protects any semblance of competitive balance or parity is just an illusion. Let workers earn what they're worth.

About 60% of Lakers “fans” aren’t actually fans. 1. They cheer for the team because they win. 2. They cheer for the team because the Lakers play in Los Angeles or 3. They love Kobe.

I’m not big on the “bandwagon” argument. If you love your team and are knowledgeable, go ahead. I can’t tell you who to like. And the Lakers fans who have liked them and stuck with them since Kobe left are real. But the people who have liked the Lakers for 10 days bothers me. 

Then you're immature.  Sports is about fun.  For some people, spending valuable time watching a crap team in a half-empty arena isn't fun, and neither is making that emotional investment when you know they're going to lose.  If it makes anyone feel great that they're a "real" fan, then great - that's awesome.  I was like that for an awful long time, and always thought that the championships gave me more enjoyment than others because I "suffered" longer.  That's crap.  The only difference between me and a bandwagon fan was those days of suffering that I endured, while they were out having fun.

I'm now a total bandwagon fan (except maybe the Eagles, but even then I only watched half the games in '15 and only in '16 to see Wentz) and not ashamed of it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Then you're immature.  Sports is about fun.  For some people, spending valuable time watching a crap team in a half-empty arena isn't fun, and neither is making that emotional investment when you know they're going to lose.  If it makes anyone feel great that they're a "real" fan, then great - that's awesome.  I was like that for an awful long time, and always thought that the championships gave me more enjoyment than others because I "suffered" longer.  That's crap.  The only difference between me and a bandwagon fan was those days of suffering that I endured, while they were out having fun.

I'm not a total bandwagon fan (except maybe the Eagles, but even then I only watched half the games in '15 and only in '16 to see Wentz) and not ashamed of it.

I've been to two Mariners games this season, which were both more fun because they're winning. I've been to zero Sounders games this season because they stink.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'd like to think there's an economic argument too, e.g. if a team is hopeless, don't give them ticket revenue or merch sales until they turn it around. But we know markets don't quite work like that in sports.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Digby said:

if a team is hopeless, don't give them ticket revenue or merch sales until they turn it around. 

Sounds like Bill Clinton's welfare reform is making a comeback!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm now a total bandwagon fan (except maybe the Eagles, but even then I only watched half the games in '15 and only in '16 to see Wentz) and not ashamed of it.

Ok, first of all, we have different views on sports. To me, it ain’t about fun all the time. Thats a YMCA flag football attitude. You can have fun, fine with me! Have all the fun you want. Sports are great and being a fan is great. But sports aren’t always fun. If you are a true diehard fan, you gotta endure some tough times.

Rockets and Blues. What do they have in common? Playoff failure on a consistent basis (if they even manage to make it). I’ve been through some rough years with both teams. But sticking it out and going to games when they don’t do well makes it all the sweeter when I get to watch them take the mighty Golden State Warriors to 7 games, or advance all the way to WCF against the Sharks (in the Blues case). I’ve been spoiled as a Cardinals fan. But this year the birds are in danger of not making the playoffs again for the third straight year, the longest drought without playoffs since the late 90s. But I’ve still attended games. I continue to pay for MLB.tv and I know that the night when my team wins it again will be incredible. I rep my team and consider my self a rabid Cardinals and Blues and Rockets fans, good or bad team. 

No disrespect intended. Not sure how you got immature out of my comments? I’d like some further explanation on that if possible. Its my view, not a right or wrong thing. So I don’t see immaturity at all. Do I hate bandwagon fans? No. But don’t claim you’ve been through the tough times if you haven’t.

Isaiah Thomas to Denver. Veterans minimum, the poor bastard. 

I have a maybe dumb IT question. After the Boston stint, the whole thing was trying to avoid surgery on his hip, right? But rehabbing it he still missed half the season. Now he IS getting the surgery but will miss half the season again. Why didn’t he just get it to begin with?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Ok, first of all, we have different views on sports. To me, it ain’t about fun all the time. Thats a YMCA flag football attitude. You can have fun, fine with me! Have all the fun you want. Sports are great and being a fan is great. But sports aren’t always fun. If you are a true diehard fan, you gotta endure some tough times.

Rockets and Blues. What do they have in common? Playoff failure on a consistent basis (if they even manage to make it). I’ve been through some rough years with both teams. But sticking it out and going to games when they don’t do well makes it all the sweeter when I get to watch them take the mighty Golden State Warriors to 7 games, or advance all the way to WCF against the Sharks (in the Blues case). I’ve been spoiled as a Cardinals fan. But this year the birds are in danger of not making the playoffs again for the third straight year, the longest drought without playoffs since the late 90s. But I’ve still attended games. I continue to pay for MLB.tv and I know that the night when my team wins it again will be incredible. I rep my team and consider my self a rabid Cardinals and Blues and Rockets fans, good or bad team. 

No disrespect intended. Not sure how you got immature out of my comments? I’d like some further explanation on that if possible. Its my view, not a right or wrong thing. So I don’t see immaturity at all. Do I hate bandwagon fans? No. But don’t claim you’ve been through the tough times if you haven’t.

It's not immature to enjoy (or not) sports in whatever way works for you.  If you want to suffer and wear it as a badge-of-honor?  Cool.  As soon as you start criticizing "fans" [sic] and claim superiority because you have more knowledge and can name the uniform numbers of every schmuck that signed a 10-day contract as far back as 1992, and claim that the way other people enjoy sports "bothers" you, that's immature.   

People have different priorities in life.  When I was younger and had fewer responsibilities, SPORTS!!! were high on the list.  Now, I ain't got time to invest in anything that is 1) inconsequential, 2) ultimately lines the pockets of low-lifes with more money than actual contributors to society will ever see, and 3) has a great likelihood of causing disappointment.  For me, it's about the social experience, and that's always better when a team is winning and people are celebrating, climbing poles, punching horses, and eating their poop.  Especially if that team happens to win the Super Bowl, like the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles did in this year's Super Bowl.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bragging about being a better fan of a team because you sat through a 20 win season (NBA/NHL), 4 win season (NFL) or 100 loss season (MLB) is like bragging about being a better Star Wars fan because you sat through Attack of the Clones.

Granted, there are annoying aspects of the not-as-dedicated fans, such as the annoying novice fans at Dodger Stadium who: get up and crawl across the row to get a beer in the middle of a bases loaded, two-out at bat; bring five beach balls; and repeatedly try to start the wave in another bases loaded, two-out situation.  At the end of the day? The owners still get their money.

VmWIn6B.png

5 hours ago, Digby said:

Isaiah Thomas to Denver. Veterans minimum, the poor bastard. 

I have a maybe dumb IT question. After the Boston stint, the whole thing was trying to avoid surgery on his hip, right? But rehabbing it he still missed half the season. Now he IS getting the surgery but will miss half the season again. Why didn’t he just get it to begin with?

Because he was afraid he'd miss half the season.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

When your coaches headbutts his player, your league is done LaVar.  This isn't Bob Knight and this isn't 1986.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/basketball/2018/07/13/lavar-ball-junior-basketball-association-edward-denard-montrell-dixson/782053002/

Shut it down, now.

Nothing says top quality league like slapping a nameplate on a jersey that doesn't match the color of the jersey it's going on either. How long until he renames it ABA 2018?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived