10 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

You mean a team drafting 3 hall of famers (at 7, 11, and 35) ?

I appreciated that the Warriors were assembled the old-fashioned way. They were game-changing and dominant.  Adding Durant negated that appreciation. They were a smart / lucky team that had built itself into a perennial contender.  Now they’ve bought themselves perennial certainty.  The signing was smart but it doesn’t make any of this praiseworthy.

In the words of David Berri, the short supply of tall people (and furthermore, tall people with NBA talent).  The body types needed to competently play other sports tend to be more plentiful.  By contrast, you don't exactly see people with LeBron-like bodies walking around too often unless you're a basketball scout/coach.

57 minutes ago, OaklandIsBack said:

Lmao your bum ass Clips had no interest in KD?

You know, you're right. KD joining a Clippers team that couldn't get past the second round of the playoffs is exactly the same as KD joining the 73-win Warriors that already won a championship without him! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

Really, if you dislike parity so much, then go watch hockey. You’re barking up the wrong tree if you expect the same from basketball. 

The NHL has more parity than the NBA. 

Now you’re absolutely right about basketball having a bad habit of tearing down its heroes (it shares that with hockey to be honest), but why is it that when people discuss the NBA in comparison to other sports the NBA supporters always trash the NHL? 

I mean I said it in the NBA regular season thread around the All-Star Game. When everyone was blowing the NBA for being so “fresh and exciting” for an ASG format the NHL had pioneered and moved on from already; what’s so exciting about 29 teams fighting to see who gets to lose in five to the Warriors? 

Turns out they didn’t need five. 

Now look. I’m not an anti-Warriors hater. I feel kind of...I guess positively neutral about them? They were a team that sucked for most of my formative years as a sports fan, and so I still feel a tinge of positively seeing them win now. I guess they’re basketball’s version of the Blackhawks for me. I don’t mind them, and I’m even kind of happy for them. 

It’s just that everyone was pumping up the NBA’s tires this season, going on about how exciting it was, and how wide open it was. Only for the same Finals to happen for the fourth time in a row and for it to end in a sweep at that. 

And it’s like...don’t tell me the NBA is good (and better than the NHL because boo hockey) because it’s wide open and exciting only to switch to the NBA being good (and better than the NHL because boo hockey) because dynasties are healthy. It’s one or the other. It can’t be both. 

57 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think Chamberlain gets dinged for being over seven feet tall.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Kareem is usually included in the GOAT discussion and he was listed at 7'2".

Basketball lends itself to dynasties because cores tend to stay together and you can generally win with two or three good guys.

The Warriors are different because they added a fourth good guy to a record-breaking core. And they were able to do that for two reasons: Curry's signed to an under-market deal due to timing of his ankle injury and because of the 2016 cap bump that worked out well only for Durant, Mozgov and Luol Deng.

I don't know who exactly is praising NBA by trashing NHL, but you're right that the Capital's win was more exciting than the Warriors'. And eventually, the memory hole will disappear how much help the Warriors had in games 6 and 7 of the WCF and 1 of the Finals. But that's life.

8 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Basketball lends itself to dynasties because cores tend to stay together and you can generally win with two or three good guys.

I understand that. And that’s fine. 

I’m just saying don’t tell me it’s a wide open field and that this makes it “exciting.” I bought into that by having actual expectations for my Raptors :D 

The Warriors are different because they added a fourth good guy to a record-breaking core. And they were able to do that for two reasons: Curry's signed to an under-market deal due to timing of his ankle injury and because of the 2016 cap bump that worked out well only for Durant, Mozgov and Luol Deng.

Well I think you said it best when it happened. Durant nuked the balance of power in the West. A Thunder team that still had KD could at least be counted on to keep the Warriors in check.

Him going to the Warriors around the time that the Spurs’ decline started really set the stage for the team to dominate the conference for years to come. 

I don't know who exactly is praising NBA by trashing NHL, but you're right that the Capital's win was more exciting than the Warriors'. And eventually, the memory hole will disappear how much help the Warriors had in games 6 and 7 of the WCF and 1 of the Finals. But that's life.

It’s just a general attitude I see among NBA fans. 

Seasonal overlap and an identical post-season format (well sort of, the NHL’s standings systems is :censored: ed) invites comparisons. And in the US? The NBA is definitely the more visible and high profile of the two. 

12 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

NBA in comparison to other sports the NBA supporters always trash the NHL

When was this ever a thing?  It has been mostly NHL fans here trashing the NBA when they aren't busy trashing the NHL themselves.

Just now, Kaz said:

When was this ever a thing?  It has been mostly NHL fans here trashing the NBA when they aren't busy trashing the NHL themselves.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but any animosity I feel towards the NBA is in “self-defence” of the NHL. 

“The NBA is so fresh and exciting! Look at that ASG format!”

”Actually the NHL invented that years ago.”

”Well who watches the NHL, really?” 

^actual conversation I’ve had with people, both here and out in the world.

Also as an aside: 

I merged @SabresRule7361‘s thread about the NBA into this one. No need to have the same conversation going on in two different places. 

There's been a huge movement among blue-checkmark Hockey Twitter people to distinguish themselves as The Good Ones to the far more prominent and influential NBA Twitter by trashing the NHL and its fans and tripping over themselves to praise the NBA. I get trashing the NHL, there's a thread here for proof, but god, what a bunch of little subs! How pathetic!

I never have these weird interactions you people are talking about. Maybe I just do a better job of avoiding annoying internet people. 

Yeah, I read NBA Reddit instead of NBA Twitter, and they hate KD on Reddit so it's fine for me.

41 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Good Ones to the far more prominent and influential NBA Twitter by trashing the NHL and its fans and tripping over themselves to praise the NBA.

NBA Twitter is just guys tearing down players by calling them very original and funny names such as "LeRoid/LeBum/LeBrick", "Durcant", "James Har_en" and "Rustled Westshook" while spamming reaction gifs.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The NHL has more parity than the NBA. 

Now you’re absolutely right about basketball having a bad habit of tearing down its heroes (it shares that with hockey to be honest), but why is it that when people discuss the NBA in comparison to other sports the NBA supporters always trash the NHL? 

I mean I said it in the NBA regular season thread around the All-Star Game. When everyone was blowing the NBA for being so “fresh and exciting” for an ASG format the NHL had pioneered and moved on from already; what’s so exciting about 29 teams fighting to see who gets to lose in five to the Warriors? 

Turns out they didn’t need five. 

Now look. I’m not an anti-Warriors hater. I feel kind of...I guess positively neutral about them? They were a team that sucked for most of my formative years as a sports fan, and so I still feel a tinge of positively seeing them win now. I guess they’re basketball’s version of the Blackhawks for me. I don’t mind them, and I’m even kind of happy for them. 

It’s just that everyone was pumping up the NBA’s tires this season, going on about how exciting it was, and how wide open it was. Only for the same Finals to happen for the fourth time in a row and for it to end in a sweep at that. 

And it’s like...don’t tell me the NBA is good (and better than the NHL because boo hockey) because it’s wide open and exciting only to switch to the NBA being good (and better than the NHL because boo hockey) because dynasties are healthy. It’s one or the other. It can’t be both. 

Yeah I mistyped that part. I meant if you like parity so much, go watch the NHL, because the levels of parity are the polar opposite of the NBA. But again, that’s he nature of the league. 

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

is why Wilt isn't usually included in GOAT discussions.

I think it's more that there wasn't as much TV coverage (his 100 point game wasn't even broadcast) and not as much cross promotion (i.e. he wasn't on McDonald's cups like Jordan was, didn't have his own shoe line, etc.)

It could also be that people don't consider centers "basketball players", which I get, because they don't display the same well-rounded skillset that smaller more athletic players might have.  I don't think that should be held against them, especially Wilt, who as mentioned, could only be stopped by rules changes.  They literally changed the design of the court and instituted new rules because of how dominant he was.  

2 hours ago, who do you think said:

but not even close to the best player.

I mean... this is just dumb.  I don't think I've read any legitimate publication that has him lower than 3, and honestly it's only been in the '00s (likely due to people aging and fewer and fewer people having seen him live) that he wasn't in the 1-2 discussion.  In the '90s, the debate was Jordan v Wilt.  

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

There's a certain type of NBA fan that is the equivalent of soccer fans using this exact argument. There's this weird pretentious thing where the sport is "so beautiful and pure," and that "anyone can win any game." Yet, whenever the fact that the same three teams win the championship every damn year is brought up, it's "Well, yeah. They're the best team! They're SUPPOSED to win the championship," which is usually followed by insulting the other sport (almost always football in the soccer context). 

I'm a basketball fan, and I like watching, but "NBA people" are so damn frustrating to deal with.

44 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

There's a certain type of NBA fan that is the equivalent of soccer fans using this exact argument. There's this weird pretentious thing where the sport is "so beautiful and pure," and that "anyone can win any game." Yet, whenever the fact that the same three teams win the championship every damn year is brought up, it's "Well, yeah. They're the best team! They're SUPPOSED to win the championship," which is usually followed by insulting the other sport (almost always football in the soccer context). 

I'm a basketball fan, and I like watching, but "NBA people" are so damn frustrating to deal with.

I don’t think insufferable nonsense is unique to any one sport fan base. Evidenced partially by the NHL radicals in this thread.

Next thing you know fans will compare who had a better parade on Tuesday: Caps or Warriors. Oh wait, they will. Idiots. 

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Evidenced partially by the NHL radicals in this thread.

:D