Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil Stripped-Down Uniforms

JagAaron33

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, elliott said:

Agree. The last set was firmly one of the bottom-3 looks in the league. Now (by my estimation) they are about 23rd best in the league ha, the Jags now look better than the primary looks for the Bengals, Browns, Rams, Bucs, Titans, Jets, and the teams still using piping (Cardinals, Falcons,Patriots). Still a huge upgrade. Sometimes less is more

They do need a simple vertical one color pants stripe. the plainness of the jerseys themselves doesn't bother me too much, after all, uniforms that people seem to like (Colts, Giants, new Dolphins, Raiders, Texans) all have little to no striping on the jerseys. But, all of those looks are "grounded" by sort of pants stripe to balance out the minimalism of the jersey tops, and add some sort of motif. What is the Jags new motif? just that simple angled stripe that you can barely see on the cuffs and the bottom of the pants? It's not much.

However, I think people who don't like these are quickly forgetting just how bad the Jags old unis were! the trapezoid box stripe on the pants, the overdesigned numbers, and the gradient were all-time bad.

I quite like the angled stripe on the socks. It's unique and subtle and a nice change of pace because so many teams just use one-color socks.

I agree with this on the whole.  I think what bothers me the most is that they were a Teal, Gold and Black team... and now they are just a black and white team, with a mainly gold logo, and very small accents of teal.  I think all of their choices are not terrible, but the combination of all of them is what's so wrong, and what could have been.

Logo colors not represented in the uniform?  Not a deal breaker, not absurd (see Chicago Blackhawks)

Single color numbers?  Not a deal breaker, could be a good choice (see Minnesota Vikings)

Minimal-to-none sleeve stripes?  Not a deal breaker, not ideal, but can work (see NY Giants / Raiders)

No pants stripes?  Not a deal breaker, but not a good choice as I've never liked the look (see Ravens blacks, Saints blacks, Browns old brown, Penn State)

But all of these choices together, AND going predominately black and white as the main look home and away?  Really bad.  Not sew my eyes shut bad as they've been, but not visually interesting or stimulating, not the right color balance, but they do look like a football team now (a 1900's college football team), as opposed to costumed knights in a Disney movie.  

As the concept floating around shows, single color numbers can work just fine, with sleeve stripes and more engaging collar and pants stripe.  Likewise, no sleeve stripes can work, with outlined numbers. 

4 hours ago, bowld said:

Anyone find images of them pairing the black or white jersey with teal pants?

Looks great to me. The teal pants would compliment the black jerseys very well and would add the needed color to make it work. I'm hoping this will be their primary look. 

3veHwbH.jpg

I'm a little surprised at the board's reaction, but it's all good. I am just happy to have a clean uniform again. It's been 10 years since I've liked the way the Jags have looked. It's been a dark decade for me. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Another vibrant color uniquely associated with an AFC South team falls victim to a Nike rebrand. Columbia blue for the Titans, now teal for the Jags. Less so for the Jags, but still.

They're passable, less cluttered or tacky than the Titans new look, and the solid black helmet was an obvious and excellent decision. Other than that? They're boring. Did we need a black home primary? No number outline at least?

ICXC NIKA

Pros

- No helmet gradients... easily expected, and easily an improvement.

- No shoulder caps; I HATED those.

Cons

- Not only is there still not enough teal, but now gold has completely vanished. Talk about lifeless color balance.

- No stripes? Or any variation of them? Sad.

Very underwhelming, but I guess it's better that way. Having an overly designed cluster:censored: of a uniform is never passable so I give them props for not doing that. But damn, what a missed opportunity for something notable.

20 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

Looks great to me. The teal pants would compliment the black jerseys very well and would add the needed color to make it work. I'm hoping this will be their primary look. 

3veHwbH.jpg

I'm a little surprised at the board's reaction, but it's all good. I am just happy to have a clean uniform again. It's been 10 years since I've liked the way the Jags have looked. It's been a dark decade for me. 

I think a lot of people might change their mind once this combo hits the field. They should always wear these pants.

31 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Paul Lukas gave these a B-.

Yea.....no.

You claim to hate him, yet you read him.  Not sure I understand the logic there.

I'd give these a C--.  They lose points for (in no particular order):

a. No number outline.  I'm usually pro solid-color, but in this case the rest of the uniform is so plain that this is screaming for some extra flair.  Also it'd solve the issue of no teal on the two primary jerseys.

b. No pants striping.  Again, just too plain, collegite looking, and give us the legging effect with the black pants.

c.  Poor combos.  The mono combos are all bad, for various reasons.  Mostly because the black/black and white/white don't have any teal, which is their PRIMARY GODSDAM COLOR.  White over Teal would look great, and black over... well, there's no good option here.  I guess teal, but would have to see it in person.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This board baffles me. 

This set is only a few strands of unnecessary piping away from being previous Jaguars uniforms that, unless I'm recalling it differently, were universally loathed.  

3467197010_e0e1c90554_o.png

Those looked solid. That’s not what they looked like on the field after about halfway through the first season when Reebok started experimenting with the stretch jerseys and pants. There were about four or five different variations of the stripes on the field at once. That’s when the set looked terrible. 

Well it’s better to have not enough going on than too much like the last set. I don’t hate them. They seem like an evolution of the 09 set if the 13-17 one never existed.

My only 2 major complaints are the lack of teal on the white jersey and the fact their are no stripes on the pants. Could use at least a gold outline on the numbers too.

I also expect them to wear their worst combos most often (aka all black) when black over teal and black over white both will look great. They’re also gonna have the same yoga pants problem that BAL and NO have.

I’m here to eat crow for giving the public the incorrect leak. Sorry everyone. From my understanding now, it was one of a final few variations that were considered before deciding on the final ones. But nonetheless, incorrect info. My apologies for misleading everyone.

48 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Pros

- No helmet gradients... easily expected, and easily an improvement.

- No shoulder caps; I HATED those.

Cons

- Not only is there still not enough teal, but now gold has completely vanished. Talk about lifeless color balance.

- No stripes? Or any variation of them? Sad.

Very underwhelming, but I guess it's better that way. Having an overly designed cluster:censored: of a uniform is never passable so I give them props for not doing that. But damn, what a missed opportunity for something notable.

They still have shoulder caps (or cap-sleeves, as they're officially known).. They're just not contrast-colored anymore

I like them. Sticking with what they went, I still think the collar stripes and the sleeve stripes should have been teal on the white jersey. The black jersey and teal pants looks like the best combo. I wouldn’t ever wear the white pants.

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

Helmet-- big improvement, no complaints.

Jerseys-- Pretty basic, could use some gold, but no big issue. 

Pants-- Did Nike not even try? What the heck?  How hard is it to add some color? a stripe?  something?

Overall-- Looks like a high school or community college with no budget, not a franchise in the multi-billion dollar NFL.  An improvement only because the former uniforms were a disaster, but nothing NIKE should be proud of. 

So, Nike does the Titans and they’re the devil.  Nike does these bland Jags unis and they’re the devil.  Yet in both cases either the owner or the team president made the decisions and directed the design.  

The Nike hate here is so ridiculously misguided.  

Archived