Uniform/jersey misunderstandings

smzimbabwe

7 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

in 2007 me and some buddies went to Philly and Shea Stadium to see Mike Bacsik and the rest of the mighty Nats.

In NYC a dude either asking for money or plugging a comedy club (i can't remember which) asked if the curly-w was for Wisconsin.  His next guess was West Virginia.  We then explained it was the Nats and I don't think he knew who they were.

Well, thats what being irrelevant as a baseball franchise will do to ya. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My old high school uses Kansas States Wildcat logo. Very easy mistake to make if you aren't from or living in the area the high school is in. I have to imagine that stuff happens all the time with all the knockoff logos.

People always used to look at my Falcons stuff and think I'm either a Ravens or Cards fan. I have a Tennessee "Power T" shirt, and everyone asks if it's Texas. My highschool's logo is a lion, and a lot of people mistake it for Detroit. They look nothing alike. See here https://www.google.com/search?q=phillips+exeter+logo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQmO65t-PaAhXPqlkKHYrQCI0Q_AUICigB&biw=1418&bih=730

I live in SC.  Once a week,  I wear an orange polo to work, mainly to go with one of my several Broncos hats.  I can't tell you how many times something has been said to me about liking Clemson. (I don't) 

As an aside,  nobody has ever accused Gamecock fans of being smart.  So,  there's that.  

Another time,  I was wearing a navy blue Broncos hat and one of our clients came in and thought I was a Cowboys fan.  Not sure where that thought came from. Go figure. 

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I’m a big St Louis Cardinals fan and I can’t bring myself to wear anything other than Cardinals gear. I kind of feel like I am supporting another team, plus I’m not big on “fashion jerseys”. The exception for me is BFBS baseball caps (Reds, Mets, A’s, Royals, ect)

I play for the local high school baseball team and some of the older guys decided to have a “watch party” during Game 7 of the Yankees-Astros series. I decided to go up there in the Mets black and blue cap for whatever reason. People could not tell the difference between the two until the game came on and they could see for themselves!

I will also wear a Cardinals shirt to school every so often. This particular shirt just has the Cardinals woodmark script. People mistake that for the Arizona Cardinals ALL THE TIME. Houston is okay, but when it comes to anything baseball related, my hometown of StL is MUCH better. 

I was once wearing the navy St Louis Cardinals cap and someone asked me if the cap was of Grand Theft Auto... I was like what? He said "The video game, GTA" I was like WHAT?

To this day I don't know what happened in that moment. I still occasionally wake up in a cold sweat over it. 

On 4/28/2018 at 11:04 PM, smzimbabwe said:

I have had 2 incidents that I can think of over the years:

1. A lady asked me where I got my Oregon Ducks hat with the different, yet cool logo. I told her it was a UAA Seawolves hat, but she kept insisting it was the Ducks and she couldn't understand why I wouldn't confirm that. I told her I bought it in Anchorage, showed her that it said "Seawolves" on the back, yet, she still insisted that it was an Oregon Ducks hat and still was mad as I left that I wouldn't tell her where she could get one. (Apparently Anchorage was not the answer she wanted, we were in Portland, surely some place closer had that Ducks hat.)

2. I was wearing an All Blacks rugby jersey, someone got mad at me and said that a) all lives matter, not just blacks and B) I was (and still am) white, what's my angle for supporting and speaking for all blacks? I tried to explain that "All Blacks" was the name of the New Zealand rugby team and that's what it referenced, but he said that was an excuse and where did I come off thinking I spoke for all blacks?

3. My purple UW jersey has been mistaken for a Minnesota Vikings jersey multiple times. I will be in the grocery store, someone will say "Hey, a Vikiings fan" and I'll politely explain to them that it's the Huskies, and I really don't care one way or the other about the Vikings.

Has anyone else suffered through incidents like this? Where people seriously misunderstood your gear like this. They thought it was one team, or something completely unrelated to sports, when it was something completely different? 

Seawolves looks nothing like the Ducks. And I live in Eugene. 

That lady must also think all Packers, Athletics, Supersonics and Eskimos logos are Ducks gear, then. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I have a cap with the seal from the City of Buffalo flag on it.  Just this morning (in Buffalo, mind you) someone came up and asked me why I was wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs hat.  Sure, the colors are the same, but I don't really get how you could make that mistake.

aGwB069.png

Here’s one that helped me out.

When I was a kid, I was wearing the Brewers BiG hat and a neighborhood kid who didn’t follow baseball took it off me head and said “it looks like a B and am M.”

Me:? 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just had another one happen at work... I have an Eagles mini Riddell helmet on my desk at work. My boss's boss was just over here a minute ago and she said "that's a cute little hockey helmet you have there". 

On 4/30/2018 at 12:01 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

in 2007 me and some buddies went to Philly and Shea Stadium to see Mike Bacsik and the rest of the mighty Nats.

In NYC a dude either asking for money or plugging a comedy club (i can't remember which) asked if the curly-w was for Wisconsin.  His next guess was West Virginia.  We then explained it was the Nats and I don't think he knew who they were.

On a similar note, I was wearing the curly-W hat and someone start talking about how much they love Seattle and whether I'm a Seahawks fan as well. It took me a bit, I finally figured they thought the Washington Nationals were in Washington State. After correcting them, they argued the point that they should be called the DC Nationals to avoid confusion.

Whatever.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I think what's annoying to me -- but, I totally get it -- is when people strike up a conversation about the MLB team hat I'm wearing, especially if they're a fan. I'm a dedicated Giants fan, but I have a collection of big league hats for cities I've visited (just something I do). 

You can't blame them, but I've learned to kinda BS through situations like that by at least remembering a few current players and using VERY general terms to get through awkward 10-15 second conversation. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Pulled the trigger on a Kirk Cousins jersey the day after he signed, and wore it the day after it came. 

Had at least 10 people around campus call me out on my "Sam Bradford" jersey while shaking their heads. 

usatsi_9674135-copy.jpg?w=1000&h=600&cro

18 hours ago, tjs11 said:

My old high school uses Kansas States Wildcat logo. Very easy mistake to make if you aren't from or living in the area the high school is in. I have to imagine that stuff happens all the time with all the knockoff logos.

This reminds me, a friend of mine dated a girl who thought that Hawaii ripped off a local high school's logo, rather than the other way around. 

39 minutes ago, kimball said:

On a similar note, I was wearing the curly-W hat and someone start talking about how much they love Seattle and whether I'm a Seahawks fan as well. It took me a bit, I finally figured they thought the Washington Nationals were in Washington State. After correcting them, they argued the point that they should be called the DC Nationals to avoid confusion.

Whatever.

I've wanted teams to go with DC since the day I learned of the existence of DC United. I don't find it confusing like I did when I was like 6 years old, I just like the sound of it. 

54 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

This reminds me, a friend of mine dated a girl who thought that Hawaii ripped off a local high school's logo, rather than the other way around. 

I've wanted teams to go with DC since the day I learned of the existence of DC United. I don't find it confusing like I did when I was like 6 years old, I just like the sound of it. 

Yeah, the Nats had that cool DC logo, but the feel like they HAVE to wear the curly W. I prefer DC, much more identifiable.

19 hours ago, tjs11 said:

From what I've seen, that is a frequently copied logo. Not without reason either - it's a very good one.

Archived