TJSC

Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

Recommended Posts

The Lakers have worn a ton of alternates over the past several years, including Hollywood Nights, the Mamba set, and a ton of throwbacks. I don't mind the purple pinstripe as an idea, though I do mind it when the standard purple road set has a dumbass black stripe on the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Hot take: about those "OKC Hornets uniforms, did anyone else think it was really insulting that they took New Orleans off the uniform that year?  The team was still the New Orleans Hornets.  OKC merely sheltered them for a bit while they went through some tough times.  That'd be like crashing at your friends house in high school while your family is going through some traumatic time, and then the friend's family makes you take up their last name while you're there.

 

That's part of what irks me about OKC Thunder.. . They just seemed like Artie Ziff handsy trying to get an eventual team.  There you go it worked, you got one.  Now leave us all alone.

 

(sorry to go off topic)

They never took "New Orleans" of the uniform for the year.  At home they wore the white "Hornets" with an OKC patch, and on the road they continued to wear "New Orleans"

Image result for New Orleans Hornets in OKC Related image

 

The Oklahoma City uniforms, both the red Valentine's day one, and the white variant (which was worn in their final home game in Oklahoma city) were done as a way to "Thank" their temporary home and the fans who supported the team there after the events of Katrina.  You can see that the OKC patch was then swapped for a NOLA patch

 

Image result for New Orleans Hornets in OKC

 

As a note, those Red jerseys were auctioned off and raised $22,000 for the American Heart Association and Hornets Charities

https://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/newsrelease_auction_2mar2007.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

That format looks far better than what the Thunder use for either Association or Icon jerseys.

 

Without completely derailing this thread, I agree. I can't stand the layout of the Thunder's road icon jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 4:02 AM, Gothamite said:

 

I’m not sure why that should be.  

 

In fact, lifting the “home and road” designation ought to give the Lakers more leeway to wear their classic gold uniform. 

 

They shoukd adopt the soccer model, and wear their primary uniform for every match unless and until a clash with the home team forces them into an alternate. 

 

Now, maybe that’s not allowed under NBA rules.  But the Lakers should be pushing those rules right to the breaking point. 

 

They pretty much did wear the gold jerseys most of the time last year, didn't they?  Same thing with the Rockets with the red.  In soccer, a team plays 40 something games and usually once or twice a week.  Over a 82 game schedule, wearing the same jersey most of the time is going to get boring.  I believe even the players (at least 1 guy) were getting bored of always wearing the gold jersey at the start of the season.  

 

I think the NBA should go back with home and away designation.  I don't mind colour vs colour games, but I think teams should wear their home/away roughly the same number of games, with their alternates sprinkled in here and there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Hot take: about those "OKC Hornets uniforms, did anyone else think it was really insulting that they took New Orleans off the uniform that year?  The team was still the New Orleans Hornets.  OKC merely sheltered them for a bit while they went through some tough times.  That'd be like crashing at your friends house in high school while your family is going through some traumatic time, and then the friend's family makes you take up their last name while you're there.

 

That's part of what irks me about OKC Thunder.. . They just seemed like Artie Ziff handsy trying to get an eventual team.  There you go it worked, you got one.  Now leave us all alone.

 

(sorry to go off topic)

 

They didn't take New Orleans off the road uniforms. They only had Oklahoma City on a pair of one-offs: the Valentine's Day jersey, and a Fan Apprecation Night jersey for the last game in OKC. The rest of the time, the homes said Hornets. 

 

The team should have stayed in Oklahoma City permanently and the Supersonics never should have moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they invert the colors so that black replaces purple and vice versa, while getting rid of the pinstripes, then I think they’d have a template to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

For some reasons this jersey screaming 90's to me.

 

Exactly, which you'd think for a jersey honoring Magic it should be more 80's-ish, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"These adidas sleeves are ridiculous - I wish Nike would take over"

"OMG Nike ruined everything.  I wish adidas was back"

"Jesus these adidas designs are the worst - I wish Nike would take over"

"Transparent side panels?  AYFKM?  I wish adidas was back"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

Yep just as awful as I thought it'd be. I can't believe I actully want Adidas back. 

The classic Los Angeles mashed together with the modern Lakers is... not a good look. 

 

Still  excited to hear how Nike will justify black on a Magic Johnson tribute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 1:48 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

The Lakers City jersey looks like it will be awful, but we shall see.

Also, UP time: I don't think the Lakers using Black is a bad thing. It's how they are using it.... the random black stripe on the purple jersey is so out of place. Yet if this city jersey was like this fashion jersey Kobe wore for Slam.... 

kobetrophies.jpg

Now this would be cool IMO. It's BFBS, but it also looks nice. 

Also, EDIT for another UP: That Red Hornets jersey is actually pretty IMO. 

 

The thing with that black jersey is it’s just black + Laker colors on the 1962 version. The City version last year, was just the Showtime/current unis they have, just with designed snakeskin. All that’s cool and what not, but they could come up with many more designs and sets, without black. Black + purple + gold is a weird blend of colors if not used correctly, and idk if they can top that Hollywood Nights scheme. (Miami Vice anyone)

 

What I would love to see go down for next season and maybe years to come, is this

 

1. Give us the purple set we deserve, and please with white numbers. 

 

2. 1962 version for our throwback, with a matching retro court. Staples Center would be rocking for a retro type of feel. (Idk?)

 

 

AND I WOULD BE HAPPY. No gimmicks lol, plain and simple, and everybody would eat it up. We can talk to Jeanie Buss and tell her we need that Laker gold back, and we’ll be well on our way to #17, #18, #19, #20 :)

 

And then Nike can finally design one of these gimmicky jerseys they got for a trend. Make a newer version of the Hollywood Nights uniform, and for the jersey that can celebrate the legend, do either Jerry West or Elgin Baylor. 

 

 

P.S. I have no idea how these jerseys are Magic Johnson inspired. Unless he helped design them, I don’t get it. I was thinking they’d have some type of star effect inside of them like the early 2000 Magic uniforms but pinstripes? I no know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

"These adidas sleeves are ridiculous - I wish Nike would take over"

"OMG Nike ruined everything.  I wish adidas was back"

"Jesus these adidas designs are the worst - I wish Nike would take over"

"Transparent side panels?  AYFKM?  I wish adidas was back"

Adidas made plenty of ugly alternates in the last years and the sleeves were too much of a stretch to work, but for the most part the home and road uniforms were avoided all the silliness. With Nike we don’t even have home and roads instead of the Association Icon  Statement Earned City crap, resulting in the Lakers not being able to wear their purple uniforms for a quarter of the season and Nike is the one which pushed complete armhole  trim, uninterrupted waistband striping and centered shorts notches out the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a fun photo essay would be LeBron James in every jersey he ever wore, especially the ugly alternates foisted on him because of who he is. It's less an issue now than it was his first go-round in Cleveland, but man has he been in some clunkers.

 

Jordan wore a couple of Bulls uniforms, the black alt, and the home/road Wizards and Bullets throwback. Larry Bird was just in green or white, right? The legends got to maintain some dignity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

I think a fun photo essay would be LeBron James in every jersey he ever wore, especially the ugly alternates foisted on him because of who he is. It's less an issue now than it was his first go-round in Cleveland, but man has he been in some clunkers.

 

Jordan wore a couple of Bulls uniforms, the black alt, and the home/road Wizards and Bullets throwback. Larry Bird was just in green or white, right? The legends got to maintain some dignity.

 

I think at some point I went through all his Cavs ones. You've got:

 

03 white

03 wine

70s candy cane throwbacks

80s orange throwbacks

mid-aughts navy (the best thing the Cavs have ever worn and it was during an era where navy made sense)

70s feather throwback

Royal blue fauxback

80s/90s blue throwback

Wine & gold fauxback

2014 navy

2010 white

2010 wine

2010 gold

Slightly different wine & gold fauxback

2016 black

2017 white

2017 wine

2017 black

2017 gray

And at least 3 different XMas game jerseys

 

That's 22 jerseys with one team. Might be missing one. There was a slightly different navy alt the Cavs had during his absence too.

 

Plus the Heat had home, road, alt, white-out, throwbacks, XMas games... You can throw in LeBron's Team USA and All-Star jerseys and now the damn Lakers losing their :censored:ing mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

 

I think at some point I went through all his Cavs ones. You've got:

 

03 white

03 wine

70s candy cane throwbacks

80s orange throwbacks

mid-aughts navy (the best thing the Cavs have ever worn and it was during an era where navy made sense)

70s feather throwback

Royal blue fauxback

80s/90s blue throwback

Wine & gold fauxback

2014 navy

2010 white

2010 wine

2010 gold

Slightly different wine & gold fauxback

2016 black

2017 white

2017 wine

2017 black

2017 gray

And at least 3 different XMas game jerseys

 

That's 22 jerseys with one team. Might be missing one. There was a slightly different navy alt the Cavs had during his absence too.

 

Plus the Heat had home, road, alt, white-out, throwbacks, XMas games... You can throw in LeBron's Team USA and All-Star jerseys and now the damn Lakers losing their :censored:ing mind.

 

You know what's funny? He never wore the dreaded 90's uniforms or colors in any capacity. He came to the team and they switched to wine and gold and then once he left for Miami they wore the 90's colors in a Cavfanatic uniform.

 

2011-cavfanatic.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

Yep just as awful as I thought it'd be. I can't believe I actully want Adidas back. 

 

Looks like a damn fashion jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now