Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

It's nice to see the long history of knockoff Lakers gear being honored with this set.

Also, is this the first Lakers uniform since the Elgin Baylor days to have the city name on the jersey? They've reinstated it with such class.

Couldn't agree more...this has local swap meet written al over it. What a POS.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Because at least Adidas had the good sense to not ruin the base uniforms of classic teams.

But, did they? Who put sleeves on jerseys? Classic jerseys?

13.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

37 minutes ago, sonny said:

Seems to me that the “Magic Johnson” inspiration for this uniform was his show The Magic Hour. And by that, I mean the goal must’ve been to make it very terrible. 

I'm thinking that they're honoring Magic's post-playing career success as a businessman. He probably wears pinstripe suits in that context. So.

(only half joking)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Magical New LA Lakers City Uniform Leaked

October 12, 2018 - 16:15 PM

According to a series of leaked photos posted to Twitter, the Los Angeles Lakers will be wearing a purple uniform with black trim, numbers, and the full team name across the front of the chest for the yet-to-be-released “City Edition” […]

Read More...

It seems like an overwhelming majority of people on this site insist on all 30 teams having just two uniforms - one light (strictly referred to as the "home" uniform and worn for all 41 home games), one dark (strictly referred to as the "away" uniform and worn for all 41 away games) - with designs created multiple decades ago that will never be changed. Obviously this is a bit hyperbole, but for the most progressive professional sports league on the planet it baffles me how seemingly regressive and closed-minded so many people on this site can be. I'm not suggesting all new design is good design; however, certainly not all change can be this bad.

For example, I understand the uproar over the Lakers' new purple Statement Edition uniform -- the black side panels are unprecedented, without reason, and inconsistent with the white Association Edition and yellow Icon Edition uniforms. 

But I don't quite get the backlash over a Magic Johnson "Lore Series" City Edition uniform. What is a Magic Johnson tribute uniform *supposed* to look like? Should it just be a carbon copy of an exact uniform he wore? I personally don't think so -- that's what Classic Edition uniforms are for, after all.

Anyways, all that said, I think these will look surprisingly sharp once we see them in action.

41 minutes ago, kimball said:

But, did they? Who put sleeves on jerseys? Classic jerseys?

13.jpg

Those are alternates. Adidas generally left the home/away jerseys intact.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just now, Hoopladawg87 said:

For example, I understand the uproar over the Lakers' new purple Statement Edition uniform -- the black side panels are unprecedented, without reason, and inconsistent with the white Association Edition and yellow Icon Edition uniforms. 

But I don't quite get the backlash over a Magic Johnson "Lore Series" City Edition uniform. What is a Magic Johnson tribute uniform *supposed* to look like? Should it just be a carbon copy of an exact uniform he wore? I personally don't think so -- that's what Classic Edition uniforms are for, after all

That's my exact take. If Nike hadn't ruined the traditional purple road set, the Magic jerseys wouldn't be so bad in comparison. But now the Lakers have two purple sets and neither are what the people want. NFNS.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

"These adidas sleeves are ridiculous - I wish Nike would take over"

"OMG Nike ruined everything.  I wish adidas was back"

"Jesus these adidas designs are the worst - I wish Nike would take over"

"Transparent side panels?  AYFKM?  I wish adidas was back"

Nailed it.

Putting aside the, uh, merits, of this particular design, I do very much like that the Lakers seem to be taking the city edition gimmick and turning it into their own new tradition to honor past greats. I'm curious to see how they keep it going and represent guys like Kareem, Shaq, Jerry West, etc. visually in the future. And I'd like to see how other teams can use their city editions as more than just a cash grab, to do something unique to spotlight local or team history for a season.

Looks better than their normal purple unis, but i'm not completely sold. I prefer last season's City uni to this one for the Lake Show. I would have to like to have seen purple and black reversed in this new uni, though I guess maybe it'd be too close to last season's look and wouldn't sell as well.

2 minutes ago, Teal said:

25tzx1y.jpg

It's really not bad as an alternate. Plus it seems to make LeBron James 40 feet tall, which is a definite competitive advantage.

1 hour ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

It seems like an overwhelming majority of people on this site insist on all 30 teams having just two uniforms - one light (strictly referred to as the "home" uniform and worn for all 41 home games), one dark (strictly referred to as the "away" uniform and worn for all 41 away games) - with designs created multiple decades ago that will never be changed. Obviously this is a bit hyperbole, but for the most progressive professional sports league on the planet it baffles me how seemingly regressive and closed-minded so many people on this site can be. I'm not suggesting all new design is good design; however, certainly not all change can be this bad.

But I don't quite get the backlash over a Magic Johnson "Lore Series" City Edition uniform. What is a Magic Johnson tribute uniform *supposed* to look like? Should it just be a carbon copy of an exact uniform he wore? I personally don't think so -- that's what Classic Edition uniforms are for, after all.

Anyways, all that said, I think these will look surprisingly sharp once we see them in action.

Try ? to ? appreciate ? new ? things ?

I agree with this post as someone who hates how the Lakers uniform works. Hate the player not the game. This uniform is bad. A bad uniform doesn't condemn the entire operation. A ton of Nike's out there designs have been good. It's this one that's bad.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

3 hours ago, Waffles said:

Putting aside the, uh, merits, of this particular design, I do very much like that the Lakers seem to be taking the city edition gimmick and turning it into their own new tradition to honor past greats. I'm curious to see how they keep it going and represent guys like Kareem, Shaq, Jerry West, etc. visually in the future. And I'd like to see how other teams can use their city editions as more than just a cash grab, to do something unique to spotlight local or team history for a season.

I wonder if they will try to make a uniform that gonna represent their times in Minneapolis, I mean Mikan, Mikkelsen, Pollard, Coach Kundla, etc.

4r2eer.png

4 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I have to disagree, I don’t think its progressive to just let any design go by without judgement, although it’s not the worst, a design like this shouldn’t be passed off like it’s untouchable because it’s different

Do i like the black? It’s not the worst but it’s still bad  Do i like the pinstripes? It’s not the worst, but it’s still bad.

If it was unveiled back when’s magic plaed it would still be bad, i understand you’re point, but this isn’t more of us being close minded and more the creators and designers made a mistake and this shouldn’t be something worn on the court in 2018.

Atleast in my opinion that is, were all entiled to our own.

Now for my personal analysis WHAT is the worst is the full name, and the way they’ve put it, and the lack of gold, they could’ve atleast put gold in the sleeve stripes or something, the pinstripes are made of words you can’t see from ten feet away let alone a stadium rendering it useless and dumb, finally, bfbs sucks, and this jersey shouldn’t include this much black.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Personally, yes, I'd love it if every team landed on a timeless jersey set and didn't need to constantly re-brand every few years, in every league. Even in that ideal world you could still wear throwbacks and create fun new alternates. Most teams don't care about doing anything more than making a statement for the current era I suppose, but I wish every team was at least trying to make a look that could last.

Anyway, that Magic-Lakers jersey is pretty trash. Pinstripes usually suck IMO, and adding them to a team that has no history/need for them seems dumb. But it's an alternate, so not THAT much of a travesty. I don't like doubling up on a color with uniforms tho.

Archived