Sign in to follow this  
Gothamite

Angels tell Anaheim they're opting out of their lease on Angel Stadium

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, it was only a few years ago that I learned all these place names I had known -- Northridge, Sherman Oaks, Reseda, Van Nuys -- were actually just neighborhoods of Los Angeles rather than suburbs. The Valley is a strange phenomenon, geographically speaking. Maybe the people are strange, too.

Suburbs can technically exist within city limits, even though in the states we don't often think that way.  Just because some neighborhood is part of LA, if it's mostly residential and not too "urban" (here's where a gray area exists), then it's a suburb.  In other countries I've been, I've heard people refer to suburbs as any residential neighborhood that's not near one of the CBDs.  So like in Singapore, someone I met was like "yeah I need to leave early, I live out in the suburbs", but her "suburb" was a neighborhood of nothing but 30+story high rises with ground floor retail.  I get that USA isn't Singapore, but that's more common than our definition.  I know here, some people will look at you funny if you say you live in the city but you're in somewhere like Manayunk, which while in the city limits, and arguably urban, isn't the core of the city.  Ironically, that's the case despite the fact that Phila's city/county really doesn't sprawl that much at all (except in the trashy northeast.)

Hmm, I don't think I'd refer to a far-flung single-family-home neighborhood of Chicago like Beverly or Norwood Park as a suburb, even if they're suburban in nature. Chicago already has like 200 suburbs as it is.

On 10/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, colortv said:

That's why I find this Chargers stuff in the other thread so silly.

They have a market from the Mexican border in the south to basically Santa Barbara in the North, stretching 230 miles North to South with 20 million people. 

You would have to try to fail in order to do so.

And yet... Here we are.

---

But yeah, the whole of Southern California is a giant urban sprawl. Technically, it's all one thing.

But as others have pointed out, with the sheer amount of people and the geography, there are different areas that present different challenges of getting to one place or the next. And along those lines to address something in the quoted post, there isn't a market from the border to Santa Barbara. San Diego is significantly separated from LA culturally and with one big geographic barrier: Camp Pendleton. While there's plenty of mingling between Ventura/LA/Orange and even San Bernardino and Riverside counties, that doesn't happen between SD and OC. That 20-mile buffer zone does a heck of a job breaking up the humanity.

Anyways, honestly, the Chargers best bet was to take a page from the Angels/Ducks book and claim a part of the sprawl that claims its own identity and feed off that. But they're making the mistake that the Angels/Arte Moreno tried and might try again of taking on a bigger battle they have no shot at winning. They're both on a lower rung than the big brother team, and that's fine. Just accept it, embrace it, do your best with it. You can do pretty well with even a slice of SoCal.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:21 PM, colortv said:

You would have to try to fail in order to do so.

Hello. I see you’re new to Dean Spanos. 

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Anyways, honestly, the Chargers best bet was to take a page from the Angels/Ducks book and claim a part of the sprawl that claims its own identity and feed off that. But they're making the mistake that the Angels/Arte Moreno tried and might try again of taking on a bigger battle they have no shot at winning. They're both on a lower rung than the big brother team, and that's fine. Just accept it, embrace it, do your best with it. You can do pretty well with even a slice of SoCal.

If they want a model for how to market they should look Down Under.  Four AFL teams permanently play at the Melbourne Cricket Ground even though they represent different neighborhoods. You could market to OC/SD without actually having a stadium there.

2 hours ago, LMU said:

If they want a model for how to market they should look Down Under.

Taint Residue Chargers