2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trading Rask would be pretty stupid

Good argument. Dig a little deeper.

Prior to the deadline, Horton and Pevs were out indefinitely. Offense was struggling, team was struggling. Plus, you've got Thomas tied up next year for $3 million. Not a whole lot for a stud goaltender. Rask is a RFA, he'll command between $5-6 million, so in 2012-2013 you've got two number 1 goalies at a cap hit of $8 million+. Is that bad? Not necessarily, especially since the Bruins have most of their core tied up for the long haul. Still, is Thomas going to slow down? No. This guy lives to prove people wrong. People say he can't play in 2013-2014, he'll put up a 2.00 GAA. Guy is a machine. Rask is hit or miss, he looks lost out there some nights and can get it some serious funks - low rate Luongo, if you will. Rask was/is expendable. He's not that great, he's a product of Claude's system. If Chiarelli could've worked out a deal for a top line winger, why not entertain it? You won't see Rask in the playoffs, and if Thomas keeps up his play he'll be stuck at 30 games next year.

Tim Thomas is about to turn 38 next month, there's no way he's playing past 42, and he would be lucky to play until then. Sooner or later, his age will catch up to him, just like it has with Marty Brodeur.

A smart GM would not pick a late 30's guy over a mid 20's guy. If Chiarelli had to pick between the two, he would be dumb to pick Thomas. Thomas will be out of the league pretty soon, and Rask has just started his career. Rask has great numbers, and has played as the top dog before. He's a proven success. Let's say if he picked Thomas... after Thomas retires, and with no Rask, who does he have? The Bruins don't have any blue chip goalie prospects, and its not very easy to acquire a starting goaltender, and when you do, they don't always work out (Bryzgalov for example). Even if they did have a blue chip prospect, you can't expect him to make it, lbecause more often than not, they will bust. Rask has already proven that he can play elite hockey, and even if you say that he's a product of Julien's system, well, all goalies get some help from the team's system. Do you really think guys like Brodeur would have been as great without Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, Rafalski, and the trap system they played? Every goalie is a product of the system to some extent.

If anything, trade Thomas. His value would be pretty high, and you can probably trade him to a team like Tampa or San Jose, who would probably over pay for him.

Rask is younger, proven, and almost as good as Thomas. There's no way a competent GM would pick the 37 year old, and that's why Chiarelli didn't trade Rask.

Agree to disagree. I guess watching Rask night in and night out makes me kind of jaded. I've seen Thomas run the table in the playoffs and I've seen Rask crap the bed. I think comparing Brodeur and Rask is almost apples to oranges but I get what you're trying to say.

You could make the argument both ways, so I doubt we'll sway each others opinions. Sometimes you have to take risks when you're ready to win now, and trading Rask was a risk I was willing to take if it brought back a stud forward in return. Didn't happen though. Chiarelli doesn't gamble, and I can't really argue any of his decisions - except maybe Kaberle, but he wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. Still got the cup.

The thing for me is, we don't need Rask this year, or maybe even next. Sure, he's a nice insurance policy but he's dead weight until Thomas runs out of Geritol.

I'm assuming Cherry is just apoplectic the Leafs have given so many roster spots to soft Europeans and wimpy Americans rather than nice strapping Canadian boys.

I didn't know Grapes was Catholic.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Leafs win! But so to TB and Buffalo...

yep... Burke didn't build the Ducks championship team, bryan Murray did.

Well, he and Nonis pretty much built your Canucks, so...

Ah, so the Leafs fanbase is the Canadian equivalent of meatball Bears fans who demand the team be stocked with "tough, blue-collar, Chicago guys - like Mike Ditka!"

Or maybe that's just Don Cherry because he's a goddamn idiot.

Leafs fans also believe that every team in the league should offer their top young talent to them for Mike Komisarek.

No, I know of no Leafs fans who want the team to be filled with Toronto boys. And I also know of no Leafs fans who think Komisarek would fetch more than a 7th. You need to visit HF Boards a little less...

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Seven minutes into the game and the Bruins are already down by two. These injuries are killing this team.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Not NHL, but Bob McKenzie tweeted this:

Bizarre OHL game Erie @ Niagara. Erie starting G injured in 1st minute, no back-up, F Connor Crisp puts on pads. Yikes. 3-2 NIA, end of 1.

EDIT: It's now 7-3 for Niagara. Crisp has made 18 saves on 25 shots through two periods.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

It's a surprising margin since Boston is statistically the best team in the East, with New York right on their tails.

Given the head-to-heads this season, New York might be a slightly better team (equal goaltending, better D, worse O), but it's basically a pick 'em if they meet in a playoff series. A Boston/New York Conference Final would probably be best for the EC as a whole. Those two have established themselves as the class of the East, with Pittsburgh being the closest to them in terms of quality.

spacer.png

Bizarre OHL game Erie @ Niagara. Erie starting G injured in 1st minute, no back-up, F Connor Crisp puts on pads. Yikes. 3-2 NIA, end of 1.

EDIT: It's now 7-3 for Niagara. Crisp has made 18 saves on 25 shots through two periods.

Gotta give him credit. I think it would be closer to 20-3 if it was me.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Gotta give him credit. I think it would be closer to 20-3 if it was me.

FINAL SCORE: 13-4 Niagara. 32 saves on 45 shots.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Blackhawks get a gritty 2-1 win over Detroit. I'll take it! Well fought.

1st star - Blackhawks goalpost

2nd star - the god-awful Detroit color crew, for their valiant effort at dismissing everything the blackhawks did

3rd star - Smith's visor

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't get why people are saying the Leafs don't have a shot at the playoffs this year. They're 3 points out with 17 games left. By comparison, Calgary (who everyone says has a legit shot) is four points out.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This Panthers game sounds like a Senators home game. I don't know why I'm surprised. I mean, Montreal, Philadelphia, Boston, I get. Ottawa, though?

The Panthers are wearing their double-blue alternates. Maybe they figure they can make the playoffs with amazing home ice advantage if they dress up as the Jets.

EDIT: oh I forgot those thirds are even sponsored by JetBlue hahahaha

How about Kyle Turris? What a wonderful story that is. Another guy who flourished after escaping Phoenix.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The double-blue's were relegated to Sunday matinee (I mean, 6:00) status, probably just to hide them.

If it weren't for the awful logo, I'd say it's a good jersey, but it doesn't make sense for the Panthers. Ideally, the Sens do what they usually do to the Panthers and knock those frauds further away from a playoff spot.

spacer.png

Blackhawks get a gritty 2-1 win over Detroit. I'll take it! Well fought.

I'm happy about the Hawks winning. I feel ill.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived