2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got an update directly from the US kit man.

"@aawagner011: @jessebignami is there a blue short option with new kits? White shirt and red shorts would be an unusual US look if white shorts clashed."

"@jessebignami: @aawagner011 All I can say is that we have all options sorted. Stay tuned..."

Expect blue shorts. I am more curious to see how they address the mismatching crest styles with monochrome and full color versions on mix and match kits.

"@aawagner011: @jessebignami is there a blue short option with new kits? White shirt and red shorts would be an unusual US look if white shorts clashed."

"@jessebignami: @aawagner011 All I can say is that we have all options sorted. Stay tuned..."

Expect blue shorts. I am more curious to see how they address the mismatching crest styles with monochrome and full color versions on mix and match kits.

Not the exact same, but United have monochrome badges on their clash and 3rd shirts (which were last year's clash shirts) this season and have mixed them in with their regular (black and white) shorts which have a full color badge.

b66cde8b-1a33-4ca2-92af-8a977ef687e4-460

mut2-2056086.jpg

Here is the same shirt last year with the monochrome badge shorts it was designed to be worn with:

britain-soccer-fa-cup-20-390x285.jpg

Interestingly, United have also worn this years clash shirt (which normally pairs with navy shorts) with this years white shorts (which normally have a full-color badge as seen above) but with a mono-color badge:

Adnan+Januzaj+03.jpg

So, in summary, if there is a blue pair of shorts (I think there is) USMNT/Nike could have a full-color badge version to be worn with both the golf polo and bomb pop and/or they could have a version with a mono-color badge.

And don't get me started on mixing in last years socks and this years with this years shorts even though there is a white version of this years socks (shown in the last picture).

haha dude i was about to tweet him earlier and i look and you had already asked what i was going to.

I have to keep reminding myself I'm watching the US with these, wish it was a darker shade of Blue which might make it a bit better. Also, the top of the jersey should extend all the way around, the red running up the back just doesn't sit well imo.

Seeing them in action does a lot to make me like the design more.

That may have something to do with the current scoreline, of course.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Side note(Yes it's odd that I am starting a post with a side note but whatever...) Everybody that was complaining about the US away kits did you see how good it looked next to those hideous Mexico kits. Just sayin.

I went through and re-ranked my previous rankings of the uniforms and it didn't really change much other than a couple of significant rises for the the Portugal aways and the Holland aways. After doing this I determined based on my uniform rankings what the best and worst matchups in each group will likely be. Again my opinion but I think that this is fairly accurate. Disclaimer that some of the kits in the worst category I don't consider bad they are just part of the worst matchup because they happen to be. Here we go:

Group A Best: Brazil v Croatia(I think it's likely that Croatia plays in their home kits but this pic has both home and away)

Brazil+2014+World+Cup+Home+Kit+(3).jpgCroatia+2014+Home+and+Away+Kits.jpg

Group A Worst: Mexico v Cameroon

10237627735_00052fcb48_n.jpg13025364403_a9673b95c5_n.jpg13025203825_fd8931fc3d_m.jpg13025362363_eff46da139_m.jpg

I'm fine with the away kit pairing with the white shorts but I hate the home kit with red shorts. That is not what the US should look like. If the shorts have to be a color besides white, blue is the only option...royal or navy, take your pick...but not red.

I still think the white shirt needs thin red stripes similar to the 2008 kits. In fact they could have added blue trim similar to '08 as well:

259186-105_USA_home_jersey_08_zp.jpg

By the way, I'm planning on getting a jersey for this year's World Cup, and I want to get it customized. However, I'm having a hard time deciding who to put on it. I feel like if the USA performs poorly, it would be bad to get Donovan because he will likely not be around in 2018. Jozy Altidore went to high school near me, so I thought about getting him, but he's been playing poorly as of late which makes me wonder if he'll even make the World Cup roster. Julian Green is intriguing because of the whole USA/Germany thing considering we'll play them, but he's probably too young to get significant minutes even if he does make the final cut. Finally there's Dempsey (which everyone has), Bradley, and Wondolowski. I'm not excited about any of them.

Thoughts?

Your most important player is by far Michael Bradley.

Exactly. It isn't that they are wful (though they are); it's that the just don't look like the USMNT. Same as the 1990 aways that were all blue and white.

vermes.jpg

As you said, these didn't look very American either...

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

bradleylayun.jpg

Not sure why everyone here is hating on Mexico's kit.

The pic above sure seems taken from some superhero comics.

I think they fit for both teams. No irony here.

The one thing I don't like about the US set is that home and away have completely different styles and feels.

They are both nice looking jerseys. But one goes the elegant, sober way; the other goes the colourful, energy way.

I don't like this type of inconsistency.

Group C Best:Colombia v Greece(I realize that there is a lot of white happening here but this is the best pic I could find of the full blue away kit for Greece)

10830847983_d8a0479972_n.jpg12982327104_4d8825f100.jpg

Group C Worst: Ivory Coast v Japan(I realize that the ref might consider these clashing but I think there is enough contrast plus it is perhaps Japan's only chance to go with their hideous aways)(OK I realized after putting the pics next to each other that these probably contrast so Japan may not have to wear the single worse kit at the Cup)

Ivory+Coast+2014+World+Cup+Home+Kit.jpg12747730683_6926128c54_n.jpg12747600975_502b2df81a_m.jpg12747731223_2fd9eeaf6b_m.jpg10792301813_26459ac4dd_n.jpg

I'm fine with the away kit pairing with the white shorts but I hate the home kit with red shorts. That is not what the US should look like. If the shorts have to be a color besides white, blue is the only option...royal or navy, take your pick...but not red.

I still think the white shirt needs thin red stripes similar to the 2008 kits. In fact they could have added blue trim similar to '08 as well:

By the way, I'm planning on getting a jersey for this year's World Cup, and I want to get it customized. However, I'm having a hard time deciding who to put on it. I feel like if the USA performs poorly, it would be bad to get Donovan because he will likely not be around in 2018. Jozy Altidore went to high school near me, so I thought about getting him, but he's been playing poorly as of late which makes me wonder if he'll even make the World Cup roster. Julian Green is intriguing because of the whole USA/Germany thing considering we'll play them, but he's probably too young to get significant minutes even if he does make the final cut. Finally there's Dempsey (which everyone has), Bradley, and Wondolowski. I'm not excited about any of them.

Thoughts?

Your most important player is by far Michael Bradley.

Yeah Bradley is by far our most important player. I'd go with someone who either is from your state/area or plays for one of your favorite clubs, or who you're just excited to watch. If i get one it'll probably be a Dempsey, being that i'm from Texas, or Holden had he not gotten hurt, being that i was born in Houston. 19 is my number so maybe Zusi. It would also be cool to get Bacon(johannson) or Mix(Diskerud) on the back of a jersey.

Archived