2014-15 Soccer Kits & News (too early? nah)

Conrad.

The Whitecaps are only selling those kits actually. We will not see them in-game (unless i'm mistaken?)

It kind of bothers me though, because the Whitecaps, in any form, have not been around for 40 years.

Even if you count the NASL and USL/USSF versions there was still a gap in 1985 where the team just did not exist.

Plus from 1986 to 1998 (the CSL/APSL/A-league years) they were the 86ers. That's a pretty significant gap where they were not the Whitecaps.

I don't know, maybe I'm nit-picking. I get that teams like Seattle and Portland include their D2 days as part of their history but it's just not exactly honest. If anything the lineage of what is the current Whitecaps is 27/28 years old.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old debate that continues on and on.

I'm of the side that feels the team name is more inherently the city's and thus drawing a connection makes perfect sense. For us, there has been several different Seattle Sounders teams but they've all been Seattle's so the constant is the city/sport.

On the extreme other side, you could argue that each time ownership changes, the team should start anew since the new owners had nothing to do with what came before them.

I have a client who bought an old, historic diner. He mentioned that of course he's going to keep the history but still feels odd saying "we've been serving the area since 1939..." since neither he nor his family, had anything to do with the place until a few years ago.

I'm not as familiar with my Sounders history so I stand to be corrected but haven't they had a team in some league, be it indoors or outdoors, with that name since the original NASL Sounders first launched?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The Whitecaps were non-existent in the early 80's due to league issues. They only came back into existence in 1985. They are using 1974 because the year they were first formed, and the Whitecaps name has been alive ever since (even if they didn't call themselves Whitecaps but 86ers for a period). It's just a PR thing for the club. Surprised the club didn't come up with a commemorative patch for their "40th anniversary" other than in their inside collar.

If they were nonexistent in the early 80s, how could the name have been alive since 1974?

See also: Cosmos, New York.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Whitecaps History:

NASL 1973-1984

CSL 1985-1992 (club took on 86ers name vice Whitecaps in 1986)

APSL, A League, USL-1 1993-2010

Note: the club bought back the Whitecaps name in 2000

MLS 2011-present

But what a fine figure of a man...

Whitecaps83HomePeterBeardsley2_zps73a39e

Meanwhile, Burnley are going to wear a special one off kit in their match against Ipswich this weekend.

It's to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their FA Cup win, and is based on the shirt worn in said match. Instead of the club crest, it features the Royal coat of arms of George V - he attended the 1914 final, the first reigning monarch to do so.

14BURNLEYCENT1_zpsda3f32d6.jpg

The club had to get special permission from Buckingham Palace to use the crest, and this means it can't be mass produced for sale to supporters.

Shame they couldn't have gone without the sponsor as it's a one-off shirt.

Meanwhile, Burnley are going to wear a special one off kit in their match against Ipswich this weekend.

It's to celebrate the 100th anniversary of their FA Cup win, and is based on the shirt worn in said match. Instead of the club crest, it features the Royal coat of arms of George V - he attended the 1914 final, the first reigning monarch to do so.

The club had to get special permission from Buckingham Palace to use the crest, and this means it can't be mass produced for sale to supporters.

I am a fan of that Burnley one off kit...very nice indeed. I agree with you Jaffa, wish they didn't have to include the sponsor on the shirt. Would look much better

I am a fan of that Burnley one off kit...very nice indeed. I agree with you Jaffa, wish they didn't have to include the sponsor on the shirt. Would look much better

I'm glad the sponsor is pretty minimal though, not an eyesore.

Probably just dodgy lighting, but I hope the socks are a better match to the shirt. Given that the black looks almost navy in places, I'm guessing that's the case.

Also, judging by the background it looks like Wolves have a decent range of retro replicas - always pleasing to see. :)

Very nicely done by Wolves with another top home kit. I have always been a fan of their home kits, very nice and simple, especially their crests. And for people who is wondering what WhatHouse is...

"We offer homebuyers looking to purchase new-build homes in the UK everything they need to help their search: listings of hundreds of new homes and new houses for sale, new affordable homes and new retirement property; we have thousands of Homes for Sale as well as property for rent, daily news on property, housebuilders and estate agents; special offers; expert advice on moving homes and on how to buy and what to look for; and interior design tips for decorating your new home." www.whathouse.co.uk

Will Arsenal use the same Puma template as Wolves?

The sleeves may be a different colour from the body, but the Wolves shirt is different from the leaked Arsenal one - the Gunners' white sleeves extend onto the shoulders and the shirt has a crew neck.

Archived