MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Padres ASG logo reveal is on padres.com in just over 2 minutes. I am prepared to be disappointed.

Edit: I see some blue and red throwback stuff. Some brown and gold, too, as well as the current stuff.

Edit 2: Guy just said they want a sea of blue next year like the Reds had a sea of red.

Edit 3: Manfred just incorrectly called the stadium "Petco Field".

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thoroughly enjoy the beer barrelman, with the caveat that it isn't the 1970's renderings. These modern takes on the beer barrelman of the '40's and '50's are what I would go with for a new rendering:

BeerBarrelMan_by_BrendanTobin.jpg

By Brendan Tobin, from borchertfield.com

LogoTemplate_VintageLogos_MilwBrewers.pn

By Ren69

A rendering similar to these (in royal/yellow, obviously) would really work for the Brewers, tying in the minor league Brewers' iconography with the MLB team.

It's an alright logo, in my opinion. No brown, but it wouldn't be bad if the Padres pursue a blue-and-yellow color scheme in the future. I like the nod to the old Padres road wordmarks in the slant of the "All-Star" script. And then a simple nod to the beaches and stuff with the palm leaves. Not bad~

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

Huh. Not bad, actually. Interesting that they used the bowtie text after it's been dropped. And could the gold be the new addition that calls back to the old days? It could just be an accent color in honor of the All-Star Game, but its location in the batterman logo makes me think otherwise. What's the current batterman for the Padres? Blue and sand?

spacer.png

spacer.png

I thoroughly enjoy the beer barrelman, with the caveat that it isn't the 1970's renderings. These modern takes on the beer barrelman of the '40's and '50's are what I would go with for a new rendering:

BeerBarrelMan_by_BrendanTobin.jpg

By Brendan Tobin, from borchertfield.com

LogoTemplate_VintageLogos_MilwBrewers.pn

By Ren69

A rendering similar to these (in royal/yellow, obviously) would really work for the Brewers, tying in the minor league Brewers' iconography with the MLB team.

Holy cow, that rendering by Ren is amazing.

Does that ASG logo feature yellow instead of sand? It looks yellow on my monitor. Maybe they realized how uninspiring sand is as a team color. Still, if it's hinting at a change of them going to navy and yellow, it'll be a huge disappointment. Just like the change in 2012, it would be kicking the can down the road 3-4 years before we could reasonably expect them to go back to the colors they should be wearing. Nobody wants the Padres wearing navy and yellow. Even worse if it also has light blue. They shouldn't dress like the Chargers. The Chargers shouldn't even dress like the Chargers.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

tF4Pob4.png

Edit: Actual render.

CKIewBnUAAAQGKF.png

That is awful, in that it's so boring and generic that it means nothing.

Blue and Yellow first off? Can only assume that means that will be the Padres color scheme in 2016. Which isn't totally terrible until you remember that it's already the Chargers color scheme... talk about playing second fiddle to your neighbors. I mean I guess it's good to add back a second color since sand was scrapped a few years ago, but with the orange so blatantly obviously the best choice from the old 1990's uniforms, yellow just feels like a less than best choice to make, even absent the fact you're ripping off the color scheme of the football team that may be about to tell the city to go screw itself. And I say that as someone who absolutely wants the Padres to remain Navy Blue, not godawful brown. I mean I'm happy they're likely remaining blue, but it's not the best choice with blue they could have made. But maybe it'll grow on me as at least it's not brown.

As for the design itself, it is so uninspired and boring in that it has no ties to San Diego. I mean it's got a few shadows of palm leaves which could be anywhere and a generic arch... No Coronado Bridge, no ships, no real ocean/beach imagery, no Mission themes. Talk about a wasted opportunity. Nothing about the design says "San Diego."

And lastly the return of the now long departed BowTie script is just a disjointed mess unless of course it's making a return in 2016.

I think I've finally gotten good in mind the word that I would use to describe the new All-Star logo.

Pleasant.

I don't know if it's because my favorite color is blue, but I just feel like the entire thing is... nice.

As far as I can tell, with the limited research I've been able to do in the minutes before I run off to visit my uncle in the hospital, every batterman logo in the All-Star Game logos have been the official batterman for that team at the time, so I'm expecting the Padres to make a navy-gold change (coincidentally the same as I was suggesting for the Brewers) in 2015. I'm looking forward to it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was obvious by the fact that they were announcing it already that it wasn't going to be brown, but the fact that we're going to get ANOTHER Padres color scheme with goddamn navy in it is beyond frustrating.

Well on the plus side they've already told us that a brown alt is coming back in 2016 (and with yellow as a secondary color no doubt if Navy and Yellow is the primary). So at least brown lovers will have something to be happy about. Meanwhile blue lovers like myself still have something too, even if I'm confused as to why they'd go blue/yellow when blue/orange with the pinstripes was still the best the Pads have ever worn.

That logo's about as boring as it gets, the only thing that's somewhat unique about it is the bowtie script. Instead of trying to look like a mix of the Yankees, Tigers, and Dodgers, it appears they've moved on to the Rays.

That logo's about as boring as it gets, the only thing that's somewhat unique about it is the bowtie script. Instead of trying to look like a mix of the Yankees, Tigers, and Dodgers, it appears they've moved on to the Rays.

Hey if the Padres are going to emulate anyone, the Rays aren't a bad choice. Both play in small market bay side beach cities with good weather and a long nautical tradition.

Make a bunch more sense than than trying to emulate the Dodgers or Yankees. Now if someone can only get the GM back on the small market management model of growing a winner rather than trying to buy one. Because he failed miserably at the Yankee model.

I don't understand why so many people are comparing the Padre switching to navy and yellow to the Rays. They wear a tiny drop of yellow on their jersey, one that you can't really make out from more than ten feet away.

True. The Rays use of yellow is like the Padres current use of sand. Yes it's there... but it's so miniscule it might as well not even be included as one of their colors.

It was obvious by the fact that they were announcing it already that it wasn't going to be brown, but the fact that we're going to get ANOTHER Padres color scheme with goddamn navy in it is beyond frustrating.

Well on the plus side they've already told us that a brown alt is coming back in 2016 (and with yellow as a secondary color no doubt if Navy and Yellow is the primary). So at least brown lovers will have something to be happy about. Meanwhile blue lovers like myself still have something too, even if I'm confused as to why they'd go blue/yellow when blue/orange with the pinstripes was still the best the Pads have ever worn.

If you're a blue lover, you have over half the damn league to cheer for. Meanwhile all brown lovers (AKA people who don't think every team in sports should look the damn same) have one horrific team with now horrific uniforms (the Browns) to be "happy" about.

F*** some half-assed brown alternate, wearing your true colors only a couple of times a year is still atrocious. Also I don't care how much people love that '98 team or how close Tony Gwynn was to .400 in the strike year, the navy and orange Padres suck, we already have two teams with that color scheme, how many more do we honest to God need?

I don't understand why so many people are comparing the Padre switching to navy and yellow to the Rays. They wear a tiny drop of yellow on their jersey, one that you can't really make out from more than ten feet away.

Yes. Yellow is technically one of the Rays' colors, but only as much as royal blue is one of the Blackhawks' colors. Either way, setting aside the fact that this team should wear brown and this would be another failed rebrand, it makes no sense because they would be copying the Chargers. Not only does it make you look like the little brother, but nobody wants the Chargers wearing those colors to begin with!

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived