Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

The Reign are definitely playing up the throwback gimmick. Their new mascot was introduced tonight. Kingston, back from the dead!

CSDJ9ntUkAAAbD5.jpg-large_zpsc3btht7q.jp

I was at the game last night. Quite a few of the die hard Reign fans were upset the old mascots (Blaze the dragon and the Dark Knight) were gone.

To me, the whole atmosphere is...different. I get that the "small-town" hockey club is gone, but half the fans who showed up were crapping on stuff the old club used to do (like saying 'thank you' to the announcer when he says "one minute left in the period"). Lots of technical problems between the wooden in-game host and on the video board (hit of the night was a Condor making a goal; kiss cam graphics come up during play). I'm sure they're getting their rhythm, but the whole thing is just...different.

The Reign are definitely playing up the throwback gimmick. Their new mascot was introduced tonight. Kingston, back from the dead!

CSDJ9ntUkAAAbD5.jpg-large_zpsc3btht7q.jp

I was at the game last night. Quite a few of the die hard Reign fans were upset the old mascots (Blaze the dragon and the Dark Knight) were gone.

To me, the whole atmosphere is...different. I get that the "small-town" hockey club is gone, but half the fans who showed up were crapping on stuff the old club used to do (like saying 'thank you' to the announcer when he says "one minute left in the period"). Lots of technical problems between the wooden in-game host and on the video board (hit of the night was a Condor making a goal; kiss cam graphics come up during play). I'm sure they're getting their rhythm, but the whole thing is just...different.

Not to mention taking forever just to drop the Monarchs Championship banner. I will say that I like that the banners now all match the Kings banners. They could stand to be a little bigger though.

I was surprised that they got rid of the Dark Knight. He would have fit this brand even better with the use of black and silver. Not much they could do with Blaze though.

• 3 months later...
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 10/25/2015 at 5:21 PM, teddthebucfan said:

Whoever comes up with the ECHL schedules deserves to be given a kick in the pants.

7:30 PM Sat 10/24 Brampton (ON) Beast at Wheeling (WV) Nailers

Game ends at 10

- 6 Hour bus ride to Brampton -

3:00 PM Sun 10/25 Wheeling Nailers at Brampton Beast

The Cyclones have been playing a lot of home and home series' as well. One not too long ago was against Quad City. Those two aren't very close either.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That is :censored: ed up.

I'm an extremely casual fan of one of those less-valued AHL fans, and I'm outraged.  I can only wonder what people who actually actively follow a team think.

My two teams are in the Eastern conference now, so doesn't matter as much. If they were still in the West, if be furious. Wouldn't be as bad if they were contained in one division, but they aren't. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

God, it's even dumber than I thought. Now, if I'm the owner of the Wolves, Bears, or another of the more independently-minded teams, I'm watching Dave Andrews and his fellow buffoons cower in fear at the thought of losing their 1:1 setup, and I'm really turning the screws when it's time to get something I want. Hey, Davey Boy, what say we talk about loosening up this circuit's veteran rules?  Cause, you know... *casually reaches in pocket and drops old IHL puck on table*

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

19 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

I wonder if they get paid the same as all the other players, in other divisions? If so, that is more fuxxed up. What's more f'd up is it's giving their NHL counterparts a slight advantage.

Thats a good point, and possibly the way this gets sorted, if NHL teams unfortunate enough to have their AHL affiliates in the non-snowflake division put their collective foot down. 

Meanwhile down at the lower levels of hockey..

OMG WTF EVANSVILLE?!

Cliff notes summary:  ECHL Evansville team can't agree to lease, decides to move to Owensboro, Kentucky.  Evansville proceeds to replace them with an SPHL team, giving Peoria a "travel partner" that is only 2 hours closer than the next closest team in the league.

Everything is stupid.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 2/5/2016 at 9:54 AM, Gothamite said:

That is :censored: ed up.

I'm an extremely casual fan of one of those less-valued AHL fans, and I'm outraged.  I can only wonder what people who actually actively follow a team think.

I actively follow the Gulls and don't mind at all. Granted I'm on the positive side of the unequal schedule so it's nothing negative for my team, beyond not having as many home games to enjoy. That said, ideally the league will eventually compromise it out further getting all the teams to something between the two extremes now. But for now I'm not going to complain about less wear on our players and less money I have to shell out for season tickets.

11 hours ago, rams80 said:

Meanwhile down at the lower levels of hockey..

OMG WTF EVANSVILLE?!

Cliff notes summary:  ECHL Evansville team can't agree to lease, decides to move to Owensboro, Kentucky.  Evansville proceeds to replace them with an SPHL team, giving Peoria a "travel partner" that is only 2 hours closer than the next closest team in the league.

Everything is stupid.

Hmm Louisville gets an ECHL team. Im betting they go with a horse theme.

• 3 weeks later...

On the shorter season for Pacific Coast hockey teams in the AHL:

Teams from California (BAK, STK, ONT, SD, and SJ) will play 68 games this season.
Teams from everywhere else (including the St. John's IceCaps) will play 76 games this season.
– a difference of 8 games, which is also slightly below the number of shootout-ending games each non-California team in the AHL is on track to play (9)–California teams are on track to play 8.

If non-California AHL teams reduce their schedule to 68 games next year, each team will eliminate one shootout game per season.

The AHL playoffs in the Western Conference are determined by Points Per Game, which gives points for shootout wins (2) and losses (1) and for overtime losses (2), which is not unfair because all teams play under this condition for playoff inclusion.

The only area of unbalanced scheduling will be in the Calder Cup Finals, when the conference champions play each other...but the eight-game difference in regular season schedules might have already been made up in the playoffs themselves: If the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, who played 76 games in the regular season swept their three opponents in the playoffs, they will have played 88 games before Game 1 of the Calder Cup. If the Stockton Thunder win the Western Conference and played three Game Sevens in the playoffs, they'll have played 89 games (68 regular season games and 21 playoff games). 

Having the California teams play fewer games is inherently unfair, even if you do the points-per-game measure.  It's unfair because the PPG stat is essentially granting the California teams their average PPG for those additional eight games that they didn't play.  The non-California teams' point totals are actually borne out over their whole schedule-- not just guesstimated.  

Say the Gulls finish with 68 points in their 68 games.  If the Wolves finish with 75 points in 76 games, the Gulls would make the playoffs ahead of the Wolves, even though they had 7 fewer points than the Wolves.  If the Gulls had actually played those final games, they could have finished with anywhere from 68-84 points.  But they didn't play those games; they only earned 68 points.

• Like 1

So you think the AHL uses a 3-point system? God, don't I wish they did.

Any argument for why any team in any league should be allowed to play fewer games than other teams in the same league is a moronic argument.

• Like 2

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football