The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Every PP the Red Wings had in the 3rd period was questionable as well. If they fell on an offensive possession, they were getting a PP chance.

Here's the brutal ending. Not only should the goal not have counted, but that's a penalty on Abdelkader, and the Blues should have had their own 4-on-3.

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/579717598717177856/photo/1

The Blues are in a tight race for first in the Central and the West. The Red Wings are in a tight race for seeding in the East, including just making it.

I'm hoping the fact that this happened on national television will force the NHL to address this. Obviously they can't change it. But they need to comment on it.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bruins scoring in the first 3 minutes of a game recently has been key. This way, they can be down 3-1 at the end of the first period, instead of 3-0.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Every PP the Red Wings had in the 3rd period was questionable as well. If they fell on an offensive possession, they were getting a PP chance.

Here's the brutal ending. Not only should the goal not have counted, but that's a penalty on Abdelkader, and the Blues should have had their own 4-on-3.

The Blues are in a tight race for first in the Central and the West. The Red Wings are in a tight race for seeding in the East, including just making it.

I'm hoping the fact that this happened on national television will force the NHL to address this. Obviously they can't change it. But they need to comment on it.

While I'm a Wings' fan and won't complain about a win, I missed the 3rd period and overtime. Did they even review the goal? If so, was there an explanation given for why it stood? I'm honestly curious, since all I saw was a .gif of the goal.

While I'm a Wings' fan and won't complain about a win, I missed the 3rd period and overtime. Did they even review the goal? If so, was there an explanation given for why it stood? I'm honestly curious, since all I saw was a .gif of the goal.

Supposedly all goals are reviewed in Toronto, but no, they didn't huddle up after and get on the phone or anything.

The reason being that goal reviews are stupidly limited in the NHL, and something like this isn't on the list of things the replay officials in Toronto have the authority to correct. The call had to be made on the ice, and the officials missed it, even insisting to Blues Captain David Backes that there was no broken stick. (I hope that means they thought it broke during or after the shot as opposed to totally denying the broken stick, but you never know with these guys.)

I know in the past officials have gotten around this by claiming that the video review judges were just looking at the puck crossing the line or and saying the the on-ice officials huddle to determine the other parts of the play. I'm certain the truth is that the on-ice officials were alerted of something by the review judges, but that wouldn't perfectly comply with the rules, so they have to frame it otherwise. In any case, no huddle or phone call took place here. The on-ice officials totally blew it and the video review judges were helpless to correct it.

The NHL is yet to release any sort of official statement on the play, which is frustrating but sadly anticipated. This play impacts a lot more teams than just the Blues. There ought to be a lot of GMs on the phone with the league trying to get an explanation.

I suspect this play may be the last straw in extending the scope of video review. (I've seen others suggest it may also lead to the coach's challenge finally happening, but that won't do any good without the first part also happening.)

Justin Abdelkader scores the overtime winner with a broken stick and it's not even reviewed or discussed.

The Red Wings get an officiating break in Detroit? NO WAY.

Seriously, I'm a Wings fan, but other Detroit fans complaining about how “Gary Bettman and the rest of the NHL is out to get them” pisses me off to no end. Every team gets good/bad calls every once in awhile. The refs are only (flawed) humans.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Interesting read on Disney, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and marketing.

http://contently.com/strategist/2015/03/19/the-mighty-ducks-the-story-behind-the-nhl-team-that-doubled-as-an-all-time-great-marketing-stunt/

But holy cow,

At one point, The Mighty Ducks merchandise outsold all other NHL teams combined and accounted for an unbelievable 80 percent of the NHLs $1 billion in merchandise sales.

IbjBaeE.png

Interesting read on Disney, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and marketing.

http://contently.com/strategist/2015/03/19/the-mighty-ducks-the-story-behind-the-nhl-team-that-doubled-as-an-all-time-great-marketing-stunt/

But holy cow,

At one point, The Mighty Ducks merchandise outsold all other NHL teams combined and accounted for an unbelievable 80 percent of the NHLs $1 billion in merchandise sales.

That's actually a fantastic read.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Justin Abdelkader scores the overtime winner with a broken stick and it's not even reviewed or discussed.

The Red Wings get an officiating break in Detroit? NO WAY.

Seriously, I'm a Wings fan, but other Detroit fans complaining about how “Gary Bettman and the rest of the NHL is out to get them” pisses me off to no end. Every team gets good/bad calls every once in awhile. The refs are only (flawed) humans.

Yeah that argument doesn't really work with the Wings. They're a money maker for the league. No matter where they play, they increase the gate because there's fans all over the country. Their merch sells. Dey mak teh leeg big monies.

sig.png

Sens up 4-2 on the Sharts. Burgers flying in Ottawa.

Drooooooooooooo Stafford just scored on a 1-on-3. I'm not dyslexic. It's just an Oilers game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't mean to dwell on it—although actually I do because it was totally unacceptable and could impact up to like a dozen teams, but here's former NHL referee Kerry Fraser's take on the blown call on Detroit's game-winning goal yesterday.

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-was-abdelkader-s-goal-legal-1.238362

Drooooooooooooo Stafford just scored on a 1-on-3. I'm not dyslexic. It's just an Oilers game.

Sharks got a penalty while on a 3 on 1. Justin Braun pulled down Chiasson about 80 feet behind the play. That probably cost San Jose the game. Score that 3 on 1 and your up 3-1 going into the 3rd.

Anyway, I'm happy. Cruising into 8th place.

Tonight marks the lowest attendance figure the Leafs have reported in their 16 year history at the ACC. It seems that the lovely people in the GTA have finally realized that severely overpriced tickets for a god-awful team isn't worth it anymore.

1425175351-U10338.png

Archived