The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

The Cardinal Way™ mandates that when the Blues and Cardinals are in the same city, St. Louisians must attend the Cardinals game.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still okay, even if we're not in control of our own destiny anymore, if we win out and at least one team loses two of their games, we'll be in.

It's only three games, yet still very much doable.

Just one more regular season game left at the Coliseum. After two and a half years, it's finally starting to sink in for me that the end is near. I'm gonna miss that asbestos-filled dump.

as much as I will miss it, it's for the best.

With the sun setting on the Nas, how many arenas used in NHL 95 for the Genesis are still being used?

Saddledome, United Center, Joe Louis Arena, Edmonton Coliseum, MSG, Shark Tank, Blues Arena. And that's probably it.

Honda Center in Anaheim opened in 1993.

The Cardinals are more popular than the Blues for a few obvious reasons, so that's a big factor. But maybe the biggest factor is that Blackhawks tickets are stupid expensive. Maybe the tickets at Wrigley were also, but that's opening night. Even though this Blues-Blackhawks game ended up being huge, it just wouldn't have the same draw when the schedules were first released.

Also, I know people are getting tickets to the baseball games on Tuesday and Wednesday for $15 a piece. I suspect opening night was a little more, I do think the price of the hockey tickets are insane.

That's why Chicago fans take over the arenas in St. Louis and Nashville so often. Yes, their bandwagon, er fanbase, is ginormous for a variety of reasons. But also everything is really expensive in Chicago and it's not so expensive in St. Louis (and I guess Nashville?) so they'll buy those tickets up like candy. It's easier for them to go to those games. Some of that will change if one of those teams wins a Stanley Cup. They'll get their own bandwagon and demand will increase. But the cost of living isn't going to change based on a Cup, so it's still going to be a factor.

That's a 2 minute take on things. There's a lot more factors than that. Some natural, some unfortunate.

Anyways, huge game last night. Glad the Blues pulled it out.

Also, when will the Blackhawks start being referred to as a dirty team? I'm not saying they're the dirtiest team, but they're the dirtiest team that nobody talks about being dirty.

Three really dangerous hits by the Hawks last night. One of them was accidental. Two of them were pretty cheap (one which wasn't called at all). And Shaw will serve nothing but two minutes for his flying hit on Jackman last night. Everyone involved is fortunate that Jackman got down quickly and the headshot didn't land. Otherwise it could have been REALLY bad.

Come on, Ottawa. One of Detroit or Pittsburgh missing the playoffs would be so very very sweet*.

*of course if Pittsburgh missed the playoffs they would most certainly win the draft lottery because that's how it goes for them.

EDIT: was informed that Pittsburgh traded their pick to Edmonton and it's not lottery protected, though that brings up a situation where Edmonton's chances at McDavid are increased by 7 something percent. That's not ideal either.

PvO6ZWJ.png

*of course if Pittsburgh missed the playoffs they would most certainly win the draft lottery because that's how it goes for them.

Except Edmonton owns Pittsburgh's first round pick due to the Perron trade. So it would be a major double blow for the Penguins for them to 'win' the draft lottery.

Yeah, it's fortunate that Jackman knows a dirty hit when he sees one.

#NoHomer: I'd ask you to find me one example of Jackman throwing a dirty hit. Jackman's a physical player and an aggravator. He'll chop at the back of your heels. He'll knock you down after the whistle. He'll get a hidden cross check in. And he'll talk crap the whole time. But I don't think he's ever thrown a hit trying to take a guys head off or end a guys career. He's a pest (but not just a pest because he's actually a solid defenseman, too). He's not dirty.

David Backes. He's kind of dirty. Steve Ott. He's dirty.

Jackman? Nah.

#NoHomer: I'd ask you to find me one example of Jackman throwing a dirty hit. Jackman's a physical player and an aggravator. He'll chop at the back of your heels. He'll knock you down after the whistle. He'll get a hidden cross check in. And he'll talk crap the whole time. But I don't think he's ever thrown a hit trying to take a guys head off or end a guys career. He's a pest (but not just a pest because he's actually a solid defenseman, too). He's not dirty.

Jackman? Nah.

Everything you mentioned are examples of dirty plays, not as extreme as others but still dirty

Jackman? Nah.

Everything you mentioned are examples of dirty plays, not as extreme as others but still dirty

I guess people have varying definitions of dirty. I've always thought of dirty as "intent to injure." But fair enough.

David Backes is only kind of dirty?

---

Anyways, I'm over here just enjoying/anxiously sweating over the Western Conference playoff bubble, and then I checked on the East, and yeah. How about that Pittsburgh/Detroit slide? It's too bad Florida faded and the Blue Jackets almost had more casualties than the actual Civil War, or the Eastern Playoffs might be damn near perfect.

If I had to choose a team to be left out, it's got to be Detroit. That streak needs to end. The Red Wings can't continually be rewarded for simply existing. Neither Pittsburgh or Detroit is a real Cup threat and both are probably first-round outs in my eyes, so it's not a big deal. But still, if Ottawa could pull it off, it'd be nice.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

David Backes is only kind of dirty?

I guess that's the benefit of the doubt I give a player who is also pretty good at hockey. But your point is well-taken. Backes crosses the line too often, although I'm not sure he's tried to injure a guy in a while (but he has). Lately his just an after the whistle idiot. It's like that's how he thinks leadership is shown.

You see, I'm not exactly Backes' biggest fan these days. But I digress.

It seems like Detroit's goalie can't stop a beach ball. At least that's what it seemed like in their recent losses I saw to the Sharks and Islanders.

Interesting, from the losses I saw against the Sens and the Caps, Petr Mrazek was by far the Red Wing's best player.

If the Sharks can't go to the Playoffs (not eliminated yet, but must win out and LA/WPG pretty much must lose out), I'm rooting for whoever the Kings opponent is and for the Jets.

If the Sharks Todd McLellan doesn't return next season, who is his replacement? Do they look in house such as Larry Robinson? OR do they look elsewhere? If So, who is the top candidate. I wondered if they would consider Ron Wilson, would they try to lure a head coach from a current team?

I've got a feeling unless the Sharks somehow get into the playoffs and go on a deep run, McLellan isn't returning behind the bench for the Sharks.

If the Sharks can't go to the Playoffs (not eliminated yet, but must win out and LA/WPG pretty much must lose out), I'm rooting for whoever the Kings opponent is and for the Jets.

If the Sharks Todd McLellan doesn't return next season, who is his replacement? Do they look in house such as Larry Robinson? OR do they look elsewhere? If So, who is the top candidate. I wondered if they would consider Ron Wilson, would they try to lure a head coach from a current team?

I've got a feeling unless the Sharks somehow get into the playoffs and go on a deep run, McLellan isn't returning behind the bench for the Sharks.

THEY'RE NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS. Winnipeg could eliminate them in the next two hours.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

THEY'RE NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS. Winnipeg could eliminate them in the next two hours.
You never know the Wild could have a wild third period and win 5-2 :)

Seriously though, I know, I just refuse to say they are eliminated until they are officially eliminated because I harp on announcer and pundits when they say a season or game is over before it is.

Archived