The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Yeah, um, Nashville's welcome to the division crown.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blue Jackets were down 3-1 in the third period and still managed to win the game. That's 8 straight W's. Of course things start bouncing their way as soon as it doesn't matter.

PvO6ZWJ.png

As much as I'm enjoying the outcome this game, I kinda feel bad for the Oilers, especially the young kid making his debut in net. That goal he gave up to Gaborik was brutal. Important thing is the Kings will gain ground on all the teams they're chasing.

I love that all other 29 NHL teams hate the Jackets right now. It's a shame we lost 12 straight... Had we've won a couple, we may have been in the playoffs. And the Jackets would've been scary this postseason.

That's what- She

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-radical-proposal-to-destroy-the-nhls-loser-point/

From Nate Silver. Interesting stuff. I think based on his numbers we could just use 4-on-4 until somebody scores. I don't want to touch 3 on 3. We could drop the shootout and maybe drop the loser point. Sure, every once in a while a game would go long, but I'd take that over the shootout.

Speaking of getting rid of the loser point…

The Jackets are now 38-39 this year and currently sit 11 points behind the Bruins, who are currently 39-38. It's stupid.

I also abhor shootouts and wish we'd just call it a day with a tie after 5 minutes of overtime but hey, whatever!

The Jackets 38-39 record is inflated by an 8-2 shootout record. Subtract that and they are 30-37 this season.

The Bruins 39-38 record is deflated by a 3-9 shootout record. Subtract that and they are 36-29 this season.

So I'm not really sure how you reconcile those two thoughts there. Injuries or not, and it's not like Boston hasn't had their own issues with them, but the Bruins have clearly shown to be the better team this season. Shootouts are essentially nothing more than free points awarded to a lucky team after the actual game has ended anyway so I'm perfectly fine separating the two when looking at team records for these purposes.

(Also, mea culpa to Kings fans for my comments from a few years ago. Given the way I view records these days, this means the 2011-'12 Kings were a 34-33 team, so I no longer view them, in any way, as a "sub-.500" Cup winner.)

spacer.png

I love that all other 29 NHL teams hate the Jackets right now. It's a shame we lost 12 straight... Had we've won a couple, we may have been in the playoffs. And the Jackets would've been scary this postseason.

This is the second or third time I've seen you mention this 12 game losing streak and I can't find it.

They lost 9 straight in November and 7 straight to end February. That accounts for a big chunk of their losses, but it was never 12 straight.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Holy effing hell that was a close one in Buffalo. I was just thinking about whether it might be an appropriate time to quit hockey. Toews gets a basket of mini muffins for this.

Bruins/Leafs heading to OT. This is a huge point that the Bruins need. Which means they won't get it.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived