The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC an old timey rule was that they were allowed to take a non-professional goalie out of the crowd. I don't know if it's still on the books though.

Which is why I go to every game dressed in full goalie equipment.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I remember 2-3 years ago in the OHL, Erie was down to one goalie and that goalie ended up getting hurt in the game. They then just took one of the skaters, put him in the goalie equipment, and threw him out there on the ice. I don't remember the exact score, but it wasn't pretty.

Connor Crisp, went to high school with him. I believe it was 13 he allowed.

untitled-6.jpg

Right now, today, Chicago is looking like the Cup favorite. Kings, OTOH.... are they just biding their time? They are a hothouse flower away from Staples Center. There's something about LA right now- I think they're just a bit off.

Because I don't think we're gonna have a WCF threepeat. One of them is gonna exit early this spring. I just think someone else breaks through from one of the two division playoffs.

I could see one of Chicago/LA making it back again, but not both.

Hell, when was the last time we had the same conference final three years running?

IIRC an old timey rule was that they were allowed to take a non-professional goalie out of the crowd. I don't know if it's still on the books though.

Which is why I go to every game dressed in full goalie equipment.

I played Roller/Inline Hockey and was told I was pretty good. Might have my Roller/Inline Hockey goalie equipment somewhere in my garage, but I think I'd be wise to borrow one of the Sharks goalies should I be at the game and picked from the crowd. Equipment meant to stop a rubber ball or puck probably isn't mean to stop a vulcanized rubber puck at high speeds. :)

When I say I played IRH, I don't mean in a league, I mean with kids from my street. And I'm not talking the nice smooth surface those Inline leagues played on either. I'm talking asphalt, gravel asphalt. Yeah it wasn't the smartest move, but it's what we had. We called it Street Hockey because, well, we played in the street, albeit a cul-de-sac, but a street nonetheless.

If we felt like it on a Saturday or Sunday, we'd walk a mile to the local high school to play on the Basketball courts. It was a bit much to carry my hockey goal and equipment. Fun times.

Oh man, the Oilers have a late lead against the Jets. If anyone could blow a game to these Oilers, it'd be the Jets.

EDIT: SERIOUSLY BYFUGLIEN RIGHT AFTER I HIT POST?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jets win it 17 seconds into overtime. This is going to make it suck so much when they rattle off like six losses in a row and fall out of the playoff picture.

Who's doing play-by-play with Remenda on this game? He's somehow worse than Kevin Quinn and Dennis Beyak.

Hell, when was the last time we had the same conference final three years running?

I think Boston and Montreal may take the cake.

They played in four straight Adams Division semifinals (83-87) and then five straight Adams Division finals (87-92).

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Eric Brewer JUST came to the Ducks on Friday, already out 4-6 weeks with a broken foot.

snort

If it's any consolation, Corey Crawford is out a month from "tripping down the stairs." What is he, a battered wife?

Really_seriously_WHAT.gif

I think Boston and Montreal may take the cake.

They played in four straight Adams Division semifinals (83-87) and then five straight Adams Division finals (87-92).

Didn't the triple-headed monster of the Red Wings/Avalanche/Stars dominate the late-90s/early-2000s Western Conference (including playing for the Campbell trophy)?

Detroit and Colorado met in consecutive seasons in '96 and '97 (they split) and again in '02, and Dallas and Colorado met in '99 and '00 (Dallas won both), but there was never a three-peat matchup in the WCF in that time period.

Jeez, in both '97 and '98, the Oilers were a #7 seed and in both years they knocked out #2 Dallas and #2 Colorado. Yeesh. I knew about the first one, but I never knew the Sakic/Forsberg/Roy Avs had a one-and-done playoff year during their peak years.

spacer.png

Right now, today, Chicago is looking like the Cup favorite. Kings, OTOH.... are they just biding their time? They are a hothouse flower away from Staples Center. There's something about LA right now- I think they're just a bit off.

Because I don't think we're gonna have a WCF threepeat. One of them is gonna exit early this spring. I just think someone else breaks through from one of the two division playoffs.

I could see one of Chicago/LA making it back again, but not both.

If my memory serves me right, L.A. wasn't too hot for most of last season either, even right up to the playoffs. Then after coming back from 3-0 down to the Sharks they absolutely caught fire.

sig.png

I'm pretty bored at work today...so got around to thinking with Alfredsson retiring, he's obviously going to have his number retired by the Sens very soon. Who else, whether still active or not, is currently a lock to have their number retired?

It has to be as of now...for example, if Stamkos stays with Tampa Bay long term, which he probably will, he's a lock. BUT- anything could happen, so he's not a lock currently. On the flipside, Toews and Kane have accomplished enough in Chicago already to get their numbers retired. Here's my list:

ANA- Selanne (already happening), Kariya

BOS- Chara, possibly Bergeron

FLA- Maybe Vanbiesbrouck, but you'd think they would've done it by now. Even so, he's borderline.

CAL- Iginla, possibly Kiprusoff

BUF- Andreychuk

ARZ- Doan

BUF- Hasek (already happening)

MTL- All deserving up to this point have received

DET- I think Datsyuk and Zetterberg are just about there and will be career Red Wings. When all said and done, both will be top 5 franchise scorers.

OTT- Alfredsson

TB- St. Louis, Lecavalier

TOR- If I'm not mistaken Sundin has been retired

CAR-All deserving up to this point have received

NJ- Brodeur

NYR- Lundquist?

NYI- none

WAS- Ovechkin

PHI- none

PIT- Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Jagr

CBJ- none

CHI- Toews, Kane

STL- none

EDM- none

LA- Rob Blake

SJ- Marleau

VAN- Sedin twins

COL- Hejduk

DAL- none

MIN- none

NASH- Weber

WIN- none

sig.png

#2 is probably going up for the Hawks. Keith is in his tenth season with the team and has dressed for all but 18 games in his career, and as a defenseman, he's gonna be here a while longer. Two Norrises, two Cups, seven All-Star teams two postseasons where he could well have won the Conn Smythe.

Ducks is Selanne's 8 (Jan. 11), then Niedermayer's 27 and Giguere's 35 for sure. (The team has practically said as much.)

Kariya is a tricky situation, and I've documented it several times here, so I don't feel like doing it again. It seems that the opinions on retiring #9 are turning back to maybe eventually. (He's been put up on a couple new graphic murals in the building, and in the Ducks History videos being shown.) It'd be interesting, because he's the only one that they could ONLY put in Mighty Ducks colors (the other three played, but of course, if the team is given the choice, they'll go black/gold/orange). There's also some opinion that the Ducks have tried to bring Kariya back into the fold (especially in the 20th year last year) but that he's declined to do so. Puck could be in his rink, but I don't know.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived