The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Morin is a nice player. Can't kill penalties, can't play defense, doesn't skate well, but what a shot. I always wanted him to do well. I hope he does well in Columbus.

I think I summed up dear Jason thus:

I like JasonFromMiami because all this time he's been so blithely unaware of his own badness. Most posters who suck -- like me, for instance -- have a degree of self-awareness to their sucking that informs their posting. Even the worst of the worst here occasionally show a shred of vulnerability where even if they don't explicitly say "oh, crap, I just realized I'm sort of an idiot," it shows through in other ways. Not here; never here. This post ruins it forever, of course.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes when I'm bored, I like looking at old drafts and seeing where guys were picked (and where some highly touted names ended up.) I didn't know how much crap was selected in the first round in 2005 outside of the big names. Did the scouting departments also strike during the 2004-05 season?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Yeah, there's a lot of bad picks in just the first half of the first round. Jack Johnson is an incredibly incompetent defenseman. Benoit Pouliot and Gilbert Brule are disappointments. Jack Skille is a bust. Buffalo, Washington, and Atlanta took guys who never played a game.

Kyle Beach, #11 in 2008, is the highest zero-gamer in like ten or fifteen years or something absurd.

Speaking of the '05 draft, former Sens and Lightning defender Brian Lee just retired with knee problems (you know the guy, he was in the Lee for Gilroy trade between the Sens and Lightning, the only trade to ever happen between those two teams...)

Pretty odd to remember him being drafted 9th overall, just ahead of guys like Kopitar and Marc Staal.

Who's Calling the Hawks/Flames game on NHL Network? NHLN is actually just airing the SN feed, but I don't know/remember if SN is regional-specific to teams like Comcast or if it's a Canadian National TV. Anyway whoever it is calling the game he sounds familiar and has that old-timely (as in back-in-the-day) broadcaster voice.

Also frantic pace to the game. Tied 1-1 and Blackhawks are pushing the pace and the game seems a little more energized.

Edit: Hawks score (Saad) 2-1 lead.

That's Bob Cole, good sir!

Sportsnet is a collection of RSNs that also carries national programming. I believe this game tonight was produced by Sportsnet but aired on City.

Yeah, there's a lot of bad picks in just the first half of the first round. Jack Johnson is an incredibly incompetent defenseman. Benoit Pouliot and Gilbert Brule are disappointments. Jack Skille is a bust. Buffalo, Washington, and Atlanta took guys who never played a game.

Kyle Beach, #11 in 2008, is the highest zero-gamer in like ten or fifteen years or something absurd.

It's funny to see the discrepancy in terms of talent level between the picks. It pretty much goes:

33. James Neal

crap

crap

crap

crap

44. Paul Stastny

crap

crap

crap

crap

62. Kris Letang

crap

crap

crap

crap

72. Jonathan Quick

crap

crap

crap

crap

105. Keith Yandle

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

At least most Oilers losses are comical. This one just helped me to an early bedtime. 1-0 after one period, and it looked like an impossible hole for the Oil to dig out of. And hey, it was!

Also, lulz at Brandon Bollig getting healthy scratched for the Flames in Chicago after playing every goddamned regular-season game for the Hawks last yer, because Quenneville "likes that element".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Morin is a nice player. Can't kill penalties, can't play defense, doesn't skate well, but what a shot. I always wanted him to do well. I hope he does well in Columbus.

I think I summed up dear Jason thus:

I like JasonFromMiami because all this time he's been so blithely unaware of his own badness. Most posters who suck -- like me, for instance -- have a degree of self-awareness to their sucking that informs their posting. Even the worst of the worst here occasionally show a shred of vulnerability where even if they don't explicitly say "oh, crap, I just realized I'm sort of an idiot," it shows through in other ways. Not here; never here. This post ruins it forever, of course.

:censored: Admiral, i like you too, your Ottawa handjob joke was fun, also your "Red Sox fans reacts to the Panda in Boston" was fun, also alot ruder then anything i could dream of, how do you pull it off ?

Anyway, the outbreak of epidemic parotitis in the NHL is puzzling, sorry for joking and speculating about it :(

Also, lulz at Brandon Bollig getting healthy scratched for the Flames in Chicago after playing every goddamned regular-season game for the Hawks last yer, because Quenneville "likes that element".

Bollig had stretches of competence last year, but certainly not enough to warrant the ridiculous workload he had. At best he should have rotated in against physical teams. Skilled teams pantsed him on a regular basis. Frustrating, but Quenneville, like democracy, is the worst option except for all the others.

How many stints has MacTavish had as Oilers head coach? 9?!?!

The Oilers oughtta molatov cocktail the whole thing and start over with a new management group. Their fans probably don't want to hear that, but it's clear they're not going to win with Kevin Lowe and team. Stop spinning the metaphorical wheels in the metaphorical mud and hire somebody competent. Somebody who knows how to use a metaphorical wench.

Did anyone watch that show on NHL Network? I think it was called Oil Change where they followed the team around with cameras and documented their last place finishes. It was supposed to document their rise to a contender. That was like 2 or 3 years ago when they were supposed to blow up and it hasn't happened yet.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived