Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2016 Outdoor Games as per Bob McKenzie

Winter Classic - Boston

Stadium Series - Minnesota, Colorado

Heritage Classic - Winnipeg

Figures. Winter Classic stays within the NBC 7, and the Stadium Series games go to the West. I would've thought Minnesota as one of the Western teams that could properly host a Winter Classic, but I forgot about how this league works.

As for the actual stadiums, Boston already did Fenway, so I'd assume we're out in Foxboro for that. (Unless we go to BC's 44,500 Alumni Stadium or Harvard's 30,323). Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium hosted the Gophers already, and I'd hope it's not at Target Field. Colorado is probably Coors Field, because well, Coors Light Stadium Series. (And I think Sports Authority Field is probably too big.) And Winnipeg at the new Blue Bombers field. That's easy.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

We seriously can't trust Minnesota to have the New Year's Day game? Silly.

No way the Bruins will be cleared to use Gillette Stadium, though. Probably Fenway again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No way the Bruins will be cleared to use Gillette Stadium, though. Probably Fenway again.

We can't start reusing stadiums. That's exactly when this thing loses the luster.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

We can't start reusing stadiums. That's exactly when this thing loses the luster.

Yes. That and having 3 or more games a season is starting to wear the luster off the golden goose, just like we all said it would.

What's the rush to get every team in one of these games? Once a year felt special and grand. Now it's less of a big deal.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Didn't having seven of these last year already make it lose its novelty?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The fact that they had a moment of silence that silent was what got me. Usually some assbag ruins it. In Chicago, everybody booed through one (though that was deserved). And then everyone singing O Canada in unison actually felt powerful, not hokey like when people do it for our anthem.

I just wish the Canadiens were still special on the ice (mon seule espère est pour les Canadiens etre spécial sur le glace encore).

That whole ceremony gave me the chills. Just shows how respected Beliveau was in Montreal. Not one person, even the drunken a-holes, out of 21,000 made a peep during that moment of silence.

It goes to show when teams that he never played for are also giving him a pre-game tribute. Winnipeg did one when they played the Oilers.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/12019272/boston-front-runner-host-2016-winter-classic

Looks like Boston is the front runner to host the 2016 Winter Classic. Would love to see the Habs-Bruins at Fenway.

Also, Minnesota and Colorado are in the lead to host the Stadium Series, with Winnipeg hosting the Heritage Classic, which ultimately means original Jets unis.

sig.png

I remember seeing this last night.

ZigzagDefinitiveIcelandgull.gif

One of the biggest guys in the league hits a goalie, you'd think there'd be at least some sort of scuffle. It's like Edmonton doesn't even care anymore.

I sure don't care anymore. It's no fun when your team plays like this for no reason at all. I understand that the defence isn't exactly good, and the goalies have been lacking, but jeez, where's the offence? There's no reason a team with three 1st overall picks up front, plus other nice weapons, should be having trouble scoring. They should be winning and losing games 5-4, not 2-1. Fire everything. Trade everyone. Blow it all up, because whatever this is sure isn't working, and it never will.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

There's no reason a team with three 1st overall picks up front, plus other nice weapons, should be having trouble scoring.

One reason: they fail to establish and control possession, which greatly limits their scoring opportunities notwithstanding the scoring abilities of certain individuals.

There's no reason a team with three 1st overall picks up front, plus other nice weapons, should be having trouble scoring.

One reason: they fail to establish and control possession, which greatly limits their scoring opportunities notwithstanding the scoring abilities of certain individuals.

Fewest wins in the league, despite having at least one game in-hand over other teams close to them. Third fewest goals for, most goals against, worst goal differential. Holy hell. Fire everybody. Fire the popcorn guys.

Firing Kevin Lowe and his band of merry nitwits should be a condition of moving into the new arena. Let grown-ups run this team. Watching Lowe and MacTavish give press conferences makes me cringe.

It's downright amazing how inept the entire Lowe/MacTavish era has been. Outside of Dwayne Roloson becoming Terry Sawchuk for a month-and-a-half in '06 (and remember, they were an 8-seed for that), the Oilers haven't won a single playoff series under their reign in seventeen years. Like someone said on Twitter last night, they've got dueling Pulfords up there. Nothing has been fixed. And given that the team's riding a decade of sellouts and is being gifted a new arena, nothing is going to get fixed.

Screenshot_2014-12-12-20-40-07-1_zps0fzn

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can't hold the failures of the pre-lockout Oilers against them too much. Remember that they were a textbook Small-Market Hell team at that time, developing or acquiring good players (Weight, Marchant, Carter, Joseph, Comrie) and losing them when the costs of doing business in a small town with a weak currency in an uncapped league were too much to overcome. Everything after 2006 short of Pronger putting his dick where it didn't belong and forcing a bad trade, I absolutely hold against them, and there's no reason for the alumni club to still be in charge of hockey operations.

Archived