2014-5 NBA Season Thread: We Are North American Ballerz

buzzcut

I enjoyed the 3-point and slam dunk contests. It was cool to see Steph Curry win and Zach LaVine was clearly the star of the show for the evening.

However, I hope they never put the TNT commentators through the in-arena PA again. Especially when it's just Kenny Smith yelling the same thing over and over again "IT WAS A 540! IT WAS A 540! IT WAS A 540!" No it wasn't, and also shut up.

EDIT: I also liked that they tried using iPads for the slam dunk scoring, but after Dr. J couldn't figure out how to work it, they want back to the reliable printouts. As they should have done all along.

Also, the Space Jam throwback -- including Quad City DJs live! -- was pretty special.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed the 3-point and slam dunk contests. It was cool to see Steph Curry win and Zach LaVine was clearly the star of the show for the evening.

However, I hope they never put the TNT commentators through the in-arena PA again. Especially when it's just Kenny Smith yelling the same thing over and over again "IT WAS A 540! IT WAS A 540! IT WAS A 540!" No it wasn't, and also shut up.

EDIT: I also liked that they tried using iPads for the slam dunk scoring, but after Dr. J couldn't figure out how to work it, they want back to the reliable printouts. As they should have done all along.

Also, the Space Jam throwback -- including Quad City DJs live! -- was pretty special.

Completely agree with everything here, especially regarding how annoying the broadcast team, specifically Kenny, were.

I get that the degree of difficulty is higher in today's contests, but all those missed dunk attempts take some of the spectacle away, which is one of the reasons why LaVine deservedly stole the show. I think he only missed one.

Wish LaVine would have hit the first try on every dunk (he missed on both his final dunks). It might have been legendary instead of just memorable, which speaks to how far the contest has fallen.

No one should be able to get a 50 unless it's on the first try. Deduct 2 for second, 3 for third or something.

I disagree on the tablets. Seemed pointless, and the first score they posted -- an 8 -- used colors that were unreadable on TV. Then Dr. J held up an error screen and that was it, thankfully.

Also, the 3-point contest was entertaining, but the scores were artificially inflated by the all-moneyball rack. Not a terrible idea, but the (annoying) commentators were saying things like "an 18 used to get you through" and "27 is amazing." Yeah, maybe when it was out of 30, not 34.

Whoever thought that having the broadcast team be on the arena PA was a good idea needs to be shot, thrown into the nearest river, and their remains cinderblocked into the murky depths.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Dunk contest is made especially dumb when you get an automatic 30 even if you miss all of your dunks. They should take 1 point down for every missed dunk. If you miss your first dunk, the max a judge can give is 9, and the max you can get is 45. And so on for the second one. I've never thought much of TNT's annoying NBA cast of buffoons like Kenny Smith.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I know that 3D projection thing has been around for a few years, but that was the first time I've actually seen it used. That was really cool.

I was thinking the same exact thing! I want to know how it looked live and if that's the next trend in in game entertainment. It looked really cool how the court seemingly dropped through the arena floor. And then the graphics hit explaining the contests using the subway look and feel. I'd say that's what stood out the most last night.

packchampionslfroh.png

I know that 3D projection thing has been around for a few years, but that was the first time I've actually seen it used. That was really cool.

I was thinking the same exact thing! I want to know how it looked live and if that's the next trend in in game entertainment. It looked really cool how the court seemingly dropped through the arena floor. And then the graphics hit explaining the contests using the subway look and feel. I'd say that's what stood out the most last night.
I think the Cavs first used the technology a couple years ago (might be wrong there), but I haven't seen much on it since so I don't think it will become a trend. I'm totally on board with it for big events though.

I'm not sure why people expect all star games to be legitimate athletic competitions.

All star games are exhibitions, and generally, people want to see offense. It's okay.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Not sure if it's news to you guys because I don't come in here often, but the Wolves are working to bring Garnett back to Minnesota to finish his career. Thaddeus Young would get sent to Brooklyn.

Looks like the Nets are also in the process of shipping Brooke Lopez to OKC.

Arron Afflalo to Portland. Nice move stocking their bench. Hopefully his shooting will improve for them.

sig.png

Not sure if it's news to you guys because I don't come in here often, but the Wolves are working to bring Garnett back to Minnesota to finish his career. Thaddeus Young would get sent to Brooklyn.

Looks like the Nets are also in the process of shipping Brooke Lopez to OKC.

With Barry Zito an Oakland Athletic, Torri Hunter a Minnesota Twin, LeBron James a Cleveland Cavelier, and Kevin Garnett possibly a Minnesota Timberwolve, I'm struggling to remind myself that the year is 2015, and we haven't gone back in time.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived