2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread: March Madness

LAWeaver

Congrats to Robert Morris, Valparaiso and North Dakota State for punching their tickets to the dance.... oh, you notice I left out Gonzaga. I don't want to congratulate the bastard stepson for doing what they do best: Bully the West Coast Conference, only to fold when real competition appears.

Now that my venting towards that school is done, one bid is up for grabs tomorrow before Saturday's Bid Bonanza.

Patriot League

#6 American Eagles vs. #4 Lafayette Leopards

Records

AU: 17-15 (8-10)

LAF: 19-12 (9-9)

Chaos has taken the Patriot League by storm as it's top two seeds, Bucknell and Colgate, were taken down by the two teams that will play tomorrow for the league's automatic bid. It's not like both teams are really bad, they're just hot at the right time. Which team finishes their Cinderella run with the automatic bid?

The Lafayette Leopards, that's who!

:winner::notworthy::)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got my SI today.It shows the Northern Iowa Panthers as on of the five teams (along side with Arizona,Duke,Virginia,and Wisconsin) who can beat the Wildcats.

As far as I am concerned,the Panthers make the Elite Eight,Gonzaga makes the Final Four,and UVA wins the championship.

Earlier this season,those Panthers were not in the consideration for the MVC top teams,having in the 13/14 season getting a record of 16-15.

Now this season,they surprise everyone's minds by going 30-3 in the season,#10 in the polls.

They are going to be this year's Cinderella,matching up of the other Cinderella's:

2014:Mercer

2013:WSU,FGCU

2010:Butler

2006:George Mason

2005:Bucknell

1999:Gonzaga

1995:Old Dominion

1990:Ball State (IMO,could have been the greatest upset team of all time if they beat UNLV.)

1987:Wyoming

There are just too many to say,but UNI will be our Mercer,our FGCU,our Butler,and I just hope the slipper fits on the Universty from Cedar Falls,Iowa.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

UNI is projected to be no worse than a 5 . They should hope they get a 6 seed, as to avoid a #1 seed in the Sweet 16, but that comes at a price of not having travel preference and playing in Omaha.

You cannot be a "Cinderella" with a 5 seed or better.

So, looks like the state of Georgia may have one school definitely in, with the possibility (and high probability) of a second school making the Big Dance.

Georgia looks to be a solid in, hovering in the 8-10 range. Probably a 9-seed...falling to a 10 if they lose their first game, maybe an 8-seed if the reach the SEC Championship Game, maybe a 7 if they beat Kentucky.

Georgia State and Georgia Southern are the top two seeds in the Sun Belt. LA-Lafayette and LA-Monroe pose the stiffest tests for the GSU's.

Mercer got tripped up in the Southern, and Georgia Tech finished their derped season on a Tuesday afternoon in the 12-13 matchup. All the other state schools are done, I assume.

Might as well get a head start as 15 (!) automatic bids are up for grabs tomorrow. This post will be updated so I don't make a whole bunch of unneeded posts.

ACC: North Carolina vs. Notre Dame (Old school power against new school up and comer. Can the Heels get payback for the loss at home?)

America East: Stony Brook at Albany (Seawolves have the conference's signature win against Washington while Albany has been the best team)

Big East: Villanova vs. Xavier (Wildcats gun for a #1 seed. Can the Musketeers spoil their party?)

Big West: Hawaii vs. UC Irvine (Top two seeds fall in the semis leaving the Rainbows and Anteaters fighting for that trip to the Dance)

Big Sky: Eastern Washington at Montana (Co-champs battle for the bid. Which team can out gun the other?)

Big XII: Kansas vs. Iowa State (Both teams have won on their own home court. Which power will take the rubber match?)

Conference USA: Middle Tennessee vs. UAB (Can the Cinderella Blue Raiders take down another top 4 seed, this time with a sizable home court advantage?)

Ivy League (Playoff): Harvard vs. Yale (These two teams split the season series. Now, the rubber match at a neutral site for all the marbles. What could be better then that?)

MEAC: Delaware State vs. Hampton (The top two seeds go down in the semis leaving the 5 and 6 seeds fighting for a trip to Dayton)

MAC: Central Michigan vs. Buffalo (Best two in the top heavy MAC face off. The Chippewas have won both meetings, can the Bulls get payback?)

Mountain West: Wyoming vs. San Diego State (Aztecs have taken both meetings with the Cowboys. Can Wyoming pull off the upset?)

Pac-12: Arizona vs. Oregon (Wildcats owned the Ducks so far this season, but they haven't won this event since 2002. Does that streak end today?)

Southland: Stephen F. Austin vs. Sam Houston State (The two best in the Southland face off. Can the Bearkats win in their third try?)

SWAC: Southern vs. Texas Southern (Win or lose, the Tigers are going to the Big Dance... why? Southern is ineligible for the NCAA Tournament thanks to a lack of academic data)

WAC: New Mexico State vs. Seattle (Can one of the bullied beat the bully again?)

Duke and UVa both lose in ACC semis, possibly the UVa #1 seed is at risk.

Duke still has wins @Wisconsin and @UVa while neither beat Duke.

If they "snake draft" it and Arizona gets the West #1, it goes into L.A. with UVa as the #2 (or vice versa).

Just like football it's Arizona vs Oregon for the PAC 12 crown. Arizona pummeled them by a combined 52 this year, so hopefully that continues.

UC Irvine duels Hawaii for the Big West. Gutty win for the Anteaters in OT vs UCSB tonight. Go UCI!

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Was watching Cincinnati-Connecticut game, and at halftime they were talking about Tulsa possibly being left out of the tournament. The guy says "I don't how the number 2 seed in a Power 5 conference doesn't make the tournament."

Is Power 5 still a thing? Is it even a basketball term? What two conferences (Big East, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12) would be behind the AAC and not Power conferences?

There's a going to be a party in the 757 tonight because, the Pirates are going dancing baby!! Hampton beats Delaware State 82-61 to win the MEAC tournament!

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Was watching Cincinnati-Connecticut game, and at halftime they were talking about Tulsa possibly being left out of the tournament. The guy says "I don't how the number 2 seed in a Power 5 conference doesn't make the tournament."

Is Power 5 still a thing? Is it even a basketball term? What two conferences (Big East, SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12) would be behind the AAC and not Power conferences?

Power 5 is: Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12,ACC, SEC.

They are the schools who have autonomy within the NCAA. No other conference has that.

The American is in the same level as the Mountain West, MAC, C-USA, Sun Belt and in basketball terms, the Big East, the A-10, Missouri Valley and the West Coast conference...two bid leagues at best.

Power 5 is: Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12,ACC, SEC.

They are the schools who have autonomy within the NCAA. No other conference has that.

The American is in the same level as the Mountain West, MAC, C-USA, Sun Belt and in basketball terms, the Big East, the A-10, Missouri Valley and the West Coast conference...two bid leagues at best.

That's what I thought. Have no idea what this guy on TV was saying.

Although the Big East could have the third most teams in the tournament. And the MWC, A-10 and AAC could also each have more than two.

officiating in the Tulsa/UConn is awful. UConn bear hugs a Tulsa player and basically pulls him and Tulsa gets called for traveling. Then a couple possessions later, Tulsa gets off fifteen foot jumper and misses, but Uconn gets whistled for a foul.

UConn just tied it up. Tulsa goes for a layup and Huskies whistled for a foul that didn't exist. I hope officiating doesn't stink in the tournament.

Seriously Computer, stop trying to correct UConn to Upon.

Edit: UConn up 1, under a minute to go.

I guess a better model of what the conferences are like would be this way:

Power 5: ACC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-12 and SEC

High Major: American, Atlantic 10, Big East, Mountain West

Mid Major: Mid-American, Missouri Valley, Sun Belt, West Coast

Low Major: Everyone Else

Archived