2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The Coyotes original set was unique, but their pre-edge jerseys were much nicer. Boring and bland, maybe, but still better looking to me. One problem for me was when watching the highlights, the green shoulder yolk pretty much disappears. If you didn't know it was there, you would think there's no shoulder yolk at all.

In all honesty, there really doesn't need to be a yolk (yoke?) at all. Black jersey, with the moon shoulder patches and southwest motif on sleeves and hem would look just fine.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's yoke.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I loved the original look at the time, but it hasn't aged well. I find the green especially looks dated, as does the purple in the shoulder logo. It might look decent though if they updated it by simply getting rid of the green, and giving it a regular maroon yolk. The purple accents can become grey.

It looked mostly black on tv, couldn't see the yoke at all. Looks great in photos and seeing the jersey in person, but on the ice it disappears.

I think they need to do that jersey, no yoke, in brick red and with the current logo. Might have to throw together a concept or two.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

There have been a lot of good concepts here over the years that combine a simplified brick/sand/black color scheme with the kachina stripe patterns. I think something like that is the way to go, though splashes of green and sienna might not be a bad idea.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

After seeing the Coyotes' Throwback tonight, I don't think I'd want it to be their Primary Jersey again, however, if they decided to make it their alternate jersey, I would be okay with that. I had trouble seeing that there was a shoulder yoke on the jersey because the green is pretty dark and I agree with Sodboy that the shoulder patches need a tan outline. Besides that, it's actually not too bad. I think it's a neat jersey, it is definitely one of the most unique jerseys in the NHL's history, that's for sure. Now that the Coyotes have had their Throwback Night, I'm hoping that we will finally get some jersey news for next season so that we can finally start to comment on the 2015-16 Thread. Right now, there's a possibility that the NHL might not have a single change in store and that would suck. Multiple teams need some new uniforms and now it's March and we still haven't heard a peep. I hope that we will be getting some news in the not too distant future.

We already know that's not the case as the Islanders will have a new third jersey (probably black and white *gag*) for their move to Brooklyn next season. You'll also have Winter Classic jerseys for the Habs/Bruins plus Stadium Series jerseys for Colorado/Detroit/Minnesota/Chicago.

The Outdoor Jerseys are new jerseys but what I mean by changes is, for example, a new alternate or new home/road jerseys. As for the Islanders, I know that a change is obviously coming soon. I think you're right that their new Brooklyn jersey will be coming next season, however, isn't the third jersey rule that a team has to wear their alternate for two complete seasons? They only wore their current third four or five times last season, unless there's some type of exception and last year counts as the first season with their Stadium Series third jersey.

I liked those Coyotes jerseys in the 90s. I don't like them any more. I would rather see them get a whole new look instead of digging dated jerseys out from the 90s.

I think they could use something brand new as well.

Nice to see those jersey's back in action. Love the classic colour palette. Sure they need a little work but they have way more life to them than the current sweater. Would love to see a mash-up of the two looks!

A mash-up could actually turn out to be really nice, even though I don't care for their current logo.

I really liked the Coyotes original branding.

The whole thing really paid homage to the Southwest.

At the time of the relocation, I thought the Coyotes identity did better to represent the location than the bland Red/White/Blue identity of the Jets did in Winnipeg.

Just look at the Coyotes original logo and compare it to the pictures I posted above.

It was an amazingly clever way of tying Hockey to the history of the culture in Arizona.

The Coyotes' original look did a great job of representing Arizona, plus it was a unique look. I know red/white/blue is too common in Sports but I disagree with you on the Jets pre-Phoenix/Arizona identity. Those uniforms were quite nice.

I thought the Coyotes identity did better to represent the location than the bland Red/White/Blue identity of the Jets did in Winnipeg.

Not that the Jets' uniforms were masterpieces, but why can't a hockey team just be a hockey team?

Exactly. Some teams like the Coyotes have been able to create weird looks that are unique and decent but I'm really glad that most NHL teams have been slowly changing to simpler jerseys. The NFL has been doing the opposite and look at how downhill teams like the Bucs and Jaguars have gone in the past few years.

The Coyotes original set was unique, but their pre-edge jerseys were much nicer. Boring and bland, maybe, but still better looking to me. One problem for me was when watching the highlights, the green shoulder yolk pretty much disappears. If you didn't know it was there, you would think there's no shoulder yolk at all.

I think so too. As for the Throwback Jersey, I think that if they made the shade of brick red the same as their current uniforms, and also made the green a lighter shade, it would be better and you would definitely see the shoulder yoke.

I loved the original look at the time, but it hasn't aged well. I find the green especially looks dated, as does the purple in the shoulder logo. It might look decent though if they updated it by simply getting rid of the green, and giving it a regular maroon yolk. The purple accents can become grey.

That would be a decent idea but I think they should try brightening up the green and maroon. Maybe someone could make a mock-up of what I'm talking about.

What did those little 8-bit thingies from the arm/waist stripes represent?

The Kachina, Spiritual beings from the cultures of the American Southwest.

352px-Kachina_depicting_Palhik_Mana_DMA.papa5.jpg

I really liked the Coyotes original branding.

The whole thing really paid homage to the Southwest.

At the time of the relocation, I thought the Coyotes identity did better to represent the location than the bland Red/White/Blue identity of the Jets did in Winnipeg.

d0969d10cc4b6d13577540828c9ccece.jpg

Just look at the Coyotes original logo and compare it to the pictures I posted above.

It was an amazingly clever way of tying Hockey to the history of the culture in Arizona.

Interesting info about the Coyotes original look. I never knew there was a purpose based on western culture to having a picasso-shaped logo.

Thanks for the info. You're no idiot :P

Coyotes' throwback I see received nice traction at their official website, including quotes from current & former players hoping it returns.

I always loved that logo, along with the Sharks original, the minimalist/sharpness & right angles are ideal for a hockey logo.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Yep, probably a cease-and-desist coming from NFL Properties any minute now for that one.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yep, probably a cease-and-desist coming from NFL Properties any minute now for that one.

Maybe, though he's not making a profit off of the mask. My guess is the artist may get the letter to stop using player likenesses, not the goalie.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Couldn't he "license" it from the Bills? The Bills and the Sabres have the same owner now. Sponsors use team logos all the time... does it all run through a rigid set of rules with NFL Properties? The owners are actively trying to tie the Bills and Sabres together more:

20141005-Hdr-OneBuffalo.pngB0FVtQ4CUAEhSmW.jpg-large.jpeg

Oh, right, I forgot that Pegula owns both now. Never mind, then.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Agree wholeheartedly. The Coyotes had something really unique and special with their inaugural look. How many other teams were able to invent a completely original colour scheme, with 5 colours, and actually have it turn out good?

The 2004 jerseys were very attractive in their own right, and very influential in starting the throwback craze. Still, everything that made the original identity original and charming was left on the cutting table including the colour scheme.

The current jerseys are absolutely terrible. The hem stripes are essential for this sort of era mixing to work effectively, and the shoulder yoke on the road looks tracked on.

Man, there really isn't a team in sports that has downgraded worse than the Coyotes. And I don't mean just uniforms, I mean across the board. They used to have awesome uniforms, great out there logo, the stadium downtown, Jeremy Roenick and Keith Tkachuk, that new car smell, ect. Those teams and their jerseys were a bit weird, but they were downright endearing.

Now? Boring/bland/uninspired uniforms, confusing and dumb looking logo, TERRIBLY located stadium, Mike Smith and Shane Doan, money pit, ect.

The Coyotes now are so different than those earlier teams that I'd almost be in favor of them just splitting the history of the team up like they were two totally different franchises, because they kinda feel like they are.

I'd say they're a shell of what they used to be, but that's pretty much an insult to shells. They're a dirty, used wrapper of what they used to be.

You do know Doan was the Jet's final 1st round draft pick in Winnipeg before moving to Phoenix right? He is the ONLY respectable thing left of the Jets/Coyotes.

I agree with you on everything else, It's a shame that this franchise has become a joke. The original concept was strange at first but quickly earned the franchise an identity - which is difficult to achieve in a traditional league that is extremely set in their ways. From the Logo to the Striping, this jersey was one of the best of the 90's and maybe ever? Sure it's not like an original 6 but it's definitely better than the garbage they wear now.

I wish they would revert to the 90's design full time. It gives the team something the league doesn't have - character. All of the teams are bland and corporate. The old Coyote's design is what the Seahawks design is to the NFL. It looks weird but it works.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived