2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

If Ottawa can have banners up for the original Senators/Silver Seven Stanley Cup championships, why can't we have continuations in Winnipeg and Quebec?

Probably because the original Winnipeg logos are owned by Arizona, and Quebec by Colorado. The original Sens moved to St. Louis as the Eagles for one season.

bufg.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original Winnipeg Jets' identity and IP were owned by the NHL and offered to TNSE for the price of zero dollars. They accepted.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The original Winnipeg Jets' identity and IP were owned by the NHL and offered to TNSE for the price of zero dollars. They accepted.

I'm sure it will be the exact same story if Quebec is granted a franchise. On a side note, out of curiosity, has anyone heard a single peep about the Islanders, Ducks, or Avalanche third jerseys coming out for next season? I'm surprised we haven't learned more about what they will look like, let alone the fact that leaks are coming less and less it seems.

It also doesn't help the "Black Knights" case that their closest geographic rival wears all black and has a medieval/regal name starting with K.

That's a problem, but a bigger problem is that their other geographic rival also wears all black and was also inspired by the Army Black Knights.

The question would be how'd they'd look. They were just about to dump the igloo, which was looking very 70s. I think they'll go with that color scheme (or the lighter blue scheme) but I don't know that they'll bring that logo back.

There's a lot of cool iconography that can go with Quebec City: the snowy owl, the crenelation and ship from the city flag, the ramparts on the city coat of arms, and the good old fleur-de-lis, but the classic Nordiques igloo has taken on so much significance in the years without the team. I don't think anyone felt really attached to either old Winnipeg Jets logo, it was always more about making sure to bring back the name itself and the whiteout. With the Nordiques, it seems to be the whole package that people want back, as if the team had been preserved in amber all these years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I didn't see it posted here or in another Sports Logos thread going back to when it was posted. Sports Illustrated posted their top ten greatest (and worst) NHL logos. Some strange choices for sure.

http://www.si.com/nhl/photos/2015/07/09/10-greatest-nhl-logos-all-time/start

http://www.si.com/nhl/photos/2015/07/10/10-worst-nhl-logos-all-time/start

I'm glad you posted this. I like reading this lists from well known sites like this, however, I wonder why logos such as Chicago's, Calgary's, Edmonton's, New Jersey's, and the Blues' were not on that top 10 list. I guess it is just a matter of opinion.

I'm not familiar with the Army Black Knights but did the Ducks get inspiration for their current colors from them?

Yes. Before their redesign for 2006-07, Brian Burke went on a field trip to West Point and decided the Ducks were going to dress up as West Point's hockey team because Army players are hard-working or something. Then they added a little bit of orange to pat Orange County on the head.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bill Foley said they were going to hold a "name the team" contest. The "Black Knights" on the expansion application was just the name of his holdings coimpany, that's an offshoot of his Black Knights Financial Services, Inc.

Settle down, everyone.

That article is from months ago, things may have changed since then and it sounds like a lie to begin with.

And the Black Knight holdings company name is its third name in the last few months. This sounds like it could be the final one since they used it to make the expansion bid.

Nothing's changed. It's been reiterated numerous times over by Foley in print and radio interviews, I simply just picked the first one that came up. You're welcome to Google one with a more recent "sell by" date if you like. The only thing that's been chosen to this point is the team colors.

Yes. Before their redesign for 2006-07, Brian Burke went on a field trip to West Point and decided the Ducks were going to dress up as West Point's hockey team because Army players are hard-working or something. Then they added a little bit of orange to pat Orange County on the head.

Had Burke not gone to West Point, the Ducks might have ended up with a decent look. I'm assuming those recently surfaced proto-type logos were made before the visit.

ColorWerx had their official Pantone values, too. They were going to be dark green, copper, and orange. The change must have come very late in the process.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was watching the new trailer from EA NHL when something caught my eye. It was a shot of Hurricanes goalie, Eddie Lack, doing a new goalie celly and I noticed how the number font matched the old font used by Carolina. Screenshot_2015%2007%2024%2014%2001%2034

Here is another pic.

Screenshot_2015%2007%2024%2014%2002%2004

As you can see it very closely resembles the old font last seen 2 years ago. It may just be a temporary font and they might replace it later on, but I thought it was a little interesting. Could it be a sign that they plan to change it back?

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

Surprised EA updated the Canes' uniforms to any extent.

Because the game's 3 months out from release, and "EA quality control" is an oxymoron.

I don't know if you guys remember or not but last year, prior to the release of NHL 15, EA showed a trailer that had the Dallas Stars road jersey with black trim around the numbers. That was gone by the time the game came out. EA makes zillions of mistakes every year. The Sabres have had the Islanders' goal horn for years, and in NHL 14, the Coyotes and Blackhawks both had the Devils goal horn. They even got rid of recent alternates that were retired, like the Panthers' double-blue third jersey with the roundel and the EDGE version of Toronto's long-time white alternate, which is way better than the 67' jersey.

As for the Hurricanes, if they are changing the font of the numbers, which I'm 99.9% sure they aren't, since this is EA we are talking about, it would be an improvement. Speaking of Carolina, as much as the uniqueness of the Hurricane Stripes is gone from their home and away jerseys, honestly, I have grown to actually like their new look. I know their new jerseys are Team Canada ripoffs and their red jersey has the same striping as the Maple Leafs but you know what, I think their new look is a clean look. Is it the greatest? No. Is it boring compared to their old look? Definitely, however, I must say, after seeing a picture of their last red jersey, those Hurricane Stripes looked really clunky, with an already really busy jersey. As I say that though, let me tell you, if there's anything I would love to see Carolina do, I'd love to see them make a matching road jersey for their alternate jersey. That jersey is by far the best jersey the Hurricanes have ever worn in my opinion. I know the logo on the third jersey isn't an accurate Hurricane Flag, but I like that logo a lot better than their main one and that jersey is a lot simpler than the Canes' last primaries and it still keeps the Hurricane Squares, which are a pretty cool feature.

Archived