2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

It's the same color blue as the Colorado state flag...

I would not be shocked to see a complete flag rip off jersey. I really hate this team's design department.

As of right now, I think everyone hates their design department. :P As for their new alternate, I have a feeling that it will be a decent jersey. I think that the team's higher-ups might be planning to use this new alternate as a trial run and if the fans like the design, I think they may switch to that. Hopefully this jersey will not be a flag ripoff. Why they haven't changed their primaries by now is beyond everyone's comprehension. At least they are bringing in a new jersey. If this ends up being a total buttmuncher, than I will lose all hope for the Avalanche.

Not logo news, but Quebec City and Las Vegas emerged as the only bidders for the expansion slots open, with Seattle failing to place a bid by the Monday deadline. League said it will not accept late applications, and it appears none of the arena proposals in Seattle were able to move forward. Still a long process, but very interesting. Las Vegas still going with Black Knights name, Quebec obviously attempting a Nordiques return.

I was hoping for Seattle to get in on the Expansion team bidding. Why is the Vegas group pushing for Black Knights? The NHL already has the Blackhawks. I think the Las Vegas Knights sounds way, way better than the Las Vegas Black Knights.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wild 15th anniversary logo per Icethetics

CKDNCvTUkAUgU7I.png

Cool - I like it.

I'll echo the general sentiment that 15th anniversary logos are kind of needless/silly - but hey, anniversary logos are cool. I like them. Bring 'em on, I say.

Still holding out hope that my Ottawa Senators redesign the monstrosity that is their 25th anniversary logo into something that will work as a patch, and not be, y'know, terrible.

I would not be shocked to see a complete flag rip off jersey. I really hate this team's design department.

Do they even have a design department? Nhluniforms.com incorrectly depicts the shoulder patches with the regular sky blue, and they look worlds better.

As of right now, I think everyone hates their design department. :P As for their new alternate, I have a feeling that it will be a decent jersey. I think that the team's higher-ups might be planning to use this new alternate as a trial run and if the fans like the design, I think they may switch to that. Hopefully this jersey will not be a flag ripoff. Why they haven't changed their primaries by now is beyond everyone's comprehension. At least they are bringing in a new jersey. If this ends up being a total buttmuncher, than I will lose all hope for the Avalanche.

Not logo news, but Quebec City and Las Vegas emerged as the only bidders for the expansion slots open, with Seattle failing to place a bid by the Monday deadline. League said it will not accept late applications, and it appears none of the arena proposals in Seattle were able to move forward. Still a long process, but very interesting. Las Vegas still going with Black Knights name, Quebec obviously attempting a Nordiques return.

I was hoping for Seattle to get in on the Expansion team bidding. Why is the Vegas group pushing for Black Knights? The NHL already has the Blackhawks. I think the Las Vegas Knights sounds way, way better than the Las Vegas Black Knights.
Potential owner Bill Foley is a West Point graduate (Army Black Knights) and CEO of Black Knight Financial Services.

Potential owner Bill Foley is a West Point graduate (Army Black Knights) and CEO of Black Knight Financial Services.

I hate the names that are simply <color> <common, overused nickname>. While I was announcing college football, there were three different teams that were the eagles on our schedule, but one was just eagles and the other two had colors, so nobody was TECHNICALLY the same. It's annoying.

But, Knights hasn't been used on a major-pro level since...idk, the WHA? so, why not Las Vegas Knights? I actually like the play on words better.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I don't see Quebec being anything but the Nordiques. It'll be Jets 2.0 all over again.

Las Vega Knights flows better than Las Vegas Black Knights. But the regal-themed name and inevitable West Point colours will make them too similar to the Kings and Ducks.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Las Vegas Black Knights sounds terrible and I hate that its a rip-off from the Army... So every owner gets to change their team name to their Alumni?

Las Vegas Knights sounds much better and the double meaning is awesome.

I hope the NHL blocks any Black Knight name.

Man, I don't know. If you lived in Denver you would see all the garish Colorado State flag designs. They are EVERYWHERE now. Malls, boutiques, sports stores...

I would be thrilled with a unique, well-designed jersey. I am expecting a flag rip-off.

Do they even have a design department? Nhluniforms.com incorrectly depicts the shoulder patches with the regular sky blue, and they look worlds better.

I would love to meet them if they do exist...

Ha, yeah that does look better on nhluniforms.com. But I have to question why they have McLeod as their Avalanche player!

I don't see Quebec being anything but the Nordiques. It'll be Jets 2.0 all over again.

Las Vega Knights flows better than Las Vegas Black Knights. But the regal-themed name and inevitable West Point colours will make them too similar to the Kings and Ducks.

Probably. That seems to be how it's all being publicized.

As long as they go the "Jets" and not "Hornets" route, that'll be fine. Otherwise, we'll "officially" have a "first year expansion team" winning a cup. Even though they will not be considered that until a couple of decades after the fact.

The question would be how'd they'd look. They were just about to dump the igloo, which was looking very 70s. I think they'll go with that color scheme (or the lighter blue scheme) but I don't know that they'll bring that logo back.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As long as they go the "Jets" and not "Hornets" route, that'll be fine. Otherwise, we'll "officially" have a "first year expansion team" winning a cup. Even though they will not be considered that until a couple of decades after the fact.

The question would be how'd they'd look. They were just about to dump the igloo, which was looking very 70s. I think they'll go with that color scheme (or the lighter blue scheme) but I don't know that they'll bring that logo back.

I really can't think of anything less significant to worry about than what team recognizes what team's history as their own. It's not like future generations will think the Avs sprang from nothing to win a cup in their first year because of this, and if they do, it will be because of the name change rather than what one club or another chooses to recognize. If anything, this leads to accomplishments being honored by the team whose fans were a fan of that team when it was accomplished, rather than by a team whose fans had no connection to that event because of corporate continuity. That more than outweighs any strangeness in the record books for me.

I just hope that the Nordiques will keep its colors, especially the exact shade of the blue. I think the franchise should go the Jets route and go with a new logo. The logo is outdated. I'm saying all of this like they are automatically going to be granted a team, knowing very well that this is the league run by Gary "Suburban Strip Malls" Bettman.

I really dislike the Black Knights name. Color identifiers only work on team names in certain cases when the identifier is meaningful. The Blue Jays are obviously named after a bird, and the Blue Jackets are named after a military regiment. The White Sox and Red Sox are named after articles of clothing, and their names are silly in abstract and would never be picked today for an expansion team. So, why Black Knights? What makes them black? Do they wear black armor, and if so, why? Are their hearts black with evil? Are the knights just a bunch of black dudes?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I really can't think of anything less significant to worry about than what team recognizes what team's history as their own. It's not like future generations will think the Avs sprang from nothing to win a cup in their first year because of this, and if they do, it will be because of the name change rather than what one club or another chooses to recognize. If anything, this leads to accomplishments being honored by the team whose fans were a fan of that team when it was accomplished, rather than by a team whose fans had no connection to that event because of corporate continuity. That more than outweighs any strangeness in the record books for me.

I may have jumped on it earlier than needed but this is a logo board, so we were obviously going to discuss whether they'd use the igloo...that sort of segues into the "history" discussion.

I feel how I feel, but we should probably avoid that argument at this time on this thread.

So to appear to keep on track...

I do hope QC gets a team. Regarding the name, I think the people there will want Nordiques...and unlike the Minnesota situation, the name was dropped by the former franchise so, like the Jets, it can probably work. I am very torn on the igloo. I love seeing it around, but it really does look very 70s.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I really dislike the Black Knights name. Color identifiers only work on team names in certain cases when the identifier is meaningful. The Blue Jays are obviously named after a bird, and the Blue Jackets are named after a military regiment. The White Sox and Red Sox are named after articles of clothing, and their names are silly in abstract and would never be picked today for an expansion team. So, why Black Knights? What makes them black? Do they wear black armor, and if so, why? Are their hearts black with evil? Are the knights just a bunch of black dudes?

There is definitely a difference between "Blue Jays"/"Blue Jackets" and "Golden Eagles" / "Black Knights."

Red Wings is kinda in the middle, but "Wings", unlike "Eagles" or "Knights" does not work so well on its own. I am OK with these names in college, where there are tons of schools/names. But it does not seem "pro" to me. That's why I did not love Minnesota "White Bears" (better, by default, than "Wild"). A white bear is a polar bear. So be the "Polars." In the case of the Knights, it works....it's not really an over-used name. "Las Vegas Knights" sounds better than "Las Vegas Black Knights."

POTD (Shared)

"Knights" is an awesome, often-ignored name. I'm fine with it.

Knights is good, but it also sort of falls into that generic nickname zone that might show up in a movie where they couldn't get licensing. See: Dallas Knights, "Any Given Sunday".

It would take a really solid identity and years of knowing a major league team with that moniker for me to drop that connotation. So the name is good, but it could also be used by any other city in any other sport. It might work best in Vegas because it plays off the famous Las Vegas nightlife (marketing campaign idea: "Knightlife").

Black Knights, though? That's Devil Rays bad.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived