2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

It's the same color blue as the Colorado state flag...

I would not be shocked to see a complete flag rip off jersey. I really hate this team's design department.

As of right now, I think everyone hates their design department. :P As for their new alternate, I have a feeling that it will be a decent jersey. I think that the team's higher-ups might be planning to use this new alternate as a trial run and if the fans like the design, I think they may switch to that. Hopefully this jersey will not be a flag ripoff. Why they haven't changed their primaries by now is beyond everyone's comprehension. At least they are bringing in a new jersey. If this ends up being a total buttmuncher, than I will lose all hope for the Avalanche.

Man, I don't know. If you lived in Denver you would see all the garish Colorado State flag designs. They are EVERYWHERE now. Malls, boutiques, sports stores...

I would be thrilled with a unique, well-designed jersey. I am expecting a flag rip-off.

Considering that THIS is the flag of Denver, they could do some cool stuff with the city and state flags and a mountain striping pattern...

600px-Flag_of_Denver,_Colorado.svg.png

But it's the Colorado Avalanche, so I know they won't.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not be shocked to see a complete flag rip off jersey. I really hate this team's design department.

As of right now, I think everyone hates their design department. :P As for their new alternate, I have a feeling that it will be a decent jersey. I think that the team's higher-ups might be planning to use this new alternate as a trial run and if the fans like the design, I think they may switch to that. Hopefully this jersey will not be a flag ripoff. Why they haven't changed their primaries by now is beyond everyone's comprehension. At least they are bringing in a new jersey. If this ends up being a total buttmuncher, than I will lose all hope for the Avalanche.

Not logo news, but Quebec City and Las Vegas emerged as the only bidders for the expansion slots open, with Seattle failing to place a bid by the Monday deadline. League said it will not accept late applications, and it appears none of the arena proposals in Seattle were able to move forward. Still a long process, but very interesting. Las Vegas still going with Black Knights name, Quebec obviously attempting a Nordiques return.

I was hoping for Seattle to get in on the Expansion team bidding. Why is the Vegas group pushing for Black Knights? The NHL already has the Blackhawks. I think the Las Vegas Knights sounds way, way better than the Las Vegas Black Knights.
Potential owner Bill Foley is a West Point graduate (Army Black Knights) and CEO of Black Knight Financial Services.

Oh, okay. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for mentioning that. Even though he is obviously attached to the name Black Knights, for an NHL team, I think just Knights sounds far better.

I hope Quebec won't go with Nordiques.. Since it's a new expansion team in Quebec, it's should be another name. A new name for a new era, no need to live in the past now

Your point makes sense, however, Nordiques is such a unique name, and for the most part, it is exclusive to Quebec. That name is iconic, and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that when it comes to Professional Sports, that name is one of a kind. It has got to be Nordiques if Quebec gets a team. That name is so cool, and the uniforms and logo are iconic and so unique too. Most Quebec fans would have a fit if they weren't called the Nordiques and honestly, I wouldn't blame them either.

Man, I don't know. If you lived in Denver you would see all the garish Colorado State flag designs. They are EVERYWHERE now. Malls, boutiques, sports stores...

I would be thrilled with a unique, well-designed jersey. I am expecting a flag rip-off.

You live in Denver, I'd like to think you would know a hell of a lot more about that than myself. :P I'm not surprised, especially seeing the Colorado Rapids adopt a Royal Blue flag-inspired jersey. If the flag is everywhere in Denver, than I can definitely see why you're expecting a flag rip-off and now that you've said this, I'm expecting the same now. Maybe a flag ripoff will be a good thing for the Avalanche. They can't get much worse than what they have now.

I really dislike the Black Knights name. Color identifiers only work on team names in certain cases when the identifier is meaningful. Are the knights just a bunch of black dudes?

LOL, I'd like to see someone ask Bill Foley that just for a good laugh. I think the name Black Knights is a terrible idea too.

Just call NFL Properties, use this, and take my money.

91knightslogo.gif

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Considering that THIS is the flag of Denver, they could do some cool stuff with the city and state flags and a mountain striping pattern...

600px-Flag_of_Denver,_Colorado.svg.png

But it's the Colorado Avalanche, so I know they won't.

This has potential. They could do something great with this in my opinion.

Nordiques is a great name, but I think they should drop the igloo logo as there primary. Maybe use to it for a 3rd jersey, but come up with a new prirmary, maybe using the fleur-de-lis.

If they get their team back, as much as I love their classic jerseys and logo, I do think a new look would be the right way to restart the Nordiques and then slowly transition back to the classic look. I'm torn because I love the old look but at the same time, I can see the new owners wanting to get some major jersey sales right off the hop like the Jets have done. I would like to see them start off with the unused Husky jerseys. I think that was a waste of a half-decent design.

Just call NFL Properties, use this, and take my money.

91knightslogo.gif

That isn't a bad logo, but I think it could use a tweak or two. I think it would make a better shoulder patch than a main logo though.

Do they even have a design department? Nhluniforms.com incorrectly depicts the shoulder patches with the regular sky blue, and they look worlds better.

It's a good opportunity for me to remind you that I put the website together not as an NHL insider, but rather as a common fan. When I get an opportunity, I'll fix the shoulder patches. But I'm on vacation right now, so it may be a few days before I get to it. So you'll just have to live with the misinformation for the time being. :)

I don't understand people who hate Black Knights but like Knights? Just call them Knights.

It will be Black Knights anyway. The colors are Black Gold and Grey, the official company name has Black Knight in it, etc.

I don't see Quebec being anything but the Nordiques. It'll be Jets 2.0 all over again.

Las Vega Knights flows better than Las Vegas Black Knights. But the regal-themed name and inevitable West Point colours will make them too similar to the Kings and Ducks.

Probably. That seems to be how it's all being publicized.

As long as they go the "Jets" and not "Hornets" route, that'll be fine. Otherwise, we'll "officially" have a "first year expansion team" winning a cup. Even though they will not be considered that until a couple of decades after the fact.

The question would be how'd they'd look. They were just about to dump the igloo, which was looking very 70s. I think they'll go with that color scheme (or the lighter blue scheme) but I don't know that they'll bring that logo back.

I really can't think of anything less significant to worry about than what team recognizes what team's history as their own. It's not like future generations will think the Avs sprang from nothing to win a cup in their first year because of this, and if they do, it will be because of the name change rather than what one club or another chooses to recognize. If anything, this leads to accomplishments being honored by the team whose fans were a fan of that team when it was accomplished, rather than by a team whose fans had no connection to that event because of corporate continuity. That more than outweighs any strangeness in the record books for me.

UGH. NOT THIS AGAIN. You can't just arbitrarily change the history books because some team comes along later and reclaims a former name. The RECORD BOOKS will be full of lies, I can't see how anyone can justify literally changing history arbitrarily. If this happens, future generations will be thought lies about sports history, I can think of things less significant to worry about than that. Sports IS its history, and s*** like this f***s everything up.

Settle down there, Chester. It's kids' games and laundry.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Bill Foley said they were going to hold a "name the team" contest. The "Black Knights" on the expansion application was just the name of his holdings coimpany, that's an offshoot of his Black Knights Financial Services, Inc.

Settle down, everyone.

That article is from months ago, things may have changed since then and it sounds like a lie to begin with.

And the Black Knight holdings company name is its third name in the last few months. This sounds like it could be the final one since they used it to make the expansion bid.

I don't see Quebec being anything but the Nordiques. It'll be Jets 2.0 all over again.

Las Vega Knights flows better than Las Vegas Black Knights. But the regal-themed name and inevitable West Point colours will make them too similar to the Kings and Ducks.

Probably. That seems to be how it's all being publicized.

As long as they go the "Jets" and not "Hornets" route, that'll be fine. Otherwise, we'll "officially" have a "first year expansion team" winning a cup. Even though they will not be considered that until a couple of decades after the fact.

The question would be how'd they'd look. They were just about to dump the igloo, which was looking very 70s. I think they'll go with that color scheme (or the lighter blue scheme) but I don't know that they'll bring that logo back.

I really can't think of anything less significant to worry about than what team recognizes what team's history as their own. It's not like future generations will think the Avs sprang from nothing to win a cup in their first year because of this, and if they do, it will be because of the name change rather than what one club or another chooses to recognize. If anything, this leads to accomplishments being honored by the team whose fans were a fan of that team when it was accomplished, rather than by a team whose fans had no connection to that event because of corporate continuity. That more than outweighs any strangeness in the record books for me.

UGH. NOT THIS AGAIN. You can't just arbitrarily change the history books because some team comes along later and reclaims a former name. The RECORD BOOKS will be full of lies, I can't see how anyone can justify literally changing history arbitrarily. If this happens, future generations will be thought lies about sports history, I can think of things less significant to worry about than that. Sports IS its history, and s*** like this f***s everything up.

The record books haven't exploded in confusion from two Winnipeg Jets teams. You simply have to use another label, and how hard is that?

As for the history, you can look at those records as "records set for the franchise" and "records set for the city". The city of Winnipeg saw Teemu Selanne set his rookie goals record, and the Arizona Coyotes franchise saw Teemu Selanne set his rookie goals record. Both can claim that record. Then who has more of a right to it is the whole point of having boards like this and bar conversation, it's something sports nerds can debate.

Why stop Quebec City, a place that is wild for the Nordiques again and will buy SO MUCH Nords gear, from having Nords again? Name it something else, you might lose fans and end up doing what the Charlotte Bobcats did, which is far, far worse for the record books.

If Ottawa can have banners up for the original Senators/Silver Seven Stanley Cup championships, why can't we have continuations in Winnipeg and Quebec?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived