College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

[quote name="benpc21" post="2371792" time

I was curious what Nike's convoluted reasons were for the armpit spikes. The uniforms would look a lot cleaner with just the W in the sleeve and the number on the shoulders.

I think the W on the sleeves would work too. If they still used the huskies logo it would look good there too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm more concerned with recruits being photographed in college gear. This kid may be a 100% committed Husky, but give it time and we'll see some big high school WR wearing a Texas jersey in publicity stills, only to flip to Oklahoma or A&M.

Eggs before hatching; horse pushing the cart.

Happens all the time. Been so for years. I think schools started doing it when they were no longer allowed to put images up on stadium jumbotrons. Oregon used to send recruits drawn/PS images of them in Oregon uniforms.

[quote name="benpc21" post="2371792" time

I was curious what Nike's convoluted reasons were for the armpit spikes. The uniforms would look a lot cleaner with just the W in the sleeve and the number on the shoulders.

I think the W on the sleeves would work too. If they still used the huskies logo it would look good there too.

Nike (and for that matter, everybody else) has a history of uses contrasting colors to show off the particular elements of their various templates. In the past, that has gotten us bibs at BYU, back straps on Miami, sports bras at Oregon State, and disco collars all over the NFL. They might claim it has some conceptual meaning, but the truth is they're simply trying to showcase a unique element of their design... its like an extra swoosh

I can't tell if it's just a difference in fabric or if there's an actual difference in shades of purple on that Washington jersey. Looks like the numbers, sleeves and spikes are all three different hues of purple opposed to the "action shot" from the Hawaii game where all the purples are uniform. Bleck.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm more concerned with recruits being photographed in college gear. This kid may be a 100% committed Husky, but give it time and we'll see some big high school WR wearing a Texas jersey in publicity stills, only to flip to Oklahoma or A&M.

Eggs before hatching; horse pushing the cart.

There's plenty of that already. Players almost always try on jerseys and gear on visits and send the photos out on social media. Very, very common.

I don't see black whatsoever.

The sleeves on the new one. They made the numbers black.

Those are purple, not sure how they look black but those in my eyes are clearly purple colored.

I see what you're saying. It looked black to me initially.

The number looks better on the sleeve. Nike has this habit of making sleeves a contrasting color and then not putting anything in there (See: Jaguars, Jacksonville). If you're going to have a different colored sleeve then it creates a natural house for a number or logo. Leaving it blank just feels like they recolored a template and then didn't think about the different elements could fit into it, which is pretty much what they did with UW.

The number being an illegible purple on a purple background is another one of Nike's favorite dumb practices, but I'll take what I can get at this point. It'd look way better if the number where white outlined with gold or vice versa.

Also, UW needs to stop with the alternate helmets. Their regular gold lids are one of the best in college football.

university-of-washington-football-2008-s

But they only wear it like half the time. The white, matte black, and chrome gold are all vastly inferior. I am hoping for a day when the NCAA institutes a one helmet rule like the NFL has.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If anyone had to estimate the year that this whole alternate uniform trend started, what would you say? Yeah, Oregon basically started this thing, that's obvious, but it's fascinating looking even 15 years ago and there were hardly any alternates to be found.

If anyone had to estimate the year that this whole alternate uniform trend started, what would you say? Yeah, Oregon basically started this thing, that's obvious, but it's fascinating looking even 15 years ago and there were hardly any alternates to be found.

I'd say 2006 when they had the diamond plate look.

Oregon.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Didn't hawaii have black/green mix & match combos before oregon? The alt/away helmets started with wsu crimson, kentucky blue and hawaii silver. I suppose we can just give oregon credit for everything though like they were the 1st team in college sports to wear black alts, multiple helmets, and neon.

The number looks better on the sleeve. Nike has this habit of making sleeves a contrasting color and then not putting anything in there (See: Jaguars, Jacksonville). If you're going to have a different colored sleeve then it creates a natural house for a number or logo. Leaving it blank just feels like they recolored a template and then didn't think about the different elements could fit into it, which is pretty much what they did with UW.

The number being an illegible purple on a purple background is another one of Nike's favorite dumb practices, but I'll take what I can get at this point. It'd look way better if the number where white outlined with gold or vice versa.

Also, UW needs to stop with the alternate helmets. Their regular gold lids are one of the best in college football.

But they only wear it like half the time. The white, matte black, and chrome gold are all vastly inferior. I am hoping for a day when the NCAA institutes a one helmet rule like the NFL has.

Too bad that will never happen as the ncaa's authority is hanging on by a thread. They power 5 are methodically and effectively stripping away its jurisdiction and I couldn't be happier.

If you want uniform enforcement your best chance is with the conferences and good luck with that.

The reason they do it in the NFL is to better showcase the swoosh. Jacksonville's blank sleeve means that nothing can visually compete with the logo.

tempRWP_9948--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?wid

Even with teams like the Seahawks and Vikings, which both have designs on the sleeve, they are very careful to make sure the swoosh is displayed in a way the makes it stand out.

blue-left--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=

vikings-sleeve.jpg

960x540.jpg

The new white helmets are bad, because they don't have a stripe and they have the northwest frost thing, but the ones they used before the redesign weren't bad. The chrome helmets, when used properly, aren't that bad either. They looked awesome against Arizona in 2013. But chrome at night is bad, and they were never able to pull off the black helmet. The stripe from 2013 was completely inconsistent and the helmet from this year didn't have a stripe at all.

Archived