2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

Two more to go!

Also, I hate how everybody had their phone out recording the last out. Watch the damn game!

Maybe one day, franchises (& pretty much all entertainers) should have their own in house vid recording from the best seat - & anyone with a ticket could download the vid file?

I dunno... we know that'll never happen.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthopolous out as GM in Toronto.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

The only way you can beat the Royals is to Bumgarner them. For all the hype their rotation got the Mets just can't do that.

That is an excellent point. Very true. Royals would've taken it in 5/6 last year if they didn't run into a guy named Madison.

spacer.png

Anthopolous out as GM in Toronto.

Ted Rogers statue has got to go. F'ing Rogers.

Shapiro about to learn what other Canadian sports GMs know. Getting talent to Canada is hard. Trades sometimes the only way.

Guess all his Cleveland Indians' world championships have gone to his head oh wait.

@2001mark

It all started when they hired Shapiro. He values prospects more than developed guys that can contribute. Even when a prospect get's good enough to help the team, he'll trade them away for more prospects.

The current Blue Jays roster is better than anything he ever had in Cleveland.

Have fun building AAAA teams in Toronto.

It all started when they hired Shapiro. He values prospects more than developed guys that can contribute.

Confirmed it was a 5yr deal AA turned down. He'd rather not work with Shapiro more than he wanted to continue his role with the Jays.

That's not a great sign for me as a fan.

John Gibbons will probably be next, he was AA's guy & friend.

@2001mark

Not sure Sabres Rule, the Royals are a pain and just doing everything right

But even with that, the Mets still should have at least been tied right now. Cespedes played an easy out into a run to lead off game 1, then Familia blew the save. And the Mets were made to endure five more painful innings before taking the loss. They should have at very least won that game, and if they had, I think yesterday might have turned out a little differently (not saying the Mets would have surely won).

It sucks being in the position the Mets are, but winning game 3 at home changes the tone of the series, and then winning game four will make it a whole new series. The Mets still have a good chance to win this, but they need to get over the hangover they had last night from game 1. Take the next two, have Matt Harvey pitching game 5 at home, and suddenly it's the Royals who have their backs against the wall. The Royals are a really good team, but they're far from unbeatable.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

BREAKING ACTUAL NEWS: Bud Black is the new manager in Washington, DC

I'm happy for him. I always liked him as the Padres' manager, and I felt that he never had much of a team to work with (save 2010 and 2015-on paper). Now that he has an even deeper roster (provided that it's not pounded because of injuries), I think he can improve the Nats' situation.

I'm also happy that this means that the Giants will keep Ron Wotus as bench coach.

Ugh, can´t stand the ugly mugs of Cueto + Volquez, and Moustakas´ 24-7 mean mug gum chewing, lay off the roids man ! Mets are so much more likeable :mojoto:

Welcome Sabres Jr!

:lol: no, i am gonna stay positive, that is why i don´t like mean mugging Mousta

It all started when they hired Shapiro. He values prospects more than developed guys that can contribute.

Confirmed it was a 5yr deal AA turned down. He'd rather not work with Shapiro more than he wanted to continue his role with the Jays.

That's not a great sign for me as a fan.

John Gibbons will probably be next, he was AA's guy & friend.

He only cares about the bottom line. Winning doesn't matter to Shapiro and he'd rather pour millions into a stadium, than spend it on players. Collect cheap prospects, wait until they develop then trade them away for more prospects. It was that same cycle in Cleveland his entire tenure.

If you only care about going to a game for cheap food, a decent ballpark and fireworks, you'll be in luck!

Ugh, can´t stand the ugly mugs of Cueto + Volquez, and Moustakas´ 24-7 mean mug gum chewing, lay off the roids man ! Mets are so much more likeable :mojoto:

Welcome Sabres Jr!

:lol: no, i am gonna stay positive, that is why i don´t like mean mugging Mousta
I've met the guy plenty of times. He's far from mean. Probably the most humble guy on that team.

Shocking, but at the same time Anthopoulos was in prime position to play hardball in contract negotiations. How many GM's under the age of 40 can say they've been to the LCS? Not to mention that he was just named the executive of the year by The Sporting News. He is going to be near or at the top of the list for any team looking for a new GM.

With the Blue Jays that GM is job is as about as attractive as being Speaker of the House is right now. They're coming off a their best season in decades, so expectations for next year are going to be high. Their payroll situation is a mess right now with a bunch of key free agents to be and arbitration eligible players. They're not going to have a lot of money to spend in free agency, their farm system needs to be rebuilt and not to mention someone looking over your shoulder with every deal you make. On top of all that, the Jays are also in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees, which is the main reason why it took them 2+ decades to make the playoffs.

The job basically carries all the cons of a big market team combined with all the cons of a small market team and none of the pros from either market size, which again would give all the more reason for Anthopoulos to play hard ball. Plus he may be leaving at just the right time. By the time the fallout from a lot of his short sighted trades starts to take effect, he will have already moved on to his next job, otherwise known as the Omar Minaya effect. Everyone loved the move he made to get Bartolo Colon until Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore came up.

The only potential downside I could see is there's really no openings out there right now, so he may have to sit out a year or two. At the same time, this is a league where 1/3 of you current GM's were hired within the last two years. If there's no job he likes now, just wait fives minutes and something will open up.

It's not only that, but just in general in MLB these days, inflated job titles have become standard (...again? I'd have to really dig to substantiate that; I digress...). For as long as I had watched and followed baseball up until the last couple years or so, the GM job was the highest baseball position in the front office. For many franchises, this remains the case. In recent years, though, the "President of Baseball Ops" title has become the new job that top-ranking officials want. General Managers still exist in the front office structures, but it's very clearly now a job beneath being the PoBO. This situation here seems very similar to the reason why Cherington left Boston after Dombrowski was hired - sure, Cherington still had the GM title, but everybody knew he had been stripped of his authority, so being GM at that point was tantamount to a demotion. It's the same reason why I'll snicker if anyone gives Jed Hoyer credit in Chicago (which no one does) or Farhan Zaidi credit in LA (which no one else does either), because what their actual jobs are, and what their job title suggests, are not the same thing. It just allows for having better business cards and being able to create more credibility in conversation, in addition to getting more baseball brains in the organization I guess as well (can't be 100% cynical on this), than actually having any authority in the front office.

Shapiro was the head of the Indians' org for many years. He's used to having authority in how the roster is built, how the farm is handled, etc. Anthopolous has been the final decision maker for the Blue Jays' roster since the 2009-'10 off-season. He, too, is used to having authority. Anthopolous just built a team that won 93 games and came within a hair of reaching the World Series, and that was a team who's record was actually the byproduct of underachieving and bad luck for the first 60% of the season, no less. He built an excellent team and pulled the trigger on going for it all at a time when it made sense - no one in the division was particularly good and the AL was wide open. I applaud AA's efforts this season. Overall, since 2010, the Jays have had more winning records than losing records. At the same time, when the Jays were out trying to get Duquette to be the next President last off-season, the writing was pretty much on the wall then. Hiring a baseball person like Shapiro to eventually replace Beeston was very likely to end up with this result. It might just be part of the reason AA pulled the triggers on Tulo and Price (especially Price) - if he was going to be gone one way or the other, then why would he care about the long-term health of the Jays? Let someone else clean up the messes he may leave behind. In the mean-time, he built a better resume' for his next job.

To get back to the beginning very briefly, though - that's been something I just get so entirely cynical about in today's MLB front office culture - the inflated job titles. It also makes it just a bit more difficult to remember at times "wait, so is the GM position still meaningful in that org, or is there a higher-up position now? Can't remember". In the examples mentioned - Epstein runs the Cubs, and Friedman runs the Dodgers. It's ok to admit it. The only difference is delegating the rubbish like day-to-day roster moves and such to the GM so that they have time to focus on more important stuff instead. The GM's in those org's, and a few others, are puppets. It's what AA wanted to avoid being forced to be under Shapiro in Toronto. I can't blame him for wanting to GTFO.

spacer.png

It's kinda the same way with the Phillies. When Pat Gillick came back to be team president last year, he became the final say on trades, effectively demoting now Red Sox batting practice pitcher Ruben Amaro Jr. RAJ did all the leg work, but then Gillick said yes or no. Probably why they did so well with some of their late season moves.

Now, Andy McPhail is the president, and the brand new GM is essentially just the bitch who does all the analytics and reports up to MacPhail, who is the one calling the shots and telling the GM what to do.

Similar in the NFL, how the Eagles official GM is really just the head of scouting, since Chip Kelly is the one in charge of personnel.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived